Advice for prepping a 950Adventure for a long trip to South America

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by gbx2001, Jul 15, 2010.

1. gbx2001

gbx2001 Geophiz Supporter

Oddometer:
    Greetings

After winning a battle with cancer (so far!) 2 years ago my mind has been filled with thoughts of taking a long bike trip through Central and South America. Funny how cancer or other major upsets to our lives can change our perception and goals!

I currently have a KTM 690R and although I love the bike, I have reservations about taking it on a longer journey such as this. I almost bought a 990 rather than my 690R in spring 2009 but at the time I was still weak from cancer treatment and decided the 690R was a better bike as it is signficantly lighter.

My current thoughts are to buy a used 2005 or 2006 950(S) Adventure and modify it as necessary for reliability. It will probably be a year or two before I make the trip (unless my employer suddenly decides I am expendable) so I have time to buy a low milage bike and perform some improvements and test them for a long trip.

I prefer the late model 950 / 950S over the 990 because of its greater simplicity much as many RTW travellers prefer older R80 & R100GS models over the newer BMW R1200GS. I have owned many bikes over the last 35+ years and most fondly remember the most reliable bikes rather than the more powerful bikes.

Also, because of the lower purchase cost for a 4 or 5 year bike, any required carnets would be cheaper. Since the 950 series does not have fuel injection or ABS it would be lighter and mechanically simpler for 3rd world travel. Also, the storage compartment under the seat would be handy for an accessory battery, tools or whatever else I deem important.

My thoughts for required improvements to the bike:
    • crash bars
    • canisterectomy
    • remove SAS
    • rejetting ie. Head2wind (as required)
    • put in vacuum operated fuel pump (carry repair kit)
    • go to 2-1 header and new exhaust
    • install Neduro aux gas tank for increased range.
    • install evoluzione clutch cylinder (if not already installed)
    • update to newest waterpump (if not already done)
    • freshen up suspension (SuperPlush or others)
    • install euro headlight switch and headlight
    • install accessory LED headlights
    • install better seat (I have a Renazco now on my 690R)
    • sidestand relocation bracket
    • new chain & sprockets
    • chain oiler
    • better rims / wheels ???
    There are certainly a few items I have forgotten, but hey, I'm just starting to build out my list. ;-) I may be lucky and find a clean 950 with many of these enhancements already done.

If you have other ideas for reliability / ease of maintenance I would be happy to hear them. Reliability and ease of maintenance are far more important to me than increased power.

I have not mentioned luggage in the above list as I am still undecided. I currently have a set of 35L TT panniers for my 690R for short trips and buying groceries etc, but I wonder if other luggage would be better for a trip such as this. I have been toying with the idea of buying TT attachment pucks and installing them on 35 or 36 litre bags from Caribou cases.

I would appreciate feedback from OC readers regarding other changes for reliabiliy or for luggage for long term travel.

Cheers.
  2. SS in Vzla.

SS in Vzla. Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer:
    I think the modifications you plan are spot on. Be sure to vent the tanks properly after the canisterectomy. Maybe put some electric grips for the colder areas like Bolivia and Southern Argentina-Chile. Besides that, fill'er with fuel and go :D

Aside from taking the spare fuel pump, I'd take a spare water pump kit and wire the battery so that you don't have to disassemble anything in case you need a jump start... just plug in your jumper cables and hook them to a passing car/motorcycle.

Regarding luggage choices I'd recommend that whatever you end up choosing (it's a very personal choice and like oils, everybody has it's favorite) keep your bike as narrow as possible... You'll be doing lots of tight lane splitting in towns and cities... If your bike's luggage is too wide, traversing the populated areas will become hard work... Hard or Soft luggage ? Living in South America I'd recommend hard luggage for security reasons, but then again: it's a personal choice.

You don't need a carnet for any country in Central or South America BTW

Oh... and whatever you end up doing to your bike, I think the best advise is to keep it as light as possible (within reason, of course)

Buen Viaje!
  3. gbx2001

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback!

I was lead to believe a couple of Central / South American countries still required carnets, so thanks for the information.

You are right about the jumper cables / simplified electrical system - I made a set of jumpers (10AWG) that plugs into a set of leads attached to my 690R battery. I can boost another bike or he can boost mine.

4. motolocopat

motolocopat When in doubt gas it!

Oddometer:
    You can plan and plan and add things to the bike but at the end of the day you South and Central America is not Africa or Mongolia. I think every country has a KTM importer and the mighty KTM 9XX is pretty much the bike of choice in South America for the locals. Not many of us/them add on extra fuel but most will have the standard fall protection stuff.

I'd concentrate on making sure the bike was spot on when I left, getting the border crossing info down, some local contacts and researching the route and places to stay things to see.

I've lived and worked throughout the region and help is generally easy to come by, the people in the country have been great and helpfull.

Guess what I'm saying is the 950 is built for this out of the box so if its in good shape and you know the bike then things will take care of theirselves.... especially if you speaky espanolie

Get on the bike and ride before you change your mind or life changes it for you
  5. nomad guy

nomad guy A legal alien

Oddometer:
    the best preparation you could do is to learn spanish. it is going to be your most useful tool and can enhance your experience 10 fold.
    don't worry too much about the bike or which personal gear you need....as said it is Latin America and not sub Sahara Africa.

cheers
    guy

p.s- may you continue winning your battle
  6. Martynho

Martynho No more Chilegringo.

Oddometer:
    Heyup G,

Firstly well done our in having the fight in ya to do this after your illness and hope you continue to prevail against it. I am planning a similar trip this year after a nervous breakdown and a long bout of depression. Funny how life twists your arm into re evaluating the way you live and making changes you should have done anyway.

I picked up an 08 990Adv 12 weeks ago with a plan to do 6 months in South America later this year, and have spent this time putting 14K miles on her hacking around the UK, Ireland, France and Spain. So my farkle plan has evolved rather than being planned. I agree that this machine is pretty much good to go out of the crate with a few minor mods:

Touratech bashplate (I do ride off road about 30%)

Heidenau K60 tyres - good on and off road and VERY durable)

Giant loop Fandango tank bag (in Orange of course :D )

Git Luggage plate

Rotopax 2 gallon tank strapped to rear rack

Ortlieb 60l Roll bag mounted neatly above the Rotopax

17/45 gearing - Lower than stock, bigger sprockets so more teeth in contact for lower wear and further away from s/w arm to reduce slap

Gobi Hard cases used so far but getting rid, one was trashed after a 0MPH fallover. Have a set of Ortlieb panniers but considering Wolfmans because they are easier to get on and off.

KTM crashbars

KTM Touring screen.

She is going into the shed next week for complete service as well as the usual preventive stuff (Water pump, fuel pump, valve check, canisterectomy, remove side stand and clutch switches, Oberon clutch slave)

I speak spanish so I kind of take it for granted, but probably the best upgrade you can make.

FWIW I met an English couple who had RTW'd on 690's and really rated them as long as you travel light. I think they are inmates here.

Best of luck mate
  7. grogger123

grogger123 fatbastard

Oddometer:
    "My thoughts for required improvements to the bike:
    • crash bars - A must
    • canisterectomy - Dont know
    • remove SAS - Dont know.
    • rejetting ie. Head2wind (as required) - Doubt you will neede it.
    • put in vacuum operated fuel pump (carry repair kit) - Dunno about this. Maybe fit a new pump
    • go to 2-1 header and new exhaust - Very nice, but not essential
    • install Neduro aux gas tank for increased range. - Very nice but not essential
    • install evoluzione clutch cylinder (if not already installed) - essential
    • update to newest waterpump (if not already done) - essential
    • freshen up suspension (SuperPlush or others) - optional
    • install euro headlight switch and headlight - don't know as the Oz model already has it.
    • install accessory LED headlights - Don't know. As an Aussie I have a pathological fear of night riding in the bush and avoid it wherever possible. Too many heavy stupid animals to run in to over here.
    • install better seat (I have a Renazco now on my 690R) - Optional, especially if you have an Airhawk. I have a KTM ergo seat which I like.
    • sidestand relocation bracket - Optional, I would chose a centrestand before this option.
    • new chain & sprockets - essential. I would fit a 16 tooth front sprocket. I had one on my bike when I bought it but replaced it with the standard 17, which is still on it. I will refit the 16 and never go back to the 17.
    • chain oiler - optional, but by all accounts nice.
    • better rims / wheels ???" - Expensive, and if you ride sensibly not really necessary in my view. A replace when you need to item in my view.
    I think your list is pretty comprehensive. How much money do you want to spend? In my experience the evo slave cylinder, water pump overhaul, new chain and sprockets are the only essentials (along with a full service before you go).

I have fitted the Neduro 2-1 and auxiliary tank and am glad I did, but wouldnt consider it essential. I have an '03 S model and am very happy with it. I am actually pretty happy with the standard suspension so have not felt any need to change it. If you are not a real hoon, you will probably be pretty happy with the standard suspension. I would fit a centrestand before I fit the sidestand relocation bracket. But as the bracket isnt that dear you may as well fit one. I know this is probably a heresy, but if you ride fairly sensibly and dont flog your bike through rocky or rough ground I think the standard rims are perfectly ok. Will you do a lot of slow running? The 950's produce a lot of heat, so I would consider fitting a second radiator fan if you are doing a lot slow spead (below 40 km/h) running. My bike doesnt run hot but at slow speeds the fan comes on frequently and it flicks from 4-5 constantly until the speed picks up again.

My thoughts would be you are going on a holiday and the point for me would be to arrive safely not arrive quickly. I would recommend modifications that promote reliability and comfort. The only problem with the 950 is that it is such a good bike everything else looks pretty ordinary by comparison.
  8. Lorretto

Lorretto City Dweller Crushperado Supporter

Oddometer:
    GBX

Don't know if it absloutely necessary but you may want to consider adding the R&D remote fuel mixture screw adjusters as some of the passes in Peru and Bolivia are +4,000M. The Andes altiplano is at about 3,800M. It may save some fiddling.

Not bike related but trip related think about MedJet or DAN's insurance. You will need to check the coverage on MedJet as to pre-existing conditions.

Get a decent GSM phone with WiFi. Sim cards are readily available in Bolivia, Chile, Peru and Argentina and the air time is cheap. I think they can unlock just about any of the more current GSM phones. Also Skype is your friend
  9. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    Yes, the standard rims are a bit soft, but a new wheel set is a spendy item. you would probably get away with just doing the front. Depends what kind of riding youre going to be doing. It wont be that big a drama to get a new rim laced up if you bend the crap out of the stocker on the trip.

Luggage-wise, I dont like hard panniers. A GiantLoop GreatBasin carries enough stuff, is rugged & very easy to take on and off the bike (only 1 thing to remove and carry). Dont underestimate the convenience of that because you will be taking your luggage on and off every night you stop somewhere.

I'd rethink your choice of prefilter too. The UNI prefilter doesnt have a lot of surface area and doesnt take very long to clog up in normal conditions - let alone dusty conditions. My experience with the UNI on at altitude has been that the bike is way down on power. I dont know how much of that is altitude or how much its being exaggerated by the UNI. Certainly altitude plus dirty UNI will have a big impact.
    I'd consider Pyndon's prefilter as it does not require any jetting change and its (much) larger surface area will give it a much longer service interval : http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580428

In so far as crash bars, get the hepco becker or SW motech. Much much stronger than the KTM ones (or any others Ive seen)

The only other item of bike protection I would add is a decent set of handguards. You will inevitably drop the bike or tip it over somewhere & a broken lever will turn a minor embarrassment into a real annoyance.
    Highway dirtbikes make some very nice ones for the 950. Strong as hell & exceptionally well mounted. Very good value for money too as theyre about the same price as a set of cycras - but with about $70 worth of better mounting. Not to mention the rest of the features.

Que te vaya bien!

Update: Oh, and a disc lock. Maybe fit yourself the standard 950 Alarm (its all plug-in. Very easy to install & if you have done the work yourself, very easy to disable if it goes tits up. A much cheaper option would be to have an alarmed disc lock.
  10. DakarBlues

DakarBlues One-everythinged man

Oddometer:
    • crash bars -> a must
    • canisterectomy -> a must
    • remove SAS -> a must
    • rejetting ie. Head2wind (as required) -> preferable for low fuel consumption
    • fuel pump -> mount a Facet and keep the OEM just in case
    • go to 2-1 header and new exhaust -> maybe, make sure it's jetted correctly
    • install Neduro aux gas tank for increased range.-> good modif
    • install evoluzione clutch cylinder -> a must
    • update to newest waterpump -> keep a waterpump kit on top of it
    • freshen up suspension (SuperPlush or others) -> maybe
    • install euro headlight switch and headlight -> a must
    • install high beam and low beam HID in euro headlight
    • install accessory LED headlights -> maybe
    • install better seat (I have a Renazco now on my 690R) -> or a Airhawk small cruiser
    • sidestand relocation bracket -> a must for rocky sections
    • new chain & sprockets -> keep a spare
    • chain oiler -> a must
    • better rims / wheels -> maybe, unless you are racing the OEM wheels are up to the task. Some inmate went to Ushuaia and back with 19X17 (Excel or CapoNord) go tubeless
    • Heidenau K60 or MEFO Explorer tubeless (2 rears might you get to Ushuaia and back)
    • transparent clutch cover -> would tell you when watepump gives the ghost
    • voltmeter -> a must since you might tax your alternator with onboard equipment (heated or not) as you are crossing many different climes
    • oil pressure gauge
    • 2nd radiator fan on the right side
    • Scotts stainless oil filter
    • Pyndon prefilter with charger http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580428
    • K&N washable air filter
    • alu bashplate (TT, BD, RR or G-IT) http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447397
    • connect low octane fuse to an accessible switch (Third World fuel hurts)
    • lockwire everything and notably the bolts on the chainguide (you might need to buy safety wire pliers along with tungsten drillbit and vise)
    • make sure ergonomics are taken care of (risers if you are tall, Fat Bar bend, highway pegs, etc...), you won't go far if the ergos don't suit you well.
    • heated grips
    • wire it for heated jackest and gloves, some of the myriad passes to destination are real chilly
    • pacsafe wire sack to secure your belongings.
    • heavy duty antivol chain
  11. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Truthfully? I would take the 690 that you already have. Extend the fuel range, put a windscreen on it, maybe some aux lights, and go. Thats it, turn key, done. You be will totally stoked on the 690 for a CA/SA trip. I wish I had one for my trip. I almost bought one for this trip but I already had the 990 and couldnt justify taking the loss and buying a new bike.

Dont get me wrong, I love my 990, but a smaller lighter bike is just so much easier to deal with down here, and that 690 can run with any big bike, no problem. Hairpin twisties like you have never sen in your life, plenty of dirt to ride, splitting lanes like a madman just to get where you are going, rolling it up stairs into a hostal is easy with that bike. You will be stoked with that bike down here. I would be all over that 690 for your trip.

KTM parts are no problem throughout the americas.

Has the 690 given you problems? If not, why dont you trust it for a long trip? Simply because other folks have had problems? People have plenty of problems with every type of bike. Look at the RR's and see how many KLR riders have issues with everything under the sun.

The 690 has got good long service intervals, and if youre worried about the injection system, carry a spare pump and always carry spare fuel filters no matter what.

Knowing what I know now after almost a year riding Mexico, Central and South America, I would take that 690 in a freaking heartbeat.

Wanna trade? :rofl
  12. gbx2001

Oddometer:
    The feedback is greatly appreciated - thanks to all!

Good advice to learn more Spanish - I know some Spanish after travelling in Spain, Mexico, etc but definitely need to improve my skills.

All of us have different feelings towards the most important mods for a trip like this, and some of the suggested mods have been added to my list - thanks for all your suggestions / additions.

Security is mentioned by a few inmates and I have to consider this item much more. I don't really want to pack a huge chain and lock - I've been there / done that in NA and still had security problems and carrying around a big chain and lock over rough roads can damage panniers / top box / etc. I hope to travel as light as reasonably possible and carry only necessary spares / tools / clothing / etc but I can also see the need for enhanced security for my bike and accessories.

As for taking my 690R, I definitlely like the size / lighter weight of the 690 but have concerns regarding:
    • the complexity of the throttle / fuel injection system versus a simpler carbed bike. I think it would be far easier to trouble shoot the fuel system / carbs on 950 compared with dealing with error codes on a 690R on the side of road miles from anywhere.
    • the load carrying capability of the plastic rear sub frame / fuel tank.
    I think FI is the future for all bikes, but I do think that KTM still have a few demons to exorcise to make their FI reliable in "Adventure" conditions on their bikes. That said, I have a few trips planned on my 690 later this summer, so I will find out soon enough.

I place a high priority on having extra fuel capacity. Some of my desire for extra fuel capacity comes from my previous background in aviation (having a couple of extra gallons on board can really reduce the stress levels when problems arise when airborne!). I currently have a KTM luggage rack on my 690R and fasten a Rotopax fuel container to it for longer rides. I think Rotopax are great, but Neduro's 950/990 tank looks more sanitary.

I don't plan to overspend for any upgrades, so I plan to scour Kijiji / Craigslist / ADVrider / etc. for desired items. I would like my bike to be as reliable as possible before I head out, and I also want to make me to be as healthy as possible for this trip, which will still take some time. Having cancer and associated health problems knocked the "starch" out of me, so regaining my previous health is still an uphill battle.

Thanks again for all your feedback!

Cheers. Mark
  13. dustjunkie

dustjunkie Got Stick Meat?

Oddometer:
    Mark,

Kudos on your fight, and your decision to travel! Generally, I think the list you have going is a good one.

I like the 950 idea, I have done trail side repairs to my 950 that I could never have done to a 990...

I would definitely look at an aftermarket bash plate, the stock will not hold up over time, and can cost you.

I would also remove the side stand safety, it is ok if it is working, but if it fails, it will cause many headaches.

Make sure the key switch is in good shape, take it apart before you leave, clean all the contacts, grease it up and put it back together. It is a bear to touble shoot this trail side, ask me :D although I have never had to work on "mine"...

Aftermarket exhaust is a must...

Do something about the lights, Talk to me if you want to do a LED setup... Also, Euro and HID is a good idea. Shoot, with a set up like this, maybe even an Aussie would ride at night :evil

I agree about the front wheel, woody's is the way to go, but I still run stock, and as long as you look where you are going, you can get away with it. Back only needs to be changed if you want to, and have the funds.

Spend time (and money if necessary) on ergonomics. Bar, risers, whatever it takes...

I have a Facet fuel pump, and I think that is way to go. I would choose that over a vacuum pump.

Have fun, and keep us posted! Oh, and let me know when you want to do a shake down ride in Baja....

Jake
  14. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Hi Mark. Like one post said, this isn't like Africa down here. If i were you I would take the the 690 and never look back. Take that bike on some trips and get some confidence in it and take it down south. FI or carbs it doesn't really matter on a trip like this. Knowing what I know now after 20,000 miles on my trip and still going, I would take the 690 for sure. No brainer for me anyway.

Chain or lock is not needed. If the place you stay at won't give a place to put the bike go to another hotel. I have not carried a lock and never felt that I needed one. If you feel like you need one they sell disk locks and big freaking calble locks all over Latin America.

Don't over think this trip. Just get on your bike and go. It really is that simple.
  15. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    like what? Re jet? :rofl
  16. ADV pilot

ADV pilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Get a Super Enduro with a Safari tank. Best of both worlds. :clap

100% IPA
  17. XR Valdeez

XR Valdeez Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mark,

I for one agree with Crash! Your 690 would be awesome down there! I learned a big lesson on my recent Lima, Peru to Los Angeles trip- the bigger the bike, the more uselesss crap you take :lol3 . My bud and I both rode our 950's and they were great. We both ended up taking about double the stuff we needed, mostly in the "personal gear" area.

We both had our bikes updated to all the new stuff ie; water pump, rear brake, new D.I.D. chains and stock tooth sprockets and tires. We never once adjusted the chain in over 6500 miles! Tires on my 950 are still going, we used the Scorpions and liked them. I wish I would have done my front forks before I went, thery're a bit soft. The rear was fine, don't waste your money back there. We both used the UNI pre-filter so we wouldn't have to change our air filters on the trip. That made the bikes run a bit richer than without it. We also carried 1.75 gallon spare fuel cans (Koplin) and NEVER used them. Fuel was never an issue for us.

Learning a bit of spanish will pay off in spades for you! You can get by without, or a little, like us, but more is better.

For my '05 950 S I did the following to it for the trip, besides what I mentioned above;

KTM Touring screen
    Kickstand re-locater (got it from this web site)
    Zip-Ty Racing axle blocks for the rear and handles for both ends
    Zip-Ty Racing rear billet luggage rack
    SW Motech crash bars
    FMF Q-4 silencers
    HB Gobi bags
    KTM tank bag
    EVO slave cyl.
    Cycra pro-bend hand guards
    KTM frame guards

That's it for the bike! You can go absolutely crazy adding stuff, so I kept it pretty simple. I also took along a SPOT tracker, the old one, and mounted it to the handlebars. Used it for 28 days in the tracking mode and never replaced the batteries!

You are in for the time of your life! I'm jealous that you'll be spending 6 months or so on your journey! I'm still punching a clock and that kept our time on our trip limited. Have fun and be sure YOU GO ON THIS RIDE! You will never regret it!

Steve
  18. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    here's what I did to my SE for my trip.

Some of it may be useful for the ADV.

FWIW, I considered getting a 690 for my trip but after sitting on it decided it wasn't much different size wise from my SE so I stuck with the twin and what I know.
  19. duitswes

duitswes NAM Biker in CA

Oddometer:
    +1. The if the bike totally breaks down, then it will take at most 2000 US to airfreight it home. Maybe more or maybe less, but switching bikes beforehand gonna cost that much.

Learning spanish is more critical.
  20. PhilRio

PhilRio Ride, camp, eat, reload!

Oddometer:
    I have the same questions to my self, my Ktm 990 or a single cyl? I'm from Brazil current leaving in San Diego, but I maybe going with my 07 f650gs (better gas mileage, lighter, more dealers, but... less fun!) I'm planing to go next year, and the mostly important thing in S.A is: Smile, and say you love soccer to! Don't be afraid (at list don't show!) and if the bike brake down people really help you, and that's another way to meeting the locals and the excuse to stay more in on place, because there everybody needs little bit help, so we help each other. So.... modifications???
    Sapanish- Mandatory.
    Heat Grips- Mandatory, for cold, rain it's very cold.
    Safari tank? If you drop in the mud will be heavy to lift back if it's full? I carry gas on MSR Dromedary 10L water bag. (personal choice)
    High Fender? mud,mud,mud!
    Extra Lights, fog lights. Mandatory
    Side stand. I keep my, mud it's hard to place in the center.
    Metal oil filter. Mandatory
    Reusable Air Filter. Mandatory
    Spare parts like you say, buy and carry with you, just because there it's ridiculous expensive and maybe are not available in stock! or tell a friend to buy and shipping for you like a personal stuff part from your gear you forgot here in US, to avoid taxes when enter in the country. You maybe can selling the bike in AG, And if you need a place to stay in Brazil or Peru let me know, Boa viajem.