Subaru Mechanic Wanted

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by Looksgoodinblack, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Looksgoodinblack

Looksgoodinblack Long timer

Oddometer:
    1. Rear main seal - since the engine is out, you're right. Why not, the main seal leaks are common whem PCV valves are clogged. Mine is clear and looks like it was replaced fairly recent nut I don't knoe the service history and it is common sense to do it.
    2. Valve covers gaskets, etc. Good kits have them all included.
    3. Timing belt and auxilary belts. They will all go. Don't know the service history, it just makes sense.
    4. The oil pump. This is news for me. Thank you for pointing out.
    5. Tstat and hoses. I have a story to tell about these when I lost the engine because of old hose 1K kilometers after6 £Pa major overhaul.

6. Parts. All gaskets from Subaru even though I have issues with parts that are known to fail. Timing belt kit from aftermarket.

Cam shafts seals will be replaced and valves reseated and adjusted.

Thank you for pointing these out. If ther is anything else please let me know.

I've read about doing that but it may become more time consuming and doesnt give you the comfort of full access.
  2. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    There's also a cover plate on the back side of the engine that will leak. Make sure you replace that gasket as well.

Can't recall if you said stick shift or not but may as well put a clutch in it while you're in there.

2 grand is the target figure for doing the job outside the stealership, give or take a couple hundred. It can be done in the car, but only masochists do it that way on a 2.5.

Love Subarus, but the 2.5 head gasket nonsense and expensive timing belt jobs made me say "no thanks" after 2 of them. Once fixed, however, they seem to last forever.
  3. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    I did the timing belt and serpentine belts on my Impreza 2.5i for about $200.00. With Subie parts, I didn't think that was too bad.
  4. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Does the 13 still have belts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    No, thankfully the '13 has chains. I was speaking of my '08. I did the belt at 95,000, I believe 105,000 is recomended, and I was wondering why I changed it. Still looked fine, in fact the timing marks printed on the belt were still visible.
  6. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Ok thanks. Yea I prefer chains myself. 230k on my current car with chain. My dispatcher has, get this, over 500k on his corolla with original chain.

7. BluePill

BluePill AARP Slacker

Oddometer:
    When doing the timing belt, the oil pump is easy to get at and so is the front crankshaft seal. As I recall, the seal is pressed into the oil pump.
  8. Looksgoodinblack

Oddometer:

I just researched more and front seal is a go but unless its leaking I should nott touch the rear main seal.

So far all the quotes are about 14-15 hrs at the standard $100-110 per hour. Heads machining $90-$200.
    Interesting that even indpendent shops have mark ups on parts.

The best quote I got is from my Volvo mechanic, he's giving me my rate from five years ago at $70 per hr. I trust him with a Volvo and he swears he's done a few HG's in Soobies but... When I asked him does he have a manual to follow for torquing the head bolts he kind of got upset... Jeeze you have to be carefull with some personalities.
  9. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    What did he say when you asked him ?

10. Looksgoodinblack

Oddometer:
    "I dont need a book to do my job. You can always use somebody else."
  11. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Wow. So what will you do ?

12. Looksgoodinblack

Oddometer:
    Still lookin'
  13. justme23005

justme23005 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would be willing to do the job, if you can get the car to me. I was a mechanic for 21 miserable years.
  14. davek181

davek181 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I own an independent import repair shop way out here in the wilderness. We have done many Subaru headgaskets over the years. The job done right is in the $1500-$1800 range depending on head milling and the like. Occasional valve guide issues too, but not the norm. If Subaru could tame their headgasket problem they would be very close to Toyota like reliability. They seem to be trying, their gaskets and torque specs change frequently.

The headgaskets can be done with the engine in place or not at tech's discretion. I have done them both ways. My techs usually pull the engine feeling the time offset for ease of repair opposed to the additional time required to pull the engine is favorable. Some engine bays have less frame rail clearance too.

Sorry I can't recommend anyone close to you, but keep doing your homework and asking questions and you will find someone you feel good about. You might also put on your query list when shopping shops the question of whether they use genuine Subaru parts, or parts store parts. We use only genuine brand parts.
  15. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Is the head gasket still an issue with the late model engines ?

16. justme23005

justme23005 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The newer head gaskets are much better than the old ones, but still not as good as Felpro