How Much Would you Pay for theses Bikes?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Mr. C, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Mr. C

Mr. C I need more bike time!!

Oddometer:
    Hi, all.

I have a relative that is moving to BC and has decided to sell all of his bikes. Here is what he has:

1993 Yamaha YZ80 with a complete 0 hour rebuild (top and bottom).

1979 Yamaha IT 175 Never has been rebuilt, but it runs and has a new after market carb on it.

Two complete 1981 Kawasaki KZ750 bikes (the 4 cylinder engine). Both running and one that is a daily driver.

He is a trust worthy guy and has told me that they all run but will need some work (he has all the parts needed, but the move came on quickly so he has to bail).

What do you think these bikes would be worth? I am mostly interested in the IT as a nice retro dirt bike and the KZ750 since I have heard that the power plants on those things are bullet proof.

Thanks for any help on this.

Peter
  2. Lappeman

Lappeman He's Down Again!

Oddometer:
    Ask or Pay?

Most people seem to ask a bit more than what I would pay :evil

Pay would be $875 for the yz, $375 for the IT (I owned one, would rather have a 83 IT200) and about $1200 to $1500 for the KZ's each depending of course on mileage, etc. My 2 cents anyway. Good luck with the sales!
  3. Mr. C

Oddometer:
    I will be paying, so the lowest possible is ideal! :D

I think I am the most interested in the 2 KZ's. I have always liked that type of bike, so this may be my chance. I will make an offer on the Kawi's and see maybe if I can make a package deal with the IT in there as well (again, I wouldn't mind playing with an old 2 stroke).

Thanks for the information, it certainly helps, and all your suggestions are close to what I was thinking.
  4. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    I will only comment on the KX750's... It will be a small resale market for these bikes. Not that many buyers looking for plain Jane KZ's, if they are LTd's, maybe a little more value.
    Depending on the milage, I would say more than $1000.00.
  5. Mr. C

Oddometer:
    Well, I ended up buying the two KZ750s and the IT. The IT starts first kick and is all original. The seat is taped up, so I can hopefully find a seat or a cover.

I paid $400 for the IT and less than $1000 for each of the KZs (with a whole boat load of extra parts thrown in).

I don't know if it was the best deal, but these people could really use the cash so I didn't try to get him down any further. He has done some great things for me in the past, so I don't mind over paying a bit to give him a hand.

So...now I have more projects than I ever needed!! :lol3

I will be posting the YZ for him in the classifieds if anyone is interested in it.

Thanks for the replies, and I will post some pics once I have the bikes in my garage.
  6. Lappeman

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you made out pretty good! Enjoy!
  7. McJamie

McJamie STROMINATOR

Oddometer:
    You did just fine, and inspite of comments to the contrary, the standard KZ's are more valuable than the LTD models, and they will have a much larger market if you ever choose to sell them again. The standard KZ's shared alot of parts( along with the GPZ's) over thier life span, making the aquisition of parts a little easier. They work quite well in almost what ever situation you want to put them in.The engines are nearly unbreakable and can be coaxed into making plenty of horsepower( if you want to spend the money).
    I don't know much about the IT's. I did work for a Yamaha dealer, but it was in the early-mid 90's, and they were gone by then. I know the guys that owned them , really liked them.
    Pictures please.
  8. Mr. C

Oddometer:
    I have looked at KZ750 ads, and they seem to have a large variance in asking prices. I see them for $500 all the way up to $3000. No matter what, I think I will at least make my money back if I did decide to sell them. Even if I break even, it will be fun tinkering with them.

I just noticed that the Yamaha IT that I bought has a green ownership and it is designated as MS on the ownership. If I am not mistaken, I think I may be able to get a blue plate for it. It wouldn't be a good street machine, but a blue plate is nice when travelling between trails and riding on certain dirt roads. I didn't realize that the IT was able to be street legal.

I will need to put on a brake light switch, horn, mirror, and chain guard, but I think it would be well worth it!

I will have the bikes next week, so I promise pictures then!
  9. Lappeman

Oddometer:
    I think they changed the law and if it wasn't previously "Blue Plated" then you will not be able to "Blue Plate" it now. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong. Only specific bikes now can be "Blue Plated", in Canada anyway from what I understand.

And ya, I like the KZ's too...cool bike!
  10. Mr. C

Oddometer:
    Even if I have the ownership that designates it a street motorcycle?
  11. Lappeman

Oddometer:
    Note sure on that one, you might want to phone your local licencing office...you may have a chance. Good luck!
  12. Dusty Boots

Dusty Boots Wanderin Saddle Tramp

Oddometer:
    Had an IT when the 175s 1st came out (77?) I had rode the 465 and the 400, but I felt they were too heavy
    It ran pretty strong but then I noticed I had to lay on the tank to hit 120kph WTF! I pulled the head off of it and discovered the pin that keeps the piston rings from floating around backed out and scoured the cylinder. My Dealer (Robbie Egan/Broklyn Cycle Clinic) got me all the parts under warranty (manufacturer's defect) and I had to pay $18 for the bore job (3rd oversize)
    After that, bike was not only very reliable again, but was a real weapon being clocked at over 150kph! :evil No problem to twist the throttle and pick the front wheel up when going 120kph :wink:
    Wish I had kept that bike, but seeing as I had a purchased a 75 wing earlier in the year (78) I ended up selling the IT in the fall the following year to a 16 yr old kid.
  13. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it's old enough that it predates all the restrictions that exist today. Just take the paperwork and transfer/plate it. Don't let on that you think there might be an issue.
  14. McJamie

McJamie STROMINATOR

Oddometer:
    It will be easier if the bike is older. I have also heard that the licence office in Millbrook is more co-operative when it comes to licensing dirt bikes. But it would obviously need a safety in order to wear a street plate.
    Just show up with your ownership, the $25.00 transfer thingy they make you buy, and your safety. Then smile and say "yes, it is a street bike".
  15. Ridemuch

Ridemuch Ciao

Oddometer:
    My cousin sold 2 YSR 80 last year for $6000 for both.
  16. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

Actually, you are quite incorrect. The standard KZ's are worth WAY more than the LTD's, all early cruisers looked upon as orphans nobody wants. That said, a mint pre 1983 KZ750 is worth $3000 in current trends, so you subtract from those levels based on the machine's current condition. As these bikes have minimal to no race provenance, large production numbers, and are nice looking but not generally described as breathtaking, they will never reach lofty levels as true 4 star collectors.

BTW, I had a purchased new '84 KZ 750 L4. good bike, bulletproof engine, but sensitive to tires, and I remember a '1 hour' seat.