Unleashing the HO-CAT

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Marsh Tiger, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Marsh Tiger

Marsh Tiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hijack, Hell!!! I'm happy to see it get some use! Besides, I'm looking forward to the next trip to Columbia now. (Thanks to the MEOW)

I'm thinking big picture here... The Ho-Cat could be but a distraction to the fist real ADV loop in SC! :evil

Thanks for the high praise... and the Great pictures!
  2. StolenFant

StolenFant Life is good on this side of the grass Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kurlee and I tried to work on an Eastern leg of the First Real ADV loop of SC (Fraid-V Cat?).
    It was fun but only because the turkey hunters we kept meeting were nice Evidently open gates aren't always an "invitation", something about "bub, I've got a lease on this land" :deal". The first hunter was nice enough to let us continue on through his lease... right onto someone else's :ddog. They were also nice...enough to let us out of the nearest gate onto a highway. I sure wish I'd thought about a camera when we were bouncing a GS and a Wee-strom over pine stumps in the middle of the woods:p3rry. Anyway, we diverted to asphalt for a while, and picked up the F orest again at Guerins Bridge, and ran a nice stretch of sandy road that I had to run again when we split up around 12:30. I did rerun that sandy road to its end and picked up the morning's dirt into Andrews before heading back to Pawleys. If I can figure out how to get today into TopoUSA I'll work on it when I'm back up here in two weeks.

Are we all just going to Hi-jack Ho-Cat for these ride reports, or should we start a thread for the First Real ADV loop of SC?

Now what's everyone up to next weekend?
  3. Marsh Tiger

Oddometer:
    Hey, I'm all for hunting, but it is public land! Besides, what's the first rule of farming/hunting/land management...?
    ALWAYS LOCK THE GATE!!!

Glad Y'all had a good ride though and very sorry I had to miss it. The Frances Marion Forest should definably be Included in any Trans SC route we may come up with! Porbably too early to start a new thread on that yet... Let's use the momentum of the HO-CAT to generate some interest...:evil
  4. wawarides

wawarides where's Laura0107? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Momentum, I haz it.

Today, I took the MEOW again (fun, fun), ate at the Olde House Cafe in Walterboro (so-so; their macaroni pie had Velveeta in it :huh but the roast pork was good) and then rode the Southern sections of the HO-CAT this time. I realized today that I only have a fraction of the dirt available in the large area between Rowesville/Branchville and Bowman/Reevesville included in the MEOW, since I tried to keep that route headed more or less in a linear fashion, but there are a lot of dirt roads in that area that need riding.

At one point I crossed over I-95 at the Southern-most part of the HO-CAT and was met with an open gate but it was marked "Private Drive". There was a truck just coming out of the gate towards me, however, so I went :scratch and since I felt he was giving me the evil eye, I did a 180 and went back across that deep-assed sand with him following me, and took the next road that crossed the interstate to join back up with the route. What's up with that? That road is marked "SC S-15-66" on both sides of the interstate on maps.

Anyhoo, I'm about HO-ed out for one weekend.

From the MEOW:

[​IMG]

From the HO-CAT:

[​IMG]
  5. Marsh Tiger

Oddometer:
    Momentum, I haz it.

Today, I took the MEOW again (fun, fun), ate at the Olde House Cafe in Walterboro (so-so; their macaroni pie had Velveeta in it :huh but the roast pork was good)

Their Breakfast is better...

I realized today that I only have a fraction of the dirt available in the large area between Rowesville/Branchville and Bowman/Reevesville included in the MEOW, since I tried to keep that route headed more or less in a linear fashion, but there are a lot of dirt roads in that area that need riding.

Sounds like a challenge?
    I'm looking forward to the MEOW

...I crossed over I-95 at the Southern-most part of the HO-CAT and was met with an open gate but it was marked "Private Drive". There was a truck just coming out of the gate towards me, however, so I went :scratch and since I felt he was giving me the evil eye, I did a 180 and went back across that deep-assed sand with him following me, and took the next road that crossed the interstate to join back up with the route. What's up with that? That road is marked "SC S-15-66" on both sides of the interstate on maps.

That was an addition that i added after the ride... Sorry! I corrected that and updated the file on the LDT thread. I'm glad that you could get out and ride!!!

NOTE TO ALL: there is an updated HO-CAT file to download!!!

:freaky
  6. wawarides

Oddometer:
    I also updated the MEOW GPX file in the HO-CAT's thread in Layin' Down Tracks-East. I took the HO-CAT route out of it so that future tweaks to either one won't necessitate redoing both files. So if anyone has already downloaded the MEOW, kill that one and re-download it. Thanks, Marsh Tiger! :freaky
  7. Ooopsie

Ooopsie The weather is here....

Oddometer:
    USA.SC.Piedmont Plateau.LatLon:34.2,-81.144
    I did finally get a dual/duel/dool sport.... KLR6fiddy. I'm up in Winnsboro/Cedar Creek area, need to find something similar up in these parts. Cayce to Walterboro via MEOW is my next big ride. I'll take the GoPro and get some yardage. THANKS to you all for a great f'n thread! Really outstanding! In my 30+ yrs of riding, this stuff is really tops!

GC
  8. wawarides

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on your new ride, and please do post again after riding the MEOW! I know Marsh Tiger shares my sentiment that it is encouraging to get feedback, and it's nice to know other inmates find the "work" that goes into creating and sharing routes useful.
  9. Marsh Tiger

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Hope that you enjoy the ride. I rode a KLR for a while, great bike. I've spent some time in your area, lots of great dirt roads around there, and some decent paved country roads too.

Have I mentioned how cool it would be to have a Duel-Sport loop around SC? :evil
  10. Marsh Tiger

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Your next MEOW...
  11. Aron31

Aron31 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Those look awesome. What are they?
  12. StolenFant

Oddometer:
    Look like the Heidenau KT60 Scouts. Great choice MarshTiger, let's put them to work this weekend. Just sent you an email. I'm seriously considering staying with the Conti TKC for front, but I've got my eyes on that Scout for the rear. Too bad the other sizes don't get that center rib the 150/70-17 has.
  13. Marsh Tiger

Oddometer:
    K60 is correct Sir! Although the front is a k60 and not a scout. The "scout" front is a little less aggressive. The TKC/K60 combo is very popular too. I can't wait to get 'em dirty!
  14. wawarides

Oddometer:
    :clap Those look like a purrfect choice for the Tiger!
  15. StolenFant

Oddometer:
    Where did you find them? I got the alert from Revzilla this AM, and when I tried to order the 150/70-17 at 10:50, they were out of stock AGAIN. Price???
  16. wawarides

Oddometer:
    Here it is from a top-rated eBay Seller in Wisconsin. More $ than Revzilla, though.
  17. Aron31

Aron31 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

We're an official hidenau now. Maybe josh can hook you up with a tire.
  18. Marsh Tiger

Oddometer:
    Mine came from Black Dog Cycle Works. Nice people, they really took care of me! They don't stock them, drop shipped form the distributor. Shipped quick though, ordered on Sunday, and they arrived on the next Tuesday.

But had I known I could have bought them in town...
  19. Marsh Tiger

Oddometer:
  20. Aron31

Aron31 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We haven't gotten our first shipment yet. Should be anyday though. I can't wait they look excellent. I've only seen one set in person. They didn't look like yours though.