What Annoys you about your Adventure 1190?

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by sjp3003, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    anybody here heard about a recall to check the Air Box on the bike?
  2. paturoa

paturoa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just had my 1k service and it was not mentioned. They only talked about the key and side stand recalls for mine.

What is the rumour / issue?
  3. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    I have to take mine in for an inspection of the air box next week, that will take between 1 and 1.5 hours - apparently some air boxes don't seal properly, which could result in dust getting into the engine

what is the story about the side stand? I've fitted a camel toe and mine seems fine now
  4. Tancakar

Tancakar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How did you find that out? If our ones have a problem too? How do we find out ?
  5. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    My dealer emailed me - we have the UK/AUS bikes here in SA
  6. Dearnla

Dearnla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had mine only a few days now but have covered 400 miles so far.

Irritations for me are:-
    Stiff side stand
    Windscreen too low
    Indicator switch
    Seat is a bit hard

Oh, and that I'm having to wait for my panniers and top box to come in!

So, I can manage the side stand by adopting the technique of using my boot heel to push it up, I can live with the indicator switch, but I've ordered the high screen option ( nearly 4" over std.) and I'll wait and see on the seat. I need to do longer stints in the saddle to see...

I popped into a different dealer the other day and they had one in ready to go that was fitted with the Ergo seats. Mmmmm, soft......I'm not sure I ever need a heated seat, but ....

I have felt the heat on my left boot, and I've noticed thighs getting warm behind the fairing, which will be good in October but less so for summer. But then I do live in England, so that's only going to be a problem for about 10 days a year.:rofl
  7. paturoa

paturoa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't know what the issue was, but it definetly a lot easier to use, both up and down after whatever they did.

Camel toe! lol I'm going to cut off the small plate and weld a much larger plate on the bottom this weekend.
  8. Dr. Wolf

Dr. Wolf gpl

Oddometer:
    Here in north ITALY where in summer temperature in july/august rise up well over 30 celsius the R is unpleasent to ride! I think that Ktm eng. Just test the bike on Grossglockner road.
    Ciao
  9. umitc

umitc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 everything else can be overcome; but the heat takes all the fun away.
  10. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    time will tell when summer hits South Africa in Oct/Nov/Dec - At the moment I can feel the heat from the engine more on left side, but it's not a problem as it's relatively cool here now
  11. Tancakar

Oddometer:
    It is very high heat. Today London is 26 degrees and fuck,sitting in the traffic, the heat from the bike is unbearable .

I still got a feeling this bikes boils the petrol! I can smell the fucking petrol.
    Well I will be at ktm tomorrow again ! It has been 3 weeks I have been there every Saturday.
  12. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    nah, there must still be a problem with your bike - I've never smelled any fumes.... Fill the bike up and take it to the dealer - let them sort it!
  13. DavidD

DavidD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Threads and posts like this :eek1

What's happened!?! You go away and ride your bike for a few weeks and OC turns into GSpot!! Reading this and all the other moaners on here you would think KTM had produced a lemon and that you can tell a 1190 rider cos his left thigh is on fire, he has bloodshot eyes from all the buffeting and he cries himself to sleep every night cos the indicator button is so whatever - not so, it is a superb bike!!

I have had my new 1190R 6 weeks and I have done 3000 miles. 1300 of them to watch Rossi win his first MotoGP in 3 years at Assen in Holland, on a trip via Normandy France and the Ardennes in Belgium with my brother on his Suzuki GSXR 1000.

The 1190R has perfomed way beyond my expectations, it has carried all our camping kit to Europe, commuted each week into London - filtering past everything, and carried my wife to the coast.

It is a different bike to my 990's and better for what I need in almost every way. The power is just there when you need it wth no glitches in the fueling, the Akrapovic pops and burbles on the over-run, the brakes are in a different league to what went before, the standard seat is all-day and I mean 600 mile all-day comfortable, you get a 200 mile tank range if you behave yourself, less if you don't and the mirrors give you great rear vision. But best of all its not a GS. It may have lost some of the Rally styling of the 950/990, but it still has the KTM DNA and it still looks and feels like my Enduro bike, especially the bars.

Anything annoying, well all I can think of and I am struggling here, is the little storage unit near the dash - it is useful (I keep a small front wheel disk lock in there) but the closing mechanism is cheap and weak. Also if you ride over 95 mph (150 KM) or higher for prolonged periods, it can get a little vibey in your throttle hand.

Errrr that's it...................

Yes you can feel the heat on your left thigh, but it is nothing to write home about, maybe if you are stuck in traffic in 30 degrees C or above - but the radiator temp does not move - it stays at 4 bars regardless of how you ride, even in traffic. The indicator switch really is not a problem, you just get used to it. And there is no buffeting - I am 5' 10" and on the highest setting (to fit my sat nav) it is absolutely fine.

I loved my 990R but the 1190R has moved things on and I am just enjoying every ride - I just hope I get to keep my licence - cos it brings out the naughty boy in you on every ride.....
  14. 6732cash

6732cash Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It seems that the modern bike rider forgets he is riding a motorbike....maybe some of them should buy a Lexus
  15. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    you have to remember, many of us came from other brands, which obviously was KTM's intention - nothing said here, has been a deal breaker and not a single owner has regretted his purchase..... so lets settle down a bit and accept some criticism, that I'm sure KTM appreciates, as it's free advice, that can be rejected
    borderm3 likes this.
  16. Dr. Wolf

Dr. Wolf gpl

Oddometer:
    Absolutely agree with you guys! Bike is perfoming in every spot.
    I had a 950s my05 and was a fantastic bike, i try also the GS1,2 great bike but no emotion.
    So i went back to the 950 but unfortunately it has been stolen.
    after the sad moment i was passing through a 690 and an Africa queen!
    Now i just got this great bike, was not easy to choose among the 990 MY2013 or the 1190 R
    I'm happy like a small kid, my wife help me, actually push me to buy a new bike for my half century birthday.

Lots of thinks have been written on this amazing forum who made me turn to the 1190.
    Thanks to all you for your continuous support.
  17. Tancakar

Oddometer:
    No mate actually today I have some petrol in my left foot its all coming out from overload pipe. And when I stop if I look at that exit pipe it's got fumes coming out from it .that isn't normal.

For the last 5 years I ride the most advance bikes and ktm is one of them . As a 14000£ paid customer I do have so expectations from the bike. I am happy with the bikes performance so far no problems . But mainly the things I am concern about the ktm technicians . I don't know how trained they are for this new bike? Are they really know more then us about this bike?

I bought the bike 8 weeks ago had my first service done and no problems but little annoying things which should have been sorted in the service.

First fuel problem I was having 28 mpg ! Go to the dealer they reset the ECU and 34 mpg in the city now which is ok.

Secondly my keys of the panniers wasn't fitting . They order me a set of keys 2 weeks to arrive and bam they are not fitting too. And then they customise it now my left bag doesn't come out from the rail. Tomorrow they will sortin out.

Now the third one I smell petrol in the traffic. London got some rush hour traffic and around that time the bikes get heat . Which isn't pleasant anyway but the petrol smell is almost dangerous . And I just missed my gear shift and look down my feet got petrol on it? I know there is a overflow pipe if the petrol tank is too full it gets the overfill out but I did have low fuel signal for god sake.

Forth yesterday as I was parking in Mayfair London I have got a low oil warning! Check the oil and it was almost empty in the screen. Called the dealer to ask the type of the oil they told me motorex 10w50 fully synthetic . Looked every where couldn't find in central London. ! Find it in else where which I travel with tube. Castrol 10w50 . I was missing 400 ml oil which is upsetting for me I am on 1350 miles . The told me it can loose oil some engines when they are new they do lose it. Fair enough.

I had 2010 kawasaki Gtr 1400 , Ducati diavel carbon, Ducati 769 hypermoto, 2012 Kawasaki zzr1400, Suzuki burgman 650 , and never had a oil problem before or fuel.for god sake even ducati diavel was 36 mpg in city :)

Anyways the reason I am not getting rid of 1190 is I always give second and third chance to everything. I think it is truly a brilliant bike and all bikes got some silly problems . Hope fully ktm will make some heat shelds for the future customers I know that we are sort of beta testing the bike .

1190 is still a bike. Would recommend anyone to buy and enjoy cause it worths the money.
  18. DavidD

DavidD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tancaker - a deep breath, relax and..................breathe.................

KTM's, like BMWs like a bit of oil, especially when they are running in. Just before my trip to Europe I checked the level on the centre stand and topped it up to its max, at the campsite I did a school boy error, looking at it on the side stand and it was fine. But on getting back after 1300 fast road miles it needed 600ml to top it up. Nothing to worry about, you just need to keep an eye on it, it does settle down a little, but you will always use oil between services. You need a supply of the stuff in your garage and on the big road trips (1000 mile plus) maybe carry a small 500ml bottle.

Re the rest of your comments, two tihings - firstly it sounds like you have an issue with your particular bike - one that needs to be fixed, especially if it involves fuel. Second you have an issue with your dealer. London KTM dealers (if you can find one) are ok at selling bikes but not so great with warranty work or servicing - I would head out of Town to one of the more established and experienced dealers. Take your pick there are a few - have a look at the UK KTM forum and you will get loads of reviews of dealers and their service levels etc.

I work in London but live in the South West and I would not let any London dealer touch any of my bikes. Near me you have Crescent (WSB Team) in Verwood near Ringwood and further out near Plymouth you have JD Racing in Saltash, but there are lots of others north of London. What I am trying to say is make a day of it and travel out, enjoy the trip and get your bike looked after properly.

Certainly do not let poor dealer service ruin what is a superb bike.

Hope you manage to sort it................:D
  19. DavidD

DavidD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kawasaki GTR 1400 - Check
    Ducati Diavel Carbon - Check
    Kawasaki ZZR1400 - Check
    Suzuki Burgman 650?1? - Aaaaahhhh :eek1 Sssshhh - I would keep that quiet if I where you!!!

Anyway - fuel economy, in London in traffic I am getting 40/42 miles per imperial gallon, on the long runs and riding very enthusiastically I am getting 48 mpg, sometimes more. So referring back to my earliar reply you have a problem. It should be going into your engine not on your foot.
  20. Babatad

Babatad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did the first 200km ride on the bike today keeping the revs friendly during the break in period and omg this bike is amazing. Really need to be careful on the throttle, so easy to go from 0-100. Scared myself a couple times but haven't ridden a bike that makes me smile as much as I did today.

The amount of stares and head turning the bike gets while parked is a perk all KTM 1190 Adv riders are enjoying no doubt. Can't wait to ride it again.