New GS burning 1 QT oil per 1k miles - normal?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by surfman, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    Alrighty then, I guess we'll just have to guess. My take, you were adding the oil thru the gas tank..............:lol3
  2. '05Train

'05Train Mind is not for rent

Oddometer:
    I took the IICE Air off.

All the talk of it running too rich and fuel-washing the oil off of the cylinders made me think of it, so I took it off. Unless the dealer did something and neither told me nor documented it, nothing else has changed. 750 miles, 200 or so of that riding hard through backroads, 400 or so at 80+ fighting heavy winds on the highway, the rest just sort of lollygagging through my commute. I'll be riding 2-up to Philly this weekend, so that'll be more load than it's had, and we'll see what it does.

I'm not badmouthing anyone, just reporting what's happened.
  3. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    And here I thought it was something really mysterious like, you thought the boxer was a 2-stroke and were mixing oil and gasoline.

Report back after your 2-up trip...we're all ears (eyes)???!!
  4. '05Train

Oddometer:
    You mean it's not?

Will do.
  5. SeeRace

SeeRace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't you just set it to Zero and get the same effect? Just curious because I have one.
  6. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sometimes in life its just easier to go back to square one. Proper troubleshooting would dictate it must be removed.

Also, if it isn't working correctly to begin with, what's to say resetting to zero would have another result. Best to pull it and be certain.

Just my opinion of course....

:freaky
  7. erkmania

erkmania I Remain Undeturd

Oddometer:
    Ironic. I just reset my IICE Air from 0 to -20 to (hopefully) get rid of some pinging at high revs and 3/4 to WOT. I'll have to see if my oil consumption went up.

How is the bike's performance now?
  8. '05Train

Oddometer:
    Yup, I wanted to eliminate the variable and go back to square one.

I don't notice a difference. Mileage is a little better, that's about it.

To be clear, I'm not blaming anything or anyone for the issue my bike has/had. I find it incredibly hard to believe that I could consume a quart of oil in 600 miles, remove a device that ostensibly only tricks the computer into thinking it's 20 degrees cooler, and then burn no oil the following 750 miles.

I'm just reporting what I see. I'm as confused as y'all.
  9. erkmania

erkmania I Remain Undeturd

Oddometer:
    Speaking of mileage, it seems like the mileage has dropped from ~41 or 42 to ~39 or 40. Does this mimic you experience?
  10. SeeRace

SeeRace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, it doesn't seem logical that the IICE would have that effect on your bike and not others. I have one on an 06 GS and have not seen any increase in oil use. But what the hell, if that solves your problem it beats taking the motor apart. Maybe a coincidence and you suddenly "broke it in" :lol3
  11. '05Train

Oddometer:
    Yup, almost exactly.

I'm thinking the threat of taking a wrench to it scared it.
  12. '05Train

Oddometer:
    After 1,400 miles, it's burned some oil. It's about halfway down the sight glass. Gas mileage is up 3mpg. Bike's running better than ever.

600 miles to 18,000, and it appears I'll have to add no oil. That would have been 3 quarts added prior to removing the IICE Air.
  13. QED

QED Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My '05 GS used oil like your talking about. At about 10k it started using less. Now at 90k it uses almost nothing. Plus, my mileage keeps getting better. Stop worrying. You have a good bike.
  14. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    You didnt read the whole thread...he probably does have a great bike but it sure was running like a turd and gulping oil at rates not acceptable by 21st century standards....

:freaky
  15. QED

QED Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm just saying, mine did the same. It's not unusual. I have 90k with no problems and no oil usage. My bike is running great, it just takes some time. It's not a problem.
  16. '05Train

Oddometer:
    1,800 miles since I left the dealer with a bike full of oil. Oil level is currently just above the bottom of the sight glass, and the oil light will come on if the bike's pointed downhill.

Riding today was 170 miles of 2-up backroads, with about 50 miles through what Maryland calls "mountains" (Catoctin area), so there was quite a bit of engine braking. Oil level was 1/3 of the sight glass when we left the house. Interestingly, the bike also detonated like crazy with any serious acceleration.

I'm wondering if Bob's scoped the CCs when they had it. If I'm feeling zesty during this week's rain, I'll pop the plugs out and see how they look.

Ultimately though, I'm covered. My concern's registered with my dealer and it's in the system. I've got 4 more years of unlimited-mileage warranty to go, so if/when the thing grenades, it won't be on my nickel.
  17. 200GRLSWC

200GRLSWC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FYI, my personal experience with an '06 GS and '08GSA is that halfway down the sight glass (or "up the sight glass", if you're an optimist) is where the oil level wants to be. Any time I filled the bike up more than that it would rapidly reduce to that level, then stay there for a considerable time. I just grew to accept that any oil I added above the halfway mark was going to simply disappear, so no point "over" filling it. :deal

I do, however, find it necessary to add oil to my '08 GSA on a fairly regular basis between 6,000 mile services. Much more oil than I need to add to my Toyota Camry between services (which is none), but a LOT less than I need to add to my Chrysler Town & Country between services (which is a TON). If I'm doing a major ride (~1,000 mile days) I just check it each morning and add a bit if needed, no big deal.

I've tried a couple of the add-on electronic devices (though never the Aire IICE), and found little change, eventually took them off just to keep things simple. I know many people love them and see a great positive change in their bikes, and I'm very happy for them. For me, a quietly plodding GS/A is perfectly fine. I just use mine to get from here to there . . . and there . . . and there . . . . :clap
  18. G'Ville

G'Ville Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth. I purchased a 2011 GSA and it used almost a quart in 600 miles. I was worried, people on this site told me it would get better. It did, on the way home from Ca. this spring it used about a cup in 4000 miles. The total trip was 9500 and it used less than a quart running at 90 plus in deserts and running hard through the rockies. I now have 25000 miles on it and will be going to Ak this spring and not bringing oil, that will be about 20,000 miles round trip so I will change it like I do every 3000 with Mobil 1. It runs better now than it ever has so maybe they do need time to break in.
  19. Kaptainkid1

Kaptainkid1 Ride on

Oddometer:
    So I just read about oil consumption during break in. Well I just bought a 1995 1100GS with 32k and it's burning oil at 1.5 liter to 1500 miles. I'm going to track the consumption now and see if it gets better with Castrol actevo 20-50. Doesn't anyone know if older GS should burn oil after break in or this how it's going to be for my GS? It doesn't smoke and it's seems to drive fine. I'll need to do a tune up go through the bike as I ride and test things out. I hope someone could shed some light on this oil problem.
  20. PETDOC

PETDOC Long timer

Oddometer:
    My '04 1150 GS has clocked nearly 50k and following break-in has never required additional oil between 6,000 mile interval changes. During break-in it consumed quite a bit.