I Wanna Turn a Sport Bike Into a "Tourer"...

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by stripple, Apr 11, 2013.

1. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    \
    I get the same mileage out of anything I put on there, 3000 out of a rear, 5000 out of a front. Whether it was my CBR1000 all the way through the KTM 950SM. Doesn't matter which bike. Same mileage. Didn't matter which tire. I just don't see how anyone gets 9000 miles out of a rear tire.
  2. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    Road quality?
  3. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    Chip seal , overinflated tires worn flat in the middle.:roflUntouched sides.
  4. Colorado_Rider

Colorado_Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Of course you get the same mileage, those bikes all weigh <450lbs. Try getting that milage out of a Busa, C14 or got forbid a K1600:eek1 My point was in reference to using a literbike vs a heavy ST bike.
  5. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

Well alright. I forget they were even close to that light.
  6. Existence_Inc

Existence_Inc The Wanderer

Oddometer:
    As promised, pics of my luggage.

Triumph Urban Tank Bag (10-15L) + RKA Daytona Tail Bag (5-14L) for shorter trips.
    [​IMG]

Now I have the Kriega US40 (20L+10L+10L) and a Kriega R20 Backpack (20L) for longer trips. With another 10-15L from the Tank Bag, I can haul a LOT of crap securely.
    [​IMG]

She weighs a hair under 400lbs wet, 112 RWHP, averages 50+MPG, and is all-day comfortable with my Saddlemen track seat. My kind of SPORT-tourer. :deal

~Ex
  7. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    50+ mpg US gallons? With stock gearing? No one else is reporting fuel efficiency this high. Over how many tanks and how many miles?
  8. Existence_Inc

Oddometer:
    Yes, stock gearing. Yes, US gallons. I calculate the MPG on EVERY fill up. I write the mileage on the receipt and stuff it in a pocket and do my calculations when I return. No engine work, but retuned for the Akrapovic exhaust. I have just under 9000 miles and I have only noted sub 50MPG once and that was 46MPG with 1/2 the tank used at a track day. It was my first, so I didn't concentrate on speed as much as getting comfortable and learning the course.

Example: This weekend I went for a ~400 mile ride. I stopped for gas at 150.2 miles and topped it off with 2.68 gallons: 56.1 MPG. Next stop, my fuel light came on at exactly 200.0 miles, only took 3.61 gallons to fill the tank: 55.4 MPG. I use premium fuel (usually E10, because that is what is available) and I keep the bike between 6-8,000 RPM with a few short runs from 10-14,000 RPM. :deal

It's obviously a result of waxing my helmet. :lol3

~Ex
  9. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

You must be babying the hell out of that bike, the farthest I have EVER seen on a tank before the light came on was 160(ish) miles, I start looking for gas at like 120-130 usually.

....I've driven mine down to 99 miles with the light on, it takes 40 minute sessions on a track that rarely move below the century mark to do it.
  10. pne

pne Long timer

Oddometer:
    real sexy bike, I can't imagine sport touring on that thing though. A 20 min test ride had me begging for mercy. As for the gas mileage, you are getting insane numbers.
  11. Existence_Inc

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It's great bike for just puttering around due to the nature of the engine. It isn't ideal for long hauls, but once my knees adjusted to the sharp angles, riding all day is no problem at all. I'd love an ADV bike for the riding position, but the Daytona is paid off and runs well. Hard to beat that combination.

As for the gas mileage: perhaps it is because the triple produces so much torque so early that it is as easy to ride at 8k as it is as 12k? I'm no Ricky Racer, but I don't sit around either. Maybe I'm just lucky. My Ducat SF848 gets 48+ and my Honda Fit gets 40+. Even my Bonneville was no stranger to 60+MPG.:norton

~Ex
  12. ramon

ramon weezin' the juice!

Oddometer:

Once a bike is paid for, it's hard to justify going back into debt, just to change riding positions. Ride the bike that you have and make it work!
  13. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are both lucky and ride/drive all of your vehicles gently. As I said before, no one is reporting mpg as high as you do on your Daytona, and that's stock. Adding an exhaust with tuning usually drops the average mpg by 3-5 mpg. I call that VERY lucky on both the individual bike and the tuning map that you have installed.
  14. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    Nothing personal , but you must ride like an old woman to get those mileages.:huh
  15. gixxersteph

gixxersteph Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    or he is at high altitude and there isn't much oxygen for the fuel to use, hence less fuel burned.
  16. Existence_Inc

Oddometer:
    I have a fairly controlled throttle hand, but I have NEVER been accused of riding like an old lady. I tend to ride mid-pack on group rides; more due to my comfort level than anything. And yes, I ride at altitude: from 5,500-11,000'. Heck, I live in a valley that sits at 7,500'. In the poor bike's defence, the 112rwhp was dyno'd at 6,000'. It will be a whole new experience at sea level. :wink:

~Ex
  17. pne

pne Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dunno, when I ride at high altitude I keep the throttle open more to compensate.
  18. Existence_Inc

Oddometer:

:freaky

~Ex
  19. Tom-Nor

Tom-Nor Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have just come back from a Honda roadshow, wher i test drove the VFR1200 and CB1000R.
    I have a ZX14 with 200HP and buttloads of tourq, i am used to power from the get go, but i have to say this, the CB1000R was freeking fun even with "only" 125HP. Power from low down and very comfortoble upright seating position.
    I did not feel that it was lacking any power at all. The grin on my face i still ther after 5 hours:freaky
    Its a bloddy holigan ready raise hell:evil
  20. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer: