Gaerne Balance Oiled Boots

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by trizzo, Jul 15, 2010.

1. bodhizafa

bodhizafa How hard can it be?

Oddometer:
    Really stuck trying to choose between these and the Sidi adventure. Gaerne....really comfy or Sidi......ok comfort but more protection. What is driving me nuts is that nobody in the Denver area sells the Balance Oiled so I can't see them in person. :dunno
  2. Makis54

Makis54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had mine for 3 years now. Great boot. Comfortable and waterproof. I've put around 30,000 miles on them. I would say that the Sidi's probably have a little more protection, but the Gaerne's aren't bad. I found that they fit true to size. I wear a US 11 standard width and I use the Gaerne Euro size 45.
  3. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    I have the Adventures and still go back and forth about whether I should have bought the Balance Oiled. In my case, the local shop had the Adventures so that's what I got. Had a shop had the Balance, I just as easily could have bought them (and probably would have since I paid $375 for the Sidis).

I'm really happy with the Adventures. But the squeaking really is maddening and I haven't found a foolproof, long term way to defeat it. The protection is a plus with the Sidis, but when I get to work the first thing I do is take them off (because of the squeaking mostly, comfort is fine). If I had the Balances, I'd probably just leave them on all day based upon reviews. I guess that's what I really like about them is that they truly are a great compromise boot. If you're willing to give up some protection, you get a great looking boot (with no squeaking!)

I probably could do without all the protection of the Sidis, so perhaps the Balance would have been the better choice.
  4. Golevi

Golevi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    MotoGear Outlet sells them and plus, they are some great guys to deal with...

5. bodhizafa

Oddometer:
    Any good online retailers that sell the Gaerne's and have a good return policy? Would like to at least try on a pair and see how much or little protection there actually is. The Sidi's were just a smidge tight, as I walked around in them they got more comfy (size 42, I'm a 9 US). The sole in them seemed to be very stiff and a little awkard to walk in. I can see our point about changing shoes when you get somewhere. Now you got me leaning towards the Gaernes! :hmmmmm
  6. bodhizafa

Oddometer:
    I'll check it out.
  7. Golevi

Golevi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was in there last weekend and tried a pair on... Nice boots...
  8. bodhizafa

Oddometer:
    Forgot all about that place! :clap Huge thanks, I'll have to check them out this weekend.
  9. stilldointime

stilldointime Fast and Loose

Oddometer:
    Yes.....my forgotten neighbor to the north. The way I understand it, is that you have never worn these "boost"......just seened dim on the interweb......eh? Thanks for the detailed and helpful review. Yet another bit of good advice from the sister.
  10. Shredahead

Shredahead Old and in the way

Oddometer:
    Buy the non waterproof Balance and treat it with a good wax based leather waterproofer. Way less expensive and the boot has very few seems, the leather is tanned and virtually waterproof. Ridden in the rain in them many a time, crossed creeks, always dry. Usually two coats or wax a year is enough to keep them dry plus it really protects the leather and your boots will last and last.
  11. jglow

jglow Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer:
    I have the Balance Oiled. Super comfortable, and look normal when pants are over them. This is actually my second pair. The first ones I bought and then immediately took a trip to Alaska. Found out pretty quick that they were less that "waterproof", but had to stick it out as there were not many options for return while on the road. When I got back from my trip I called the dealer I bought them from and told them I was pretty bummed about the boots not being waterproof. They called Gaerne and got be some new ones. Haven't had a chance to real world test the new ones, but I stood in a bathtub of water with the new ones for about 5 minutes and these seem to be waterproof. Maybe the first pair I got were just busted.

As far as protection. They really don't offer that much support. I would say if protection is a concern, but you are not totally into the Sidi's, then take a look at the Alpine Star's Scouts. We just got a pair for my wife. Totally waterproof, and more ankle protection, but not too stiff. If I was buying boots today I would probably go with the Scouts. They are about $75 cheaper, better protection, definitely waterproof.
  12. Shredahead

Shredahead Old and in the way

Oddometer:
    I believe they are the exact same boot but the oilded has a waterproof membrane and the standard Balance are black only.
  13. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Different leather also. Balance Oiled has a special oil-treated leather. Pro-Tech is regular full grain.

BP
  14. T

T --------------

Oddometer:

Yeah, get 'em from the Bombers. Good guys to deal with...
  15. bodhizafa

Oddometer:
    Finally got to try these on. Wow they are comfy! Had one Balanced oil on and one Sidi Adventure on, no comparison in comfort (at least for my feet) Sidi was crushing the top of my big toe pretty badly, next size up was really too big.

Just worried about the protection factor. To be honest the Sidi's didn't seem all that protective either, they look the part but were still easily bendable at the ankle, although the sole seemed much stiffer.

Leaning towards the Gaerne's now.
  16. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bodhizafa, what did you choose?

BP
  17. bodhizafa

Oddometer:
    Ordered them from you bro! Got the Gaerne Pro-tech ones. Just waiting for them to show up :clap
  18. BOOGIEMAN

BOOGIEMAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After reading this and doing my research. I bought a pair of these boots. from a member of this forum. bomber:clap
  19. BOOGIEMAN

BOOGIEMAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I posted I had orderer the gaerne balance oilded boots from Brtp4. I received an order confirmation at 2.21 pm and at 3.13 pm received a Ups tracking # . Later at 3.42 pm received email that the order had shipped. are you kidding me? What service I will be shopping with them again.:clap
  20. yaw

yaw lost

Oddometer:
    I rode in downpour for about 2 hours. My socks were wet right around the edges of my feet. I'm guessing they leaked through the seams. I'll probably just seal them there. Riding them more as a road boot. I will be doing more dualsporting and debating if they offer enough protection. Otherwise they are really comfortable.