Australians touring North America

Discussion in 'Americas' started by jeff the chef, Mar 27, 2013.

1. jeff the chef

jeff the chef Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Yamaha Super Teneree and my wife and I will be arriving in Portland on July 3rd. to start an 11 week tour of Alaska, Canada and the U.S. We are planning to ride to Fairbanks via the Cassiar Hwy. then to Anchorage and on to Fairbanks. A few days rest and then on to Top of World Highway and Campbell Hwy. Then across North Central Canada around great lakes to Sault ste Marie and down into Wisconsin to visit family. After 10 day break that will leave us three weeks, we are then hoping to ride to New Orleans and back to Portland by Sept16th through northern New Mexico and Utah. We have estimated about 22,000km. We are expecting to a fair bit of riding on unsealed roads mostly in the north and are hoping to avoid major free ways if possible.

Hoping for some advise, I know this does sound ambitious but we have done a few long trips two up but not this long. We are expecting rain so we will be carrying wet weather gear but are not planning on any heated vests etc. but will bring warm cloth for layering.

We will be carrying camping gear for when motels are not available and too expensive. The bike is fitted out with aluminium panniers and top case and Givi 480 tank bag.

We would appreciate any feedback and hoping to meet some of you on our trip.
  2. YukonTracker

YukonTracker Ride your Way

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a fun trip! As for what to bring: less=more. certainly 2-up with camping gear. You can always buy extra clothing along the way if needed. Heated gear allows for more comfort in a greater temp range. Even though you're traveling in summer here, the north can throw some nasty surprises. Don't forget Deet, you'll need it!
  3. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bring the heated gear and leave the bulky clothing behind. The temp will vary by at least 50-60 degress F. during a day. You might wake up to 20 degree F weather and it will get up to 80-90 F degrees during the day. The heated gear will keep you warm and doesn't take a lot of space.
  4. manybike

manybike Omnipresent Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, you are almost guaranteed rain....often times it's cold rain.

You will have fun and will see some of the best scenery the planet has to offer.

If your route passes through Calgary, Alberta you are welcome to stay as my guests.

If interested just PM me.

Cheers
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    just stay of the Interstate roads as much as possible.
    there is a ton to see between those 2 areas.
    the national parks are spectacular in the US as are many of the western roads.
  6. Weird Bug

Weird Bug Weird BUG

Oddometer:
    I've been up in the area around Lake Superior in August and had over 100 degrees (38C) at the beginning of the week (Monday) and 40 degrees (5C) at the end of the same week (Friday) - with hail and rain on Wednesday!
  7. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    As for clothes have as many easy washout clothes as possible & few changes. Easier to buy more than waste space,etc.. Lodging-your "too expensive limit" may be realistic, maybe not? Some of the neatest places have very little to offer or it's pricey, espc. if you make a point to visit the national parks as mentioned above-must sees IMO! Pricing varies greatly too, esp if you don't reserve in advance online & cheaper & on certain days costs more, fills up,etc.. If you post your actual route you'll get even more ideas. The 100 deg comment was the norm last summer in lower 48-it was reason enough/hot enough for many to not even ride at times. I'd try for as much Rocky Mtn time during the hottest month as possible. Rain comes at any time for your dates but mostly thunderstorms in the summer. With the right gear it matters not for riding but makes for crappy camping after a long ride. Hopefully you'll stop & partake of the real places your going which means willing to stop, shut down & walk to where the best places are found. Slab or rural 2 lanes, it doesn't matter-you must walk to see the many of the best spots.Take that time or you'll never know whats been missed. Enjoy.
  8. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    When ya' hit the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, give me a shout!
  9. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    i would ride the Cassier both directions rather than continuing on the Alcan from Watson Lake, avoiding all the energy sector work from the mountains east all the way across Alberta. do not expect to find reasonable motel accommodations without some effort in that area. coming south from Alaska, ride down through Glacier into Montana rather than transit Canada from Alberta east. everything is less expensive in the States, plenty to see, higher speed limits, etc. you can still ride through Minnesota and pick up a route via Thunder Bay to the Soo on the north side of the lakes, then loop back through the UP via St. Ignace and into Wisconsin.

i met two pairs of Aussies the last time i was west, all said the riding was the best ever. two had purchased bikes in the states, the other two had shipped through Portland.

PM for additional detail if interested.
  10. Truenorth2005

Truenorth2005 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are planning a northern route through Canada / Edmonton-Saskatoon-Winnipeg shoot me a line and I can help you with routing to avoid the heavy truck traffic and put you on the secondary tarmac. You are welcome to stopover on our ranch on your way through.
  11. jeff the chef

jeff the chef Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I posted a few details awhile ago on our up coming trip to America. The time is getting closer, last week I rode our Super Tenere from Adelaide to Sydney (1400 km 14 hours) to load the bike onto the shipping container. It is due to arrive in Portland on July 5th, we will then fit all the new gear I have ordered on the bike and take off on the 8th. As our original post said we are planning to ride to Fairbanks via Hyder and Haines. Then a few days doing riding around the area and then TOW highway, Campbell Highway and northern Canada on our way to Wisconsin. Our route back hopefully will take us south to New Orleans (our favourite city) and back west with the intentions of riding Bear Tooth Highway, Going to the Sun Road and Lolo Motorway.
    Hope to see some other ADV riders on the road during our 11 weeks in America.
    As usual we would appreciate any advise and feedback.
    Jeffrey & Helen
  12. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I live at the intersection of Hwy 12 & 3. You are welcome to stay and have a BBQ when you come through. Do you have any idea when you will be going over the Lolo Motorway?
  13. Truenorth2005

Truenorth2005 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Jeffrey & Helen

Welcome to North America. I hope you found everything in order when you picked up your bike from the shipyard. Shoot me a line and I can give you some routing info from Meadow Lake to Minnesota. Any idea of an approx. date that you will be passing through Manitoba? The offer of lodging is still open or a coffee stop for sure. Whatever fits your schedule.
    I just rode a SuperT at the Yamaha demo day on wednesday and was quite impressed. It should be a very capable 2up tourer.

Bye for now
    Bill