User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #16
Scapadu
Motomaniac

Oddometer: 826
the test

I went to my dealer today and explained about the vibration that is still here. While in the shop i saw they had a demo F800GS with 1400km only (similar to mine) on the clock and the same Pirelli Scorpio on it. I asked to do a test ride with it in order to see if the same bike same tires results in the same vibrations.

Result: Yes it does have the same vibration, to tell the truth it is with a bit less intensity but it was there. So either it is the general bike problem or it is the front tires.

Visit Corsica Corsica Photo
Scapadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:48 PM   #17
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by thematt View Post
Standard troubleshooting process for vibes:

Tighten ALL visible bolts to spec
Check your rear shock mount points
Check your front fork and bar mount points
Check your axles for good measure
Try different tires - some will vibrate at different speeds where others have no vibration at all
Take luggage off if you have it

Process of elimination really. My F800 was doing the EXACT SAME THING a month or so ago, turns out my luggage rack mount points were loose. But it did it at the same speed - 40mph in 3rd and only with luggage.
+1 on that ....
Also there is a bolt on top of the catalytic converter that has been loose or missing on some bikes and caused a weird vibration...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:37 AM   #18
Scapadu
Motomaniac

I have planned a RdV with my Dealer for tomorrow morning for fixing that issue.
1-Will swap front wheel with another F800GS same year model, same milleage and same tyres (he has that bike and i have tried it already).
2-If problem disapear will change front tyre on my front wheel and reinstall it on my own bike.
3-If problem remain the same after wheel swapped, will then swap the rear wheel too.
4-If problem disapear with rear wheel swapped, will change rear tyre on my own and reinstall it on the bike.
5- If still have the problem with rear tyre changed, dealer will have to investigate on the wheel bearings and on the rear hub of the rear wheel.

However, either the problem is fixed tomorrow or dealer will keep the bike until he fixed it .
If the problem is at wheel level, the clue will be to change the failing one for a complete new one.

If it happen that the problem is not coming from the wheel i am afraid dealer will have to find myself another bike

Stay tune!

Old 12-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #19
Scapadu
Motomaniac

So here is the status:

1- Swapped the complet wheel with the one from another bike: No more problem.

2- put a brand new tyre on my own wheel and installed it back on my bike: Problem is back!

3- Dealer has ordered a new rim for replacing the one of my front wheel bike (hope this will end the story).

Next step next week (when new rim is arrived and installed )

Stay tune for (no) more vibration !

Old 12-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #20
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,163
Excellent!
It sounds like the problem has been identified
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:06 AM   #21
Scapadu
Motomaniac

So, end of the story, rim (the whole wheel exept Tyres and disk brake) changed and no more bad vibrations.
It looks like the wheel was not perfectly round but slightly oval

Old 12-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #22
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
@TO: when do you feel the shimmy? only if you slow down from higher speeds and let the bike roll or do you also have it riding constant or accelerating?
7 out of 10 times front wheel shimmy is caused by something going wrong with your rear wheel. I know that this sounds weird but it is as it is and I'd suggest you give it a try and chek your rear wheel. its sometimes starting or getting worse when the rear tire gets worn. it also could help to increase preload. however, if it does not help it'd be worth a try.

pls forgive me possible spelling/grammar errors, my English isn't the best
good luck
steve

edit: ooops, missed that you solved that one. sorry
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #23
Tatnall007 OP
b00b

Oddometer: 114
A different front wheel did not cure my problem. I have sort of learned to live with it though since it is more of an annoyance than anything else (no handling issues or odd tire wear).

Tatnall007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:50 AM   #24
Sapper33
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Does anyone else get a hand-numbing vibration at 4500-5000 RPM?

I just purchased an 09 F800GS, and the girlfriend rides a 2012 F800ST, and we both notice it, so figure it's probably inherent of the 800 twin. It's not anything that feels unstable, just enough that it starts to put my hand to sleep after 15-20min. Thinking soft gel grips and a throttle lock are probably the easiest methods to deal with it.
Sapper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #25
rchrds
Head Doucher

Oddometer: 117
I currently have the same shimmy at 45 (wobbles almost to out of control with hands off) which I suspect creates the hand-numbing vibration at 4500 in 6th, or about 75mph. I am sure the wheel is out of round due to a nice little bump into a ditch at too high a speed. Interesting to hear the same problem, all fixed with a new wheel. I will also be purchasing a new wheel, but from Woody.
rchrds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #26
GoFasterPB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper33 View Post
Does anyone else get a hand-numbing vibration at 4500-5000 RPM?
My bike has always been buzzy around there, but lately something else has come into play. On throttle (say more than 25% open) between 4800 and 5500rpm, there is a bigger vibration through the pegs and bars. Once you ease back to cruising (maybe 5-20% open throttle?), the bike calms down to the normal, lighter, buzzing. Checked what fasteners I can see, removed my skid plate, and no change was noticeable.

Bike is smooth at most other speeds and again, only starts vibrating badly when you grab a handful of throttle. Sixth gear this means 80-90mph. This is worse than normal and makes it difficult crunching highway miles with all the 1200GS guys.

Next step I guess is to try it in neutral, check the chain, and rear wheel/axle maybe? Any other ideas?
GoFasterPB is offline   Reply With Quote