Finke 2015

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Angry Pete, Sep 27, 2014.

1. tprtel

tprtel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just done mine aswell. Training started yesterday at TTG mx.
  2. TB650

TB650 An average punter living the dream

Oddometer:
    Hi DB

I only just found this thread, did you get a GPX copy of Walkers. We have pre-run and recorded it at RideADV and would be happy to share it with you if you still need it.

TB
  3. PBee

PBee ...---...

Oddometer:
    The marks on the road were there for quite a while too.
    It was a tourist attraction.:D
  4. Angry Pete

Angry Pete VK4APV

Oddometer:
    Yep sure did, thanks for that! (Though I sent you a PM)
    When I overlaid it with my trip from 2013, I found where we (I) took the 'detour'!

Things are still getting prepped for the trip, I'm making a more compact muffler and I'll probably got for a set of Andy Strapz Expedition Panniers to carry to 2 x 10ltr fuel containers. Also got to make up the pannier racks, done the basic rack, just have to make the mounts. (Got some stuff on eBay that I hope will finance these!)

[​IMG]

Steve is still looking for a set of 950 Safari tanks...

Looking forward to catching up with inmates along the way and those competing at Finke. (we're not going up to Alice, just to Finke then heading south..):freaky
  5. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    Officially in. #603 this year.:freaky
  6. kipo

kipo South Australian Tiger Resistance Group

Oddometer:
    I'm in, #803
  7. ratbike-nath

ratbike-nath boozey idiot

Oddometer:
    I was 3rd on the waiting list, so always guaranteed a spot. But my place has now been confirmed, #250. Well stoked!

The guys who I was planning on doing it with didn't enter so I might be after blagging some stuff off inmates. Like if anybody has their own fueling sorted and wouldn't mind getting their mate to look after a small jerry for me.
  8. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    Congrats. Why not use the club re-fuel? What bike you on?

Canoli
  9. Thunder Dan

Thunder Dan I don't like wallabies...

Oddometer:

Hey DB,

Fogo & I are heading out to Crew for a team of 6 x bikes. We're pretty time poor, and Fogo's back is still healing - so we're flying from Sydney direct to Alice Springs. Getting there on the 5th, leaving on the 9th.
    Booked tickets last month. :D

The bikes are a mixture of CRF's and Kato EXC's.
    The Riders all have there entries in.

We both dig working on bikes, and Condo was a hoot last year.
    Absolutely pumped to get amongst it.

Cheers,

Dan. :D
  10. waldecker

waldecker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Reading about people getting organised for Finke- anyone from Sydney or Central West NSW going to compete in Finke having a spare space to transport a bike (reasonable budget contribution provided,obviously)? Plus, as we have a car going to Finke I could offer some gear transport from Alice to Finke in return..
    I am volunteering as sweep and, being short on time, leaving my trailer at home would be a relieve for me.

Cheers
    waldecker
  11. ratbike-nath

ratbike-nath boozey idiot

Oddometer:
    I'm on my xr600r (try not to laugh too hard at the back). Currently only got a 22l tank, but I'll probably try and get hold of a smaller one (like around 15l) for Finke. I'm guessing 20l of fuel would be enough even at race pace, but carrying it all from the start wouldn't be the best of ideas...

Why not club fuel? Cus it's way expensive! It's $60 for the 2stroke boys, but $250 for the 4strokes. That works out way expensive, you'd have to have a tiny tank and awful economy to get your moneys worth out of it. If I don't end up with any other options I'll have to do that, but I think I've got till May to decide?
  12. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    Trust me if you have the stones to step up and try to race this thing, no one no matter what you ride is going to laugh. So WRT the fuel, I have a 22l safari tank for my 450 X and during pre-running last year at 90% race pace I was able to get to Finke then 1/2 back on one tank. However that was A LOT of fuel to be sloshing around ( not to mention weight) so I switched back to the stock tank and found the bike to be a completely different and better handling animal. Yes the club fuel stops are expensive but it's good to know that I can save myself some hassle and get 60 seconds to shake my arms out take a power gel and wipe my goggles off every 45 min or so.

Also I was on the first 40 Km of the track yesterday and all I can say is that I hope they run a blade over it. The rain really f-ed things up and there were huge holes and plants right in the middle of everything.

Good luck to us and see y'all on the starting line.
  13. waldecker

waldecker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had a look at the entry list today and found one unexpected name:
    <table class="ui-jqgrid-btable" role="presentation" tabindex="0" id="grid" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr role="row" id="489" tabindex="0" class="ui-widget-content jqgrow ui-row-ltr ui-state-highlight"><td role="gridcell" class="ui-state-default jqgrid-rownum" style="text-align:center;" title="404">
    </td><td role="gridcell" class="ui-sgcollapsed sgcollapsed" style="">
    </td><td role="gridcell" style="" title="POSKITT, LYNDON">POSKITT, LYNDON</td><td role="gridcell" style="" title="ST. MICHAELS ON WYRE OTHER">ST. MICHAELS ON WYRE OTHER</td><td role="gridcell" style="" title="KTM 690 RALLY">KTM 690 RALLY</td><td role="gridcell" style="text-align:center;" title="6">6</td><td role="gridcell" style="text-align:center;" title="622">

622</td></tr></tbody></table>This guy certainly loves a challenge-good on you Lyndon!!
    Looking forward to watching him hauling that beast down the track.
  14. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:

Then he is chucking in a simpson crossing after.
    Mad eh
  15. Angry Pete

Angry Pete VK4APV

Oddometer:
    Things are getting close now.
    How's everybody's preparation going?

We've had to cut our trip short, so the southern Flinders and Quorn visit is out, (I was really looking forward to a Schnitzel).

Plan B:
    Drive out Innaminka.
    Innaminka to Birdsville via Walkers Crossing and the inside track.
    Birdsville to Finke via QAA/French line Mt Dare etc
    Finke, Oodnadatta, Marree, then out to Arkaroola.
    Arkaroola back to Innaminka (maybe via Cameron Corner depending on time).

Hope to catch up with a few of you out there. Good luck to all competing. I'll try to drop in and annoy you at Finke!

Pete
  16. Angry Pete

Angry Pete VK4APV

Oddometer:
    G'day Dan,
    What competition numbers have your riders got? I'll try and track you down out there.

How's the leg coming along Dan?
  17. kipo

Oddometer:
    My Finke prep is underway, bit to do yet :lol3

[​IMG]
  18. Aussie Trev

Aussie Trev aka DRTrev

Oddometer:
    Gonna give it a run at the end of the month Kipo?:wink:
  19. kipo

Oddometer:
    No, I'm going to set it for Finke and it won't have any lights etc. I'll be bringing Old Faithfull, the DRZ and the PE is not looking good at this stage of making an appearance at the Classic :(:
  20. Aussie Trev

Aussie Trev aka DRTrev

Oddometer:
    Okay, I was wondering if you needed an extra bike trailered up to Ango. Is your back-up team going to be at Finke again? I think I might do the same trip as last time. Will start to firm the plans up after the Classic.