990 parked up for 6 months won't start

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Rich2wd, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Rich2wd

Rich2wd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    G'day all, I have a 2007 990 Adv low mileage 6000 km's in great condition. The bike was parked up for about 6 months while I completed a traineeship (read empty wallet, bike not registered), yesterday I went to give it a birthday with an oil change and that's when my troubles started....

The battery (factory original) was understandably dead, knackered so much so it won't charge. No worries I'll jump start from the cars battery, no good. With or without the bikes battery hooked up to the bike the car battery will not turn the 990's motor over. The tacho needle jumps at the turn of the key but when you hit the go button nothing.

I have checked all the fuses and I can turn the engine over by hand by the rear wheel with a lot of effort. I should be able to jump start the bike, correct? Where do I go from now?

Cheers Rich
  2. Eataz

Eataz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have you flipped the red "killer switch" next to your throttle? :D
  3. Rich2wd

Rich2wd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes I did, thanks :thumb
  4. RB450

RB450 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there a kickstand kill on these? Make sure it's in neutral.
  5. T-Mac

T-Mac orange

Oddometer:
    Does the fuel pump make noise when you switch on the key? Red button off, Neutral on (or clutch lever pulled)?
    According to the owner's manual: "Jump starts are not recommended since they can damage the motorcycle's electronic system".
  6. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    Since you have to get a new battery start with that.
    Install on bike and hook up to charger overnight to make sure it is fully topped off.

Then try starting the bike, even though you hooked it up to the car battery you might be using bad jumper cables or just dont have a good enough connections for the amperage draw of the starters need top be supplied.

Save yourself a lot of effort, start with a new battery installed in the bike then trouble shoot.

On these bike batt issues can drive you crazy.

I am going to assume you have already done all the obvious stuff regarding the gas and such if not....
  7. NKL

NKL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What he said.
  8. Rich2wd

Rich2wd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks fella's, I'll order a new battery which has to come all the way over from the east coast. It will take a week or so and then I'll go from there.

Cheers Rich
  9. Peanuts

Peanuts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful but often rainy North Yorkshire, UK
    You could have got a battery from a Honda dealer.....

While you are waiting, check the earth lead is clean and tight, check the connectors on the solenoid are clean and tight.
  10. Rich2wd

Rich2wd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All sorted, thanks for the replies. Picked up a Power Volt Nano Gel battery today, cranks the engine up no problem at all.

Cheers Rich