Best radiator guard

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by leftshark, Oct 17, 2012.

1. leftshark

leftshark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    St. Albert Alberta and too many other places
    Going to be doing almost 4000km on gravel and shale and need the best protection for my juices possible. Suggestions? I like the altrider one the best right now.
  2. Leap of Faith

Leap of Faith My hand to the devil

Oddometer:
    Purchased SM Motech guards. They are same principle as Altriders except for welded inserts. I dropped Trophy twice in gravel and not a scratch on plastics. Also held up from impact and did not bend crashbars but even if it did it is worth investment. It is a must because as another Advrider inmate has already stated "It is not a matter of if, but when"!
  3. leftshark

Oddometer:
    More specifically the grill in front of the rad. Already have sw crash guard, already used them. Lol
  4. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got the Altrider rad gaurd and am happy with it. I too felt it was the best of the lot of what's out there.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
  5. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    You could do a homemade one like JDrocks did on his Ninja 650 conversion. See the "some assmebly required" forum.

David
  6. Hayate

Hayate ADV Monkey

Oddometer:
    Between the fender and OEM plastic cover dissipating any possible debris thrown up how likely is a stray to even do damage to the radiator? I'd think the hefty guards up there would be more useful to plow through brush and sticks that might spear through the plastic? I honestly have no clue, so tell me if that's so... I'm just trying to restrain myself more from the ever expanding weight of this bike. You know, the theory that just because Touratech makes it I need to bolt it on?

Cheers,
    GSMonkey
  7. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kildala is fantastic! I have run it for years. Great protection and good air flow. Great price of $100.
    The Kildala is a true dirt bike style radiator quard when looking at it from the front wheel you cannot get a rock or poke a stick into any part of the guard.
    The louvres direct air in from the side. The altrider design is more of a street grill to prevent large objects from hitting the radiator.

Contact Rick: <code>rbizarro@telus.net

http://kiladala.myshopify.com/collections/f650gs-twin-f800gs

[​IMG]
    </code>
  8. lakota

lakota Geeser Supporter

Oddometer:
    I totally agree with the Kildala recommendation but it does not look like he has any for sale.
  9. cchoc

cchoc Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer:
    I wonder the same thing. I'm also curious if some sort of a screen to filter out brush and bugs that might clog the radiator would be more useful?
  10. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I replaced the original plastic gaurd only after doing the high fender mod. Lots more potential for flying debris without the low fender, but it's a trade off I'm happy to make.
  11. SDDinNH

SDDinNH Ridgerunner

Oddometer:
    I had that same question for the F658. I'm hoping to do Labrador next year and this one looks great for the roads up there. I just ordered it. Thanks for the advice :beer
  12. Hayate

Hayate ADV Monkey

Oddometer:
    I'm also now deleting a bunch of the side protection bolt on bits from my wish list. Basically going with the theory that everything that isn't a skidplate or crashbars on the "engine protection" section of the TT site isn't a net gain. For the small chance that one of those shiny pieces saves ya mechanically is it worth the weight? At some point extra pounds = an extra fall here and there (which in turn can cause something to break).

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/301/Protection-Guards-for-BMW-F800GS

I have the skidplate, skidplate extension (lame!) and oil filter guard in the engine protection section and I think that's all I need from there.
  13. leftshark

Oddometer:
    Not overly worried about rocks coming off my own bike but riding a long distance in a group and on trucking road there are a lot of airborne hazards
  14. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kildala is also made in BC Canada so you can get domestic shipping
  15. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    The OP was referring to the guard that covers the radiator from rocks etc. Not bars that protect if the bike falls on it's side. I never bothered to change the radiator guard. My bike has done Ruta 40 and quite a bit of dirt and gravel without a radiator problem. Has anyone experienced a radiator problem? The reason why I ask is I am thinking of doing Siberia next.

I don't have a good opinion of Tourtech. They love to sell you guards for stuff that wont break anyway. Dave
  16. EPMD

EPMD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. MaxEpr

MaxEpr where'd who go???

Oddometer:
    :cry:cry My brand new 2012 F800GS purchased to replace a bent 2009 KLR650 for the Western TAT. The first oil change was after the Denver to Bend Oregon for a ??? 2012 KTM rally??? then we plowed the heavily laden beasts (a nod to Huge Rushs KTM990 vin#) through silt and sand until the 800 escaped the rutted sandy track and took out the radiator on some scrub or mesquite. I dont know desert foliage. Looking at the multitude of gaurds I'm leaning to the Kiladala 4mm outward louvers. I need a BMW guy to tell me if the 650 and 800 use the same radiator gaurd. Or does anyone have a better radiator and gaurd combo???
  18. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the 800's radiator is wider, but I'm not positive.
  19. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    this is correct, the radiators are different dimensions.
  20. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
    I would say a radiator guard is a must for anyone who even looks at a dirt road. There were far too many occasions where I had to patch up someone elses radiator with quick metal or re-route piping if it had twin radiators. I couldn't understand why they didn't have any protection from sticks etc. I guess they worked on the principle that "it won't happen to me"

I made mine out of woven stainless mesh. I guess it is an advantage to work in heavy industry where materials and equipment are on hand.