KTM 450 rally / Rear tank

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by fimp, Mar 25, 2013.

1. fimp

fimp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi

I am looking at good pictures of the rear tank from the KTM 450 rally (ref KTM 7630721300028A).

Does any one of you have some pictures ?

Thanks a lot

Fred
  2. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    The tank is the same as the one used on the KTM 690 Enduro and SMC, except the area where those have a muffler is filled out a bit more.
  3. fimp

fimp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Lukas

Thanks for answering but I'm affraid you're wrong ! :-)))

The 690 SMC and the 690Enduro have the same rear tank (ref 7650701314433A). Its cost is 1253 euros all accessories included.

But the 450 RR have a different rear tank (ref 7630721300028A) and its design is definetly different. Its costs is 784 euros but without any accessories.

Any of you have some pictures of the 450 RR rear tank ? Thx

Fred
  4. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    You misunderstood my answer. Yes the 690 Enduro and SMC use the same tank.

The tank of the 450 Rally has the same basic shape as the 690 E /SMC, the only difference is that it is a bit more filled out on the left side in the area where the 690 has the muffler. The rear fender, the filler, the fixings to the frame, the cutouts on the bottom (fuel pump on 690, fuel tap on 450) are all the same.

If 12 liters is enough for you, you should be able to find a used 690 tank a lot cheaper than you can buy a 450 Rally tank. Then you can also tuck in the muffler so it is not as prone to damage as when mounted lower. I think a friend of mine has one, if you want I can ask.
  5. Xico

Xico Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here are some pictures of the tank already on a 690 (from Sam and Clare, that I found in Egypt on a RTW trip on 2x 690's with the 450 Dakar rear and front tanks!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. fimp

fimp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK
    But if you look at the draws in the KTM catalogs, the 450's tank looks very different from the 690's one. The shapes are quiet no the same...
    But the idea is good anyway as 12 liters could be enough...

Yes please ask your friend how much he would sell it (as the exact reference) and what accessories are included.

Thx

Fred
  7. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    can a 690 rear tank be made to fit 450/525/530/500 ? :ear
  8. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:
    That would be a big no , 690 trellis perimeter frame 450 ,530 back bone frame
    There be a hell of a lot of chopping and welding , it would be easier to fit a 450, 530 motor in. 690 frame .

If I get seriously bord one week end I might see if my 500 motor will fit in the 690 but that will be when the 690 motor is out get a 730 bib bore
  9. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would be most curious of this!! :clap
  10. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    I don't see how the frame type would make that much difference.

I thought it would be about the same amount of hassle as grafting a different subframe on (with the exception of air box and shock location)...
  11. rallyreplica

rallyreplica out and about

Oddometer:
    "But the 450 RR have a different rear tank (ref 7630721300028A) and its design is definetly different. Its costs is 784 euros but without any accessories."

Just out of curiosity...where are you getting this information? I'm looking at building a 450 rally inspired motorcycle and am looking for rear tanks. I can cut/chop/weld subframe to suit my needs but would rather buy professionally made rear tanks. Any info on how to purchase them would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Rally
  12. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:
    How to purchase , order from your KTM dealer and wait, been that that all rally parts are made for the factory race teams , you will have to wait until the team have there spares for dakar ,you might be lucky as there is a new model 2014 rally , they might release the strait away , I had to wait six months for my tanks
  13. Jan from Finland

Jan from Finland Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. italrally

italrally Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just fitted up a 450 rally tank (763 07 213 000 28A) to my '13 690 with no issues at all. Measured in fuel & chockers at 17.6 litres

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    josip01 likes this.
  16. Mellon

Mellon n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Runt Boy,

How is the rally tank holding up with the pannier? Did you have to make holes on the rear top of the tank for the pannier supports? As any photo I've seen of the rally tank doesnt seem to have these four mounting points?
    Oh and is the exhaust tank bracket rally also?
    Thanks
  17. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 450 Rally tank is exactly the same as the 690 Enduro/SMC, except that the exhaust cutout is not there so it holds about 4 liters more. The 4 holes on the top for a side and top rack are exactly the same. The 690 Rally has a completely different tank with no attachment points.

The exhaust bracket he is using there is custom, the stock 450 Rally one consists of two black steel plates, too thin IMO. Lyndon Poskitt Racing makes a nice stainless steel exhaust bracket that is welded together and much stronger than the Rally one.
    Cdubs likes this.
  18. Mellon

Mellon n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Lukas,

Thanks for the reply, thats perfect so just a few mods to my rear rack and I'll be good to go.

Just clicked on your link and realised you are the Lukas from the Races to Places videos :) Lokks like your trip is still on going...lucky you!
    I'm actually living in your home country Austria!

Thanks
    Derek
  19. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Mellon, Lukas has just about answered all your questions, LOL. The fittings for the tank are all the same, so itll fit right up no probs. The only thing is that it dosnt have the hole in the front of the tank for the pressure regulator for the FI. This wasnt an issue for me as I run an FCR carby on mine, so for me it was a hole I didnt have to plug, but youll have to make a cut to install it. As Lukas also alluded to, the exhaust bracket was a custom job I did myself from some 3mm aluminium plate & just fashioned it for looks. Got 36 litres bolt on now, so she gets some decent range at about 18Km/l fully loaded.

[​IMG]
  20. Mellon

Mellon n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting a picture was curious how your bike turned out...looks great!
    I didnt mention in my previous post as some might see it as sacrilege :) But I'm going to be putting the rear rack on a 2012 450RR...I've put a deposit down on the bike but havent seen it yet. So was wondering about the rear tank attachment points. I'll have to weld/alter the foot peg mounts and adjust the rack frame a bit but happy I dont need to touch the rear tank. Will also make up a new exhaust bracket as I've read the originals aren't reliable
    Thanks for the information