spark plug question

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Kawidad, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried a standard (electrode) CR8 Iridium tipped plug in the 950 motor?

FWIW, I've ran CR8E's in my RFS for years without any adverse affect or performance loss.

:ear
  2. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since I posted this question and no one answered, I'll assume that it hasn't been tried before. :wink:

So, I volunteered my bike to be the guinea pig. I put them into my bike and so far so good. (I don't have all that many miles yet due to schedule and weather.) With them installed, the bike does seem to run a little better, slightly snappier on acceleration.

If anything bad happens I'll post it, but so far seems okay.

:norton
  3. emelgee

emelgee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't see why anybody wouldn't use the recommended item - it's not as if they're expensive.
  4. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    The claim is that the iridium tipped plugs provide a slightly hotter/cleaner spark for a more efficient burn, and last much longer than a standard plug.

Plus, in my case, no one in my area stocks the factory original plug, but several (non KTM) dealers (the nearest KTM dealer is over an hour's drive away) stock this plug. Price is a push.

I switched to the standard CR8E plugs in my RFS years ago, because of the stocking issue, plus price is about half or less, and never noticed any performance drop off.

So, I thought I'd experiment. :devildog
  5. Fitero

Fitero Just One of Billions

Oddometer:
    I installed the Denso Iridiums in my Cagiva, and enjoyed slightly smoother idle, as well as easier starting. The typical mid-range Ducati 2-valve motor lean spot was a bit better as well after installation. The plugs I replaced with the Iridiums, were new too. Just standard plugs though.

So, I just bought a set (Denso, IU24A) from a local Autozone, to install in my SM. I have not installed them yet. I have to get down to the dealer and buy a plug wrench for these tiny things! My tool set didn't come with one.

Regards,
    Peter
  6. Stobie

Stobie Mr. Motivated Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put one in my 640, and also enjoyed noticeably better starting and idling, and general better running when putting around at low speeds. Couldn't really tell a difference at higher rpm.
  7. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went for a longer ride yesterday (time not distance) and it ran great. I guess I'll call it a sucess.
    :clap

As a side note, I spoke to my friend who is a long time professional m/c mechanic and KTM owner. I told him about what I did and he said he would have recommended the change if I had asked him. He said that iridium tipped plugs are the real deal, that's why all the new high end Japanese products are coming with them factory installed. :deal
  8. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    what vendor? NGK or DENSO? I see one post where the Denso, IU24A is referenced. Is this accurate? curious about what exact number you are running since I have my bike peeled apart right now and plugs are easy to get at.
  9. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ngk Cr8eix
  10. Fitero

Fitero Just One of Billions

Oddometer:
    The Denso plugs have a smaller tip on the positive electrode, 0.4mm I think.
    NGK plugs have a 0.8mm tip.
    I like the theoretical benefits of a smaller electrode.
    YMMV