Motorcycle Rentals and sales in Kenya -

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by acrossafrica, Sep 7, 2012.

1. acrossafrica

acrossafrica Braap!

Oddometer:
    check us out at www.motoadvkenya.com - we have motorcycle rentals- & sales - Guided and Unguided tours - as well as rent gear for that transit adventurer- look us up better yet ask those questions and we will be happy to point you in the right direction- our contacts are US and Kenya as per website - Happy Trails!
    thirsty 1 and KKeltner like this.
  2. KKeltner

KKeltner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wondering about information riding in Kenya and rentals
  3. De Buurman

De Buurman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Making plans for my next trip, I was wondering what the possibilities are to travel to or from Kenya/Tanzania to Europe (where I live).

1. Is it possible for a European to buy a motorcycle in Kenya and get the paperwork done in a few days (ownership and insurances; I don't want to spend weeks in one city to arrange this, I want to get on the road).
    2. What does a bike cost at a dealer? (at your website there are a few bikes without pricing, could you for example tell me the price of the used KLR and XR650L and their mileages?)
    3. Is it possible to import a European bike in to Kenya, or is it not worth the effort? (for example in Argentina it will cost you 50% of the catalog price (new price) just for the taxes, so it's not feasible)
    4. Do you know what shipping a bike from Kenya to Europe will cost?

(I've also send these questions by email to the company, but maybe it's also interesting for others here on the forum)
  4. De Buurman

De Buurman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've received an answer by email:

We apologize for the late response, below we have tried to respond to your requirements as best as we can.

1. Is it possible for a European to buy a motorcycle in Kenya and get the paperwork done in a few days (ownership and insurances; I don't want to spend weeks in one city to arrange this, I want to get on the road). No, you need a tax ID and a resident ID however there possible legal workarounds that will facilitate this.
    2. What does a bike cost at a dealer? (at your website there are a few bikes without pricing, could you for example tell me the price of the used KLR and XR650L and their mileages?)
    The KLRs start at $6500 while the XR $7500and these are duty paid and registered with titles/logbooks which you need for border crossing or to acquire the C32 border control form.
    3. Is it possible to import a European bike in to Kenya, or is it not worth the effort? (for example in Argentina it will cost you 50% of the catalog price (new price) just for the taxes, so it's not feasible) Not worth the pain.
    4. Do you know what shipping a bike from Kenya to Europe will cost? Shipping varies from one shipper to another with that said costs we run between $900 - $1600 . depending on how much handling and prep work in involved. Taxes excluded.

Regards
  5. random1781

random1781 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Little late reply here, but I rented a KLR from MotoADV Kenya a while ago and had a great experience both dealing with them and riding around the country. Happy to answer any questions anyone might have.
  6. Rocky Mountain Motos

Rocky Mountain Motos On a long leash

Oddometer:
    Hello. I looked on your website but didn't see any rental info. If you're still offering rentals, can you please PM details? Thanks.
  7. random1781

random1781 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't think they're really active on here, but their facebook seems busy:

https://www.facebook.com/MotoAdvKenya/
    Rocky Mountain Motos likes this.