Temporary Insurance for foreign bike

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by EyeCake, Dec 8, 2012.

1. EyeCake

EyeCake Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am shipping my bike to NZ arriving just before Christmas for 2 months and wonder can anyone recommend an agent or company for temporary insurance
  2. redmurty

redmurty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I not sure you actually have to insure out there, could you give me the details of who you used to ship please and the cost as I am looking to take a bike out there. If you've never been before it's stunning, Scotland on steriods. :rofl

Have a great trip cheers Spud :wink:
  3. McCardigan

McCardigan happy Budda

Oddometer:
    Give Star Insurance a call +64800968000, have used them twice,1st time to insure my R80GSPD 4 years ago, and which I wrote off less then a week ito my holidays. No problems with settlement, bought the bike back off them, shipped it back to Oz and rebuilt it.

This time, I bought a bike here in NZ,flew in to Auckland collected the bike paid $9 to have it registered in my name,rang Star, an over the phone got full comphrensive insurance for 12 mths, as thebike is astaying down here. Cost $500NZ.

Remember you have to have the bike registered in NZ which requires a Warrant of Fittness, and it has to be scrupulous clean to pass customs.

I'm dowd here, hopefully for 3 mths,and its like Scotland at the moment,bloody rain!!!

You will love it, and you will even be understood in the Southland:D:D
  4. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Insurance is not required by law.... You can get cheaper 3rd party insurance which covers the other car/bike etc
    if you have a accident and you are at falt ..but not yours..

As always it's best to have full cover.....
  5. EyeCake

EyeCake Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry for late reply but was waiting for bike to arrive safely which it has done now so I would thoroughly recommend this new service offered by Kiwi Daniel shipping European bikes to New Zealand for their summer and bringing NZ bikes from your winter to our summer with a special emphasis on trips to Isle of Man for the TT's
    Excellent service, my bike is now in my daughters house in Nelson and I look forward to exploring NZ :clap:clap:clap:clap

http://www.newzealandmotorcycleadventures.co.uk
    http://www.ttandeuropemotorcycleadventures.co.uk
  6. Voltaire

Voltaire Triumphant.

Oddometer:
    good to hear its that easy, when I took my Kombi and BSA to Ireland in 2001 Customs put me thru the wringer for weeks.....althought I had never lived there they wanted me to prove I had not with old phone bills and bank statements which of course I did not have......... getting insurance for the Kombi was a 6 month nightmare , the BSA was easy.
    Oddly you didn't need a WOF/MOT on motorcycles or Campervans...
    Mind you when I brought the Kombi home NZ customs wanted to charge me GST on it......they could not get their thick heads around the fact I had taken it out of the country with rego on hold and brought it back.....bureaucrats....same everywhere....

Enjoy your stay and tripping around :D
  7. Dino3310

Dino3310 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. redmurty

redmurty Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thank you that's perfect for me, was looking to buy but I could ship my Tiger out there cheers Spud :clap