Does Make Sense an HP2E & 1200GSA fleet?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by alfaris, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Mr. Magoo

Mr. Magoo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 1200GSA and an HP2E. Great Combo. The HP2 is a race/play bike. The GSA is everything else. :D
  2. alfaris

alfaris MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer:
    WOW :huh

you also have a Defender ¡¡¡¡¡¡ Beleive it or not i was wondering to buy one trading my current Mitsubishi DID 11 years old 178k on it.
    CONGRATS FOR YOUR FLEET :clap:clap:clap:freaky

But regarding the thread. I ve read you on the HP2 forums and i trus very much your criteria. Sure leaving the HP2 for off road the bike would be more on its spirit, thats where i like it most. Due to its engine it has some road capabilites and that is why some people like to "trailize" it as i did on my first HP2 E.:cry

Current HP2 E is setup with wunderlich rack to mount a gas can when needed or some gear on long rides, but i like to remove the upper rack so bike remains almost original, and a wunderlich vario screen to hold the GPS in place, rest add ons are off road oriented as TT skid plate, lambda & chassis protectors, engine bars, handguards, etc... Bike came with holan ADV cases racks which i have already remove, that rear subframe even on the blue parts do not like such efforts of hard luggage.:evil

so i am with you the more off road oriented the HP2 is........the better.

talking about the ADV, i agree as a superb commuting tool ,no matter weather or distance. When i have mine i liked to describe it to my friends as the kind of bike you can ride right now from Madrid to Moscow as it comes from factory. I remember myself riding 350kms non stop on country roads till my butt remained me to stop longer before the fuel tank reserve blinker.........:rofl

wouldn´t be necessary to punish the GSA off road once the HP2 is a better tool for that.

I imagine you´ll never mount knobbies on the GSA...............aren´t you? :deal

CHEERS :freaky
  3. alfaris

alfaris MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer:
    HI,

I totally agree with you

That´s what riding is all about for me..........FREEDOM. :clap

I share your sensations on the HP2, as a friend of mine described it "the HP2 is a religious experience, on the dirt on 2nd gear you can ride at 20 km/h or at 100 km/h ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡:eek1"
  4. alfaris

alfaris MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer:
    Nice description too. :clap

you introduced the word RACE, which is where the HP2 came from, remember that Erzberg races???? :eek1

the HP2 is like the "machete" brutal, straight and perfect weapon for people who do not mess around.

the GSA is like the "leatherman tool", adaptable to several uses, .....but do not forget a sharp knife is hidden among them.........

cheers :freaky
  5. Big Bad Ron

Big Bad Ron Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not at all, I thought I was pretty fast on the GSA. But its nothing like what the HP will do.
    I'm a bit of a speed junky(off road). That Hp just goes, man I love ridding that thing. I can burn off a new TKC80 in less than 4000Ks

Ride safe Ron
  6. alfaris

alfaris MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer:
    Maybe the HP2 is a trail sport-race bike, and the GSA is a trail sport-touring bike

talking about off road, i´ve just ordered a pair of Mefos stonemaster rear and mx master front for my second set of wheels on the HP2. That is the first step on having the hp2 more off road oriented to have all its potential that with the tkc´s is a bit limited when things get muddy, and when cornering.

I see the GSA with tourances most of the time, even i will try tkcs sometime to have a new point of view/sensations.
  7. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    2006 HP2E and 2005 R1200GS here. Also have F800GS and 650 Dakar. Frankly, I have not found much use for the HP2. The fuel range is limiting for an sort of adventuring. I should really fix that, but too many projects in the works right now.
  8. alfaris

alfaris MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer:
    Hi Tmex,

Thank you for answering, i have followed you on other threads, i always like to read your advices and point of view.:freaky

I agree with you on the HP2, what i try to do with it is as much dirt as i can with it , so when the fuel range starts to be an issue, is time to stop anyway and take a break, if possible, close to a Bar or a gas station. If not possible, a 3lts or 5lts can over de wunderlich rack gives me a 50-80 kms of additional fuel range.
  9. alfaris

alfaris MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer:
    By the way,

Today i have ordered a 2011 GS1200 ADV. They gave me a good value for the MM ,a great price on the adv, and a good renting proposal, so i did not think twice.

The MM is alrady on the dealer, my GSA wil arrive within 5 weeks, end of march.

2011 1200 GSA, with the security package and the touring package and Enduro first gear. That means fully geared except for the alarm and the cases.

so literally i finally jumped on the GSA.....again.
    [​IMG]
  10. funhouse

funhouse Overdue

Oddometer:
    I like a man of action! Bruce
  11. Mav

Mav Something witty...

Oddometer:
    Congrats chap!!! :clap:clap:clap
    I look forward to seeing you in this picture :evil
  12. alfaris

alfaris MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer:
    Thank you Mav,

Be sure i´ll try, so someone could take similar pic of me.:deal

By the way............Which tires are mounted on your bikes on this picture?

[​IMG]
  13. Mav

Mav Something witty...

Oddometer:

TKC's on the GSA - use these year round for commuting, trails etc. They're a great all round tyre, surprisingly good on the road (no chicken strips left) but they don't last long on the rear - not much more than 3k miles.

On the HP - I'm not sure! :shog I normally run MT21 on the front on my DS wheels and Michelin Deserts on my more dirt focused wheels. The wheels in this pic are the DS wheels... but they don't look like MT21's...
  14. alfaris

alfaris MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer:
    I see, thank you.

I am mounting on the HP2 front karooT, rear TKC 130 but i have already ordered a pair of Mefos for my second set of wheels.

On the ADV i am keeping the tourances for the moment unless i go for the dark side and i mount tkc´s too. gotta new front one on 19" on my garage so i´ll just have to purchase the rear.

Talking about accessories i´ll just install on the ADV the touratech hard part. already have injection protectors from former GSA.
  15. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats! Great motorcycle. It will be my next BMW as well - no particular timeline. Probably when the 1200GS is no longer serviceable. I will probably end up lowering it slightly.
  16. alfaris

alfaris MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer:
    Thank you Tmex,

I´ll keep thread updated when i have the GSA. I´ll like to take a pic of both bikes together on my garage and upload on this thread as a happy epilog :D
  17. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well then....I think it COULD become useful to hold down a pallet being shipped...to say, hmmm, let me think here...an inmate in Colorado? :lol3:lol3 Just think of all that garage space you would have...:evil

Alfaris...that is one sic picture..:clap
  18. alfaris

alfaris MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer:
    Yes it is, a bit sick as we advriders are............

that pic is one of my favourites when talking about what freedom of riding is about.

there are also other pics i like of GSA´s flying :wink:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

as well as i like HP2 flying :wink:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]