Comparable boot to Sidi Adventure?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by SF_Rider, Jul 5, 2012.

1. SF_Rider

SF_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like I will be in need of a new boot ASAP. After 15,000 miles my adventures are literally falling apart. The company is going to help get the stitching repaired but the soles are also toast. Didn't realize these were going to be high maintenance items. I have mountain bike shoes and other moto boots from sidi that have perfumed for years-even close to a decade in the case of my mountain bike shoes which take a hell of a beating.

Looking for recommendations to replace these and ASAP.

This is the top sticking on the right foot. The left is about 85% as bad. The soles are basically in need of replacement. What a joke....

[​IMG]
  2. what car??

what car?? down the road

Oddometer:
    That's odd for them have such issues. Going on 17k on mine and still going strong. Trails, dirt roads, tarmac all weather, winter, summer, off seasons, hiking in them, worn them all day many times, few nights too. I live in no Colorado and ride year round (ktm 990). Not sure why such a difference in the two pair, but I know these have been great so far, so riding them on upcoming south ride. Seems odd, no company is perfect! Perhaps a bad batch...

what car??
  3. brownsr

brownsr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aerostich sells Sidi soles. Their combat touring boots are made by Sidi. I think I paid thirty dollars for the pair of replacements. You will need to find a cobbler to put them on.
  4. Sanders

Sanders Stogiesuckingsinglemalter

Oddometer:
    Confluence of the Mississippi and the St. Croix
    "moto boots from sidi that have perfumed for years" :lol3:lol3

Me too
  5. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Most of my SIDI's have perfumed quite profusely I have to admit. :rofl
  6. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    That is really sad. I think Sidi should take responsibility and replace them.

I have been quite pleased with my 15+ years old Sidi made Combat Touring Boots. I was thinking this boot would be the replacement for them in another few years but I am not liking what I am seeing here.
  7. Snowbound

Snowbound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I replaced my Combat Lites with Adventure Rains . The Lites are the same as the regular except shorter ,right ?
    In my experience the Adventure Rain is a better boot . I have 10 thousand miles on my Adventure Rain and other than an abrasion on the inside that I fixed with Toeguard they are good boots . Normally I wear Redwings for work so a quality boot is important to me .
    Have you talked to the store that you bought the boots from ?
  8. WindBlast

WindBlast Jesus and Tequila

Oddometer:
    The stitching on my left SAs are coming apart too in the same place. I only have about 4k on mine. Only Sidi's I have ever had an issue with. Did you go back to your dealer or deal with Sidi direct?
  9. ntm1973

ntm1973 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sidi really needs some competition in this area. I have the adveture rains and they are great boots but already showing signs of wear at less than 1 year old! I haven't found anything else on the market that offers the same level of protection, waterproofness (is that a word?), and walkability. Anything short of a motocross boot doesn't provide the same level of ankle protection.
  10. Ken Hubbell

Ken Hubbell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Love my Gaerne Ballance oiled boots. Maybe not the protection your looking for. But check em out. Awesome DS boot.

Cheers Kenny
  11. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have some Sidi Discovery boots that show a lot of wear as well, but I've had them for years. The soles wore thin and the top seal got so hard around my calf, I had to cut them. I replaced them with the Gaerne Balance Oiled waterproof boot, but it lacks a shift pad and even has a softer sole than the Disco's. I wanted a 3 buckle boot, though, not a 2 buckle plus velcro strap.
  12. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
  13. nwdub

nwdub Banned

Oddometer:
    that's what you get for not conditioning your leather.
  14. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had Discoveries for a long time and was happy with them, got the Adventures and loved the all day comfort for riding and walking.
    I was disappointed with the very soft fore foot and sole that would sag when standing, they seemed to offer much less protection than the Discoveries except the ankle and even that was only a little better. They showed a lot of wear in the soles and the leather uppers a few rides. They seem too much like a street boot and not up to any off road or Adventure type riding. I have some Gaerne SG10 off road boots and a pair of Balance oiled boots that are my replacement for the Adventures. I think SIDI dropped the ball with the Adventures, they have the look and the right name but thats it. I read some where they may be discontinued.
  15. SF_Rider

SF_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have conditioned my boots three times over the last year with bag balm and even had them on in downtown sf and had them shined once. They just aren't quality leather boots....

I live in Tahoe mainly where it is extremely dry. I can condition these boots all day, ride through a puddle and they will look like this two days later....

Also, it's the non-leather stitching that has clearly failed in this case.

16. OoPEZoO

OoPEZoO Dirtball Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    Might want to check out the TCX Infinity GTX boots. I just picked a pair up last month and have been happy with them so far. This is my 2nd pair of TCX (formally Oxtar) boots and the first ones lasted me 75k miles and are still going. The originals were more of a sport touring boot and I wanted something with more support for a trip out to Colorado later this month. Two buckles, Gortex liner, comes with a screw on installable toe cap. The only thing I did was to toss the original insoles in the garbage and replaced them with Dr. Sholes Gel work insoles (Same thing I do with every pair of riding boots I've ever owned).

Picked mine up from Revzilla for $324......free shipping and $15 towards your next purchase.
  17. nwdub

nwdub Banned

Oddometer:
    a true leather conditioner once a week is a better bet, especially if you use them often. I used to condition and polish my boots once a week. Kept a mirror finish and them soft and pliable. Helps keep the stitching in.
  18. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Adventure's have a seam right where the boot flexes on top of the foot, the stitching thread breaks and the leather remains intact. Bad design:puke1
  19. nwdub

nwdub Banned

Oddometer:
    upholstery thread and a needle solves many issues with worn boots.