The KDX thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by gplassm, Aug 13, 2010.

1. HippyJoe1

HippyJoe1 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How about the white rad shrouds and black front number plate (do I spy a Husky tag)? That's sharp!

It seems KDX plastic is not so easy to come by unless you want factory colors these days.
  2. Huskyfatman

Huskyfatman Stinky Wizzleteats

Oddometer:
    Thanks, yeah I snagged the white shrouds on ebay, I think they only came on '98s or '97s, black KX front fender, Husky head light, and a black Maier mx rear fender. I've had a couple guys mistake it for an older Gas Gas.
  3. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Well the old Gas Gas did have a very KX look about them, in fact KX plastics would actually fit them (not sure what year though).:norton
  4. IDRIDR

IDRIDR Take me to the River

Oddometer:
    03 KDX220
    Bike came with no headlight (was replaced with a number plate), tail light (had been replaced with an MX fender), or lighting switch.

Picked up one of these universal headlights http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREEN-RACIN...TFIGHTER-ENDURO-CROSS-UNIVERSAL-/251192882614
    35W incandescent with a high and low beam setting plus a 5W incandescent lamp that I assume is a parking lamp.

And one of these Acerbis tail lights http://acerbis.com/prodotto_detail.php?idp=788

Up front, I find these available wires (red and yellow):

[​IMG]

And these in back (red and black/yellow):

[​IMG]

Voltage measurement on the yellow wire alone was about 49 VAC at idle. This seems low. A little searching around indicates non-regulated voltage should be 100+ VAC.

Yellow connected to the red (I believe this is now connecting the voltage regulator) was about 3.5 VAC idle, and up to 4.2 VAC with some rev. I did NOT connect either the tail light or head light loads.

In referring to the wiring diagram on page 14-5 of the KDX200 1994 first edition service manual, the yellow wire connects to red via the lighting switch, and the red then powers the headlight and taillight and connects to the regulator.

So, to the questions. The regulated voltage of 3.5 to 4.2 VAC does not seem right and I was expecting to see around 12-13 volts. And unregulated voltage of about 50 VAC is low compared to only one other reference I could find. Does this seem like a voltage regulator problem? Or is this a magneto problem? Do I need to connect a load to the regulator to check voltage?

As a side note, once this power issue is resolved a Vapor computer will be installed. Rewinding the magneto for higher output is being considered but I didn't want to do this yet unless necessary.
  5. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure, but I don't think wood screws are stock either.
  6. IDRIDR

Oddometer:
    That's the PO's license plate affixed to the inside fender :rofl
    I find it so comical I've not been able to remove it yet. :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
  7. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spooned a paddle tire on the KDX and we're headed to Little Dakar at Little Sahara in Waynoka, OK. :p3rry

Although I have newly acquired a 520exc, I couldn't leave the KDX at home.

I'll probably post some pics and vids next week.
    [​IMG]
  8. barko1

barko1 barko1

Oddometer:
    I have a plated KDX with a bigger tank, KX front end, and more. Street plate her in NM, think I may be selling if anyone is interested. Great shape, newer top end. 2200
  9. IDRIDR

Oddometer:
    Here's an update for anyone curious.

When revved up, unregulated voltage surpassed 100VAC
    Connected the 35W headlight resulted in regulated voltage of a bit over 10VAC. Revved up it actually dropped to the high 9s VAC. I expected to see closer to 12VAC. 70W headlight load dropped the voltage very low (don't recall the value). I plan to test once more with a lower rated load.
  10. edm11

edm11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I loved my 93. Such a forgiving, reliable & fun woods bike. Made me a better rider than I am.

[​IMG]
  11. JT

JT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I may be wrong, but I believe the factory lighting coil is only rated at 30 watts. The factory headlight bulb is stamped 25/25w. I added a 1157 tail/brake light and if I hit the brakes with the headlight on, all the lights go out. To pass inspection, I had to turn off the headlight when the inspector wasn't looking and then show him the brake light. Worked long enough to get a tag. :1drink
  12. IDRIDR

Oddometer:
    Thanks. The '94 edition service manual lists the headlight as 12V30W and taillight at 12V10W so I assumed the stock lighting coil was rated for at least 40W. I don't know the last time this bike had lighting on it (I picked it up in September '14) and it doesn't surprise me that the lighting coil may not support a 35W load. I'll test the regulator with a smaller load and I picked up a used regulator from ebay cheap to see if it makes any difference. Also picked up a honda 2-pin rectifier that I'll use for running the acerbis LED taillights. A lighting coil rewind is planned for the future, but at least this will give me some light output in the meantime.
  13. frogy130

frogy130 Single Tracker

Oddometer:
  14. IDRIDR

Oddometer:
    Found this over on the other forum. For a laugh...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UftJBg0m_gc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  15. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I maybe going to look at a KDX 200 in Indiana. It is titled. I think all the bearings are in need of replacing. Installed light kit is not working. May have never had a piston replaced. I would say over all shape is bad. I would plan ona ground up rebuild to be done by some time next year. What do you all think the bike is worth. If I get it for 1200 am I paying too much?
  16. dirtysouthjacket

dirtysouthjacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got mine for $1500 in pretty much pristine enduro race ready condition and it was also titled. I did have to drive 10 hours though. And I was picky and it was another ADV member who was awesome. But I don't think I got a steal, more like a good deal.

I think that $900-1000 depending on what aftermarket stuff is on it. If you are going to have to put a bunch of money into it to make it yours and get it up to good running condition you might want to look somewhere else. $1500-1700 for a really good maintained one is pretty easy to find. If you are patient, under $1500 for a sorted one isn't too hard either. If you are limited by budget then I say save up. Nothing like trying to get something cheap trying to save money, then being out of money, and then bleeding out money in spurts as you find more and more issues. The good news is there aren't many bikes that are as reliable and parts are so cheap and plentiful. They are awesome bikes, I've don't think I'll ever sell mine. The first couple trees that it put me in didn't have me thinking that way (it is my first and only two stroke), but I eventually got use to the clutch and power band. :jack

Good luck, act like your favorite used car salesman and get a deal! Post up a pic if you get it! Projects are also fun! I'm getting a KX125 in a couple weeks from a coworker that needs to be put back together and a piston.
  17. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the responce. I am leaning towards passing on it. I have a suspention swap and big bore KLR project on the horizon. GF needs a bike that will give her every advantage on the dirt. But reminded me the garadge is full.
  18. tonusmaximus

tonusmaximus maximus Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 92 kdx200 if let go cheap. Aftermkt header. Good shape. Pm me if interested.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
  19. seasider

seasider Just a rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I picked up a 2000 220r 6 years ago and traveld from va to maine to get it. Great stock condition with original piston ( still in play after about 80 hrs under my ownership.....I know.!) and I paid 1200. Awesome bike for woods and trail. Just buy a decent one. They are out there for that kind of cash. Also had mine plated.......Va is pretty easy.
  20. epix1718

epix1718 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My buddy has a 97ish KDX200 he's letting go as he's into sport bikes now and he just wants it gone as he needs garage space.. He bought it from original owner 3 years back whom kept the bike in great condition and has quite a few aftermarket bits. Aftermarket wheels, Vapor dash, FMF Pipe, Street Legal Lights kit, fully street legal MI title, etc.

He's offered it to me for $1000, I really don't *need* it as I have a WR250R but just curious what the value on the bike might be?

Picture of bike:
    [​IMG]