Dry duffel bag?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by fishhuntride, Jul 7, 2011.

1. fishhuntride

fishhuntride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a Cortech duffel that measures roughly 12x20x10 and isn't waterproof. It is fairly easy to pack and access the contents while on the bike but I'd like something a bit bigger (12x24x12 - 14x26x14 range?) and waterproof.

I searched and read several threads but still have some questions. First is with sizing. How is that bags with almost the exact same measurements can be rated anywhere from 40-60L for example? Without being about to see them in person, how do you know how much the bag will hold?

Next. The bag will be used for carrying all sorts of stuff (clothes, shoes, fly fishing gear, electronics, etc.) but not camping gear which is mostly what I read about. I want something that is easy to pack and though I won't be in it at every stop, something that I can access if needed while on the bike.

Anyone have recommendations?
  2. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
  3. tvolk

tvolk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. Propfrwrd

Propfrwrd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. Callahan

Callahan Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. Coho911

Coho911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another option is the Watershed Dry Duffel bags made specifically for Kayaks & paddling boats. Designed to be completely submerged up to 30 feet & keep essential gear dry.

I use the 70 liter 'Yukon' :
    [​IMG]--[​IMG]

Absolutely BONE dry through the worst monsoons the Pacific northwest has thrown at me (Flooding freeways heavy) and the company guarantees them to 30 feet under water.

Some reviews :
    http://reviews.mec.ca/9421-en_ca/5010-533/watershed-chatooga-dry-duffel-reviews/reviews.htm

*** I thought it was worth mentioning, a friend of mine (big time outdoors guy & ex guide) has a Top Loading dry bag with backpack straps on it that he runs on his BMW F650 GS - we were talking about it & I asked about why he chose the backpack straps - he said : "If my bike ever breaks down or you get stuck somewhere and have to walk out, the backpack style makes it SOO much easier to carry what you need to help". --- And now, being the gear guy that I am - I am thinking of upgrading to one similar - haha !

[​IMG][​IMG]
  7. Subutai

Subutai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They sell them in every camping and boating store for a penny. Buy fancy motorcycle branded and it's at least a hundred.

Just saw a big one advertised for 19 euro in a local hardware store's boating section. It was meant for hauling around boating gear, 100% waterproof, submersible. Checked it out but it was a little too big for my taste.
  8. Callahan

Callahan Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is what I actually own and use at the moment and yes it is real good. I also have a smaller one the Chatooga which is a little on the small side of what I need.
  9. fishhuntride

fishhuntride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have pictures of their bags attached? Lots of nice bags here but some might be too wide for what I want. 24-26" is about as wide as I want but pictures might convience me that I could go bigger.
  10. DireWolf

DireWolf Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer:
    Ortlieb.

Bombproof.
  11. Okie Preacher

Okie Preacher Long timer

Oddometer:
    +100 on the Wolfman Bag. Excellent customer service and support. I use the medium bag on the back of my GS and am pleased every time that I load it up and strap it on the bike. Very flexible as to how it can be packed and the amount of kit and gear that can be stowed is amazing. :thumb
  12. wibby

wibby BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer:
    I've been using this dry bag on my bike from Seattle Sports since 2005. I've owned it since 1999. It's never leaked to date

It's about 26"x13"

It holds my two person tent including poles and stakes, sleeping bag, exped sleeping pad w/chair kit, pillow and my frog togs, with room to spare

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. fishhuntride

fishhuntride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to everyone for the replies. It is helpful. Does anyone know of discounts to Advrider members and/or perferred/recommended sellers for what seems to be any number of quality bags?
  14. Happycamper

Happycamper Have bikes, will travel

Oddometer:
    +200. Worth the extra jack IMHO.
  15. a2ronm

a2ronm Ti-6Al-4V

Oddometer:
    Blue Seattle Sports Roll Top Waterproof Duffel Bag - Large on the VStrom. Stapped with ROK straps thru the carry handles.

Black Bag Connections Roll Top Waterproof Bag on the Versys. Comes with it's own tie downs and has multiple attachment points.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. BuddingGeezer

BuddingGeezer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1000. They DO NOT leak.
  17. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:
    Think 16 days rafting on the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. I used a large duffle and small backpack and my stuff stayed dry the whole time. I travel for work with a small duffle and sometimes my gear rides in the back of a pick up in all kinds of weather and it too has never leaked.

Having said that, I'm seriously thinking a Wolfman small size is in my near future. The Cabelas bags are just a tad big for what I want to pack on a bike.
  18. bretedge

bretedge Do Epic Shit

Oddometer:
    Though not sold as a "dry bag", I've been using North Face Basecamp duffels for nearly 12 years (2 years on a bike) and have never had a leak. I just spent two straight days riding in the rain w/ a size medium TNF Basecamp duffel on the back and everything inside stayed dry. Inside the duffel I carry my tent w/ poles and stakes, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, pillow, clothes, iPad and Chaco's on the inside w/ my tripod strapped to the outside. It's packed pretty tight but this works well for me.

Here's a pic of it on the back of my bike.
    [​IMG]
  19. fishhuntride

fishhuntride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Which size Bags-Connection bag is that, 34L or 60L?

20. Earache

Earache Hola!

Oddometer:
    My Helen 2 Wheels Large duffle leaks...and it's only 7 years old, has 100,000+ miles on it, used as a gear bag for international flights several times, hauled way much shit in it than it should.:lol3

Just bought another one from RPW (no affiliation whatsoever) as they're local to me, have them in stock and are nice guys.