NX250 Thread -- official ADV owners manual

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by valvecrusher, Mar 17, 2008.

1. fikse

fikse All-season-rider

Oddometer:
    I belive there will come more options to the 19", as more new bikes come with this. I use Continental ContiTrailAttack 110/80 R19 as summertyre. It fits nice, with a fingers distance:

[​IMG]
  2. Ratchdaddy

Ratchdaddy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have put a few older bikes back on the road that the carbs were absolutely gummed up. I have the carb dip, I have used tiny copper wires to poke out the jets, but the method that I have used for the most stubborn is boiling the jets for a few minutes then poking them with copper wire. Not my idea, got if from the net, but it works.
  3. fiep

fiep Long timer

Oddometer:
    man am I glad hubby bought me that oversized jewlery cleaner
  4. Ratchdaddy

Oddometer:
    Cool, She has one of those also. I never thought of that.
  5. Ratchdaddy

Oddometer:
    Spent the afternoon showing my 17 year old son how to read the manual and he did most of the work. He pulled the carb from the bike. We took apart the carb. The main and slow jet were good but there was lots of gunk in there. Showed him how to clean it and explained what each part did. We put it back together and went to fire it up and nothing at first.

I could see the dissapointment after the last couple of hours making the carb spotless, we both thought it would fire. I thought the tank was clean enough and took that for granted. I was wrong. The petcock was also clogged.

He went in to shower off the carb cleaner and gas to get ready for a date. When he came back out, he came back out to a purring NX250. WOOHOO. He wanted to bail on his girlfriend and work on the bike some more. I advised him against that. From personal experience, I know that there are some things that you have to balance your love of motorcycles with.

We are going to have to clean the tank real good. Somewhere in the past the tank was creamed or some other treatment. Now it is coming off in spots. The petcock was clogged with a gummy substance.

He is pretty excited. We still have some work to do to get this bike on the road, but the brass ring is within reach.
  6. Motoswami

Motoswami Motoswami

Oddometer:
    Ratchdaddy said:

"We are going to have to clean the tank real good. Somewhere in the past the tank was creamed or some other treatment. Now it is coming off in spots. The petcock was clogged with a gummy substance."

Suggestion: in the meantime, an in-line filter might prevent having to re-do the carb cleaning job.

Good daddy showing your son how things work. Too bad he wasn't on hand for the magic moment when the planets lined up just right and it fired up.

Pete

7. fikse

fikse All-season-rider

Oddometer:
  8. Ratchdaddy

Oddometer:
    Yup Pete,

I knew I should have used the inline filter but the parts store was 20 minutes away and we were on a roll this morning. We spent the morning cleaning the tank. Layers of the cream crap came out and lots of rust but no leaks.. Cleaned the petcock good and the screen. I thought the tank was clean enough the the petcock screen would catch anything if there was still some crud. I was wrong. She started right up and we were riding her around for about 30 min before the carb gummed up again. Oh well, we know how to pull it off now.

The other problem that became evident was that the clutch in the new engine may be bad. I am going to pull it apart later. It does not disengage. I am thinking probably warped plates or a weak spring. Anyone have any thought on this? I have the good clutch from my other engine but I looked online and a fleabay clutch pack is only 40 bucks so I may go that route if necessary. Back to the garage.

Turns out that I am also missing all the air cleaner parts. I will tear apart the garage and my storage unit to see if they were missplaced. I dont remember if I ever had them at all. Any good alternatives such as a pod airfilter that anyone has done?
  9. tntmo

tntmo Oops, I did it again.

Oddometer:
    I've got a tank and an airbox for sale.....

10. RebelYell

RebelYell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ahhh look its a snow lepeaord nice kitty:evilGoes to show ya Hondas ultra reliability:deal
  11. fikse

fikse All-season-rider

Oddometer:
    I had a rough clutch. It did disengage, but very difficult to find the spot between engage/disengage. This spot varied for each time I used the clutch... Bought a fleabay-set. Replaced all plates, but the springs appeared not not fit (1 round to much, still length and diameter was identical). No difference, still very rough. Then replaced springs (bought OEM, acceptable price), voila. Clutch like new. Pretty straight forward to replace springs, no need for special tools: New gasket, new oil/filter and cooling liquid. You need a special nut-remover to replace plates (possible to DIY, but cheap on fleabay).

Best of luck :clap
  12. fikse

fikse All-season-rider

Oddometer:
    Definately! Several VAG cars (Transporter, Audi A4), a couple Toyota's and a Ford refused to start yesterday. Our Opel started with some cuffs. I was pretty surprised the Nixie started so instantly. The throttle was partly frosen, and most switches was hard to move. Ignition switch was frozen in the steeringlock mecanism, even if I have greased all moving parts with quality grease/oil. Got an hour with playing in the snow and ice (I should have a bike camera!), and the new Heidenau studded wintertyres got "approved" from me :1drink Some bigger studs would be better on the ice, but this slippery ice its rather seldom to experince on the roads here, so... :-)
    But it's cold to drive now. It's alot moisture in the air, so it's not comfortable to breath..
  13. thirstybuck

thirstybuck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought my NX as a skeleton with a bunch of boxes and put it together. Then I blew it up. Then I fixed it again. I made a MCCT and I've been riding it almost everyday since then. It's been between anywhere between 20-65F here and it never skips a beat. 20* morning, crack the throttle once, close the choke, and it start like a champ. I mainly commute in the city and I can't really fault the bike. I know that was its original intended purpose and I'm finally getting to enjoy it as such. I'm able to park next to the GS's, KTMs, and DRZs and just smile as I walk into work. Sure they look great, but the NX is economical, simple, nimble, and peppy enough to make a city commute fun - and dissuade me from modding my car.

Anyway, the point of this post is to say that despite the fact that my NX qualifies as an antique next year I'm thoroughly enjoying it and I wasn't sure I ever would after it exploded. I plan to continue driving it through the winter a part from when there is snow/ice on the streets. Any other winter commuters in here? I need to change out to fork oil and do an oil change this weekend. To my knowledge, a fork oil change is dead simple: pop out the drain bolt, pump the fork a couple times, replace bolt, and then crack the tops off and refill with 13.9oz of ATF. I wanted to add PVC spacers as well as a cheap preload to counteract the marshmallow fork. What size PVC has been used? 1.5" or 2" diameter? I know there are better ways to do this, but I'm just looking to take a little of the brake dive out of it and have a bit better ride.

Stay warm and ride on!
  14. RebelYell

RebelYell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right now my nx sits in the garage uninsured and not registered,Im debating if i wait till spring or not to go get it on the street.Right now money has been kind of tight.
  15. fiep

fiep Long timer

Oddometer:
    if money is tight now,
    what makes you think it will be less tight after xmas?
  16. RebelYell

RebelYell Long timer

Oddometer:
    It wont be less tight and sad to say if we fall off fiscal cliff alot of us are going over w it I feel.THis bs is gonna bankrupt america. Hell I might just have to park the car n truck an ride more:lol3Im german,ya know what they say about germans,ya just cant keep a good german down:deal:evil:1drink
  17. Honda Scoot

Honda Scoot Time To Ride

Oddometer:
    Preload fork spring spacers work, but they can only load the spring rate that remains in the old springs.
    Using 15 wt (150 lb rider) or 20 wt (200 lb rider) fork oil will slow the fork compression and delay the bottoming of the springs espessially with an inch less of fork travel when using preload spacers.

This is the order used from top to bottom:
    White PVC Spacer, 1 1/16" in diameter, cut SQUARE at 15/16" in length
    1/16" thick stainless steel flat washer 1 1/4" diameter
    Short factory Spring
    Factory Washer
    Long Factory Spring

Same feelings here on the NX. Every couple of months I think about replacing it. With what?
    High strung dualsport - requires an oil change every 6 hours of use - No way
    Another reliable dualsport - have one - I'm Swiss - Why spend money on a newer version of what I have.
    Keeping this bike FOREVER!
  18. valvecrusher

valvecrusher tractus pro pensioâ„¢

Oddometer:
    If anyone has a plastic DRIVE SPROCKET COVER for the left side,

Please PM me, with a price....

When my chain exploded this week, it busted mine up...
    Luckily, i was only going 3mph when the chain locked up and wrapped around the CS sprocket...

All I need is the little plastic cover that keeps your pants from getting chewed into the drive chain..

Thanks ya'll, Ride Safe!
  19. tntmo

tntmo Oops, I did it again.

Oddometer:

I had the same thing happen, the master link went bye-bye and the chain destroyed the cover. I salvaged most of my parts and glued them back together, but it's still not all there. Sort of like my mind. :rofl
  20. larry31

larry31 Back Roads Explorer

Oddometer:

Maybe this would help if you decide to repair the old one.
    http://www.plastex.net/Home_Page.php
    I haven't tried it but seems like a possible repair item if that's the way you have to go.