Gear with buddy

Discussion in 'Americas' started by dravnx, Feb 7, 2015.

1. dravnx

dravnx Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving on a 14 day trip to Baja with a buddy. It will be a combination camping/motel kind of trip. Do we both bring stoves, cook kits, fuel, first aid kits or divide it up? We've toured a few times now and have always brought our own gear. On one trip, I had to bail because of a crash, he carried on and it was probably a good thing we each had all our own stuff. On the other hand, it seems like a waste to double up on everything. How does you do it when touring with a riding buddy?
  2. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    I always carry my own gear for the same reason you mentioned...sometimes somebody has to leave. If somebody else I ride with wants to use my stuff on a trip I am fine with that; however I've been in a situation where somebody else leaving caused me to not have something I needed later. You'll never hear me have the conversation "I didn't bring it because I thought you were bringing it" back and forth with anybody I ride with. Nothing wrong with duplicates on a group ride...two is one, one is none philosophy there.
  3. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I ride with 17 yr old son.....1 set of tools & survival first aid kit.....why .......we stay together, in your example we would have both quit.

When riding with my buddies different expectations. ...hince everyone carries there own gear.

So, I would say it depends on yours and your partners expectations. ...that you work out before the ride.

scott
  4. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Colleen and James split everything and we rarely duplicate unless it's wine or booze.
  5. Academy

Academy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One tent split between two bikes is easier to pack. One cookset but bring both stoves and fuel bottles. Boiling wa ter for coffee on one and making oatmeal on the other. Stoves can crap out too. Same with the water filter, bring both they can clog up.
    Lay out your gear alongside your buddys in the garage and eliminate some doubles. One good knife or one leatherman is enough. Maps first aid kit tire pump can be shared
  6. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I agree similar to this. Some things you want your own, but no need for axes and doubling a bunch of pots.
    Make sure you have a compressor and plug kit between you.
  7. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I personally prefer to carry all of my own gear, even if it is redundant. If anything happens, I'll still have the gear to keep going.

I pack so that everything fits in my cases, so other than a little bit of weight savings, there's no real benefit for me to split things up anyhow. If you have a bunch of stuff strapped to your bike, than it may be quite useful to split it up.
  8. dravnx

dravnx Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I'll stick with how we've been doing it. The few redundant things are not substantial enough to run the risk of not having them if we have to split up. Thanx for the input. If you can't ride sane, ride safe.
  9. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good plan. Only thing that I would consider would be a tent. But make sure you both have space to haul it should one have to quit.
  10. dravnx

dravnx Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll stick with my own tent. I like my space and we're not "that" close.
  11. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a big four person tent. I like to be able to stand up inside............so its not that cozy.......LOL.......But I understand your point.