Maine Riders

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by PWRCRZR, Oct 17, 2008.

1. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    Mmmmm.. new plastics to smash into trees, rocks, guardrails...

[​IMG]

Is it spring yet? :cry
  2. Tslapper

Tslapper #!/usr/bin/perl -wT -I.

Oddometer:
    Yeah, not a bad idea. Done that before when we lived in Nobleboro. Heated that house with wood off the property for several years and just rented the splitter when needed.

Talking about moving out the propane stove and replacing with a wood stove here at the house. We've got hardwood coming out our ears on the back nine and it really can't hurt, well, except cutting into riding.
  3. Tslapper

Oddometer:

Trelleborgs and NH trail sticker.

You're welcome. :D
  4. PWRCRZR

PWRCRZR Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer:
    I have been trying to talk Ginger into ditching the propane in favor of wood...she like's the no mess of propane.
  5. Tslapper

Oddometer:
    We both like burning wood. It is a mess but I have ideas on how to set this thing up so it's not so bad. Dang gas burns too fast.
  6. stromsurfer

stromsurfer Stromsurfer

Oddometer:
    My apologies in advance for using so much space.....I even left out the Berkshire Rally, Puerto Rico, and the Puppy Dog to PA(lost camara)
    Awesome Year!!!
    Costa Rica
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Southeast Eight States Nine National Forests Tour
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Maine State Park Tour
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Complete Circumnavagation of the Cape
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Other Adventures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [I[​IMG]MG]https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/M/Mcoleman50_Spain3_image_zpsc87825cd.jpg[/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And my family without whom it would not be possible......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. kobukan

kobukan almost gnarly

Oddometer:
    Awesome year indeed! More than the average person will do in a lifetime. :clap
  8. BKMLWR

BKMLWR Wondering around...

Oddometer:
    here is an electric wood splitter which I paid about $650 about 6-7 yrs ago 7 ton cap.
    Looks just like what DR sellls but was cheaper because freight was free from Conn. from a place in Conn.

[​IMG]

seen here with a 10" maple cut to about 18" lg. notice the wood background..nothing is split until ready to go into the wood boiler.....skips one stack/pile sequence.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

unit weighs about 75 lbs.... easy to move runs on 110v used on 15a circuit and never trips....
    for larger dia. wood I just split off center and it does fine....
    [​IMG]
  9. PWRCRZR

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your year...you "are"a lucky man because you have a beautiful family....and that my friend is what really matters:clap

[​IMG]
  10. team8

team8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1

Went to portland last night to see the funny man, I think I spotted a "Grumpy old Bastard" there sitting in the balcony section?
  11. PWRCRZR

Oddometer:
    Yup...had my wife and son and his girl along. Bob Marley show's are always worth the price of admission:deal Ginger ends up in tear's laughing through most of it. The Merrill is a great place for a show...not a bad seat in the house.

Where were you guys sitting? All healed up these days? see your back to doing stuff again.
  12. team8

team8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Balcony section front row to your left, caught a glimps of you at the end but wasn't sure. Healed up 100%, and ready for that "Do over" come spring
  13. Tslapper

Oddometer:

Was wondering about those electric splitter. Looks like they do the job fine. Thanks!
  14. PWRCRZR

Oddometer:
    Come to think of it I may have seen you but it just didn't register. You know the whole out of place thing.
  15. Tslapper

Oddometer:
    Jan 1 ride <strike>last</strike> this year. Probably not so much next year.

[​IMG]

Think I'll stud some berg tires today... :D
  16. radguzzi

radguzzi The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer:
    Tom,
    We bought a splitter about ten years ago as we heat only with the sun and wood and I do not pay for wood to be cut and split.

The splitter is one of the local hardware store brands rated at twenty-five tons, not sure where that is measured... 6.5 hp engine, hydraulic ram, I have never measured the length of the I-beam but it will more than split probably up to a 30" if you needed, I use 16" stove length.
    This thing will part the gnarliest, quadruple knotted piece of wood and not even breathe hard.

We wheel it around the property with the wheeler, split right at the site of where a tree is dropped and split it up into a trailer and haul it up with the tractor to stack it for airing. More often, depending on when the tree was cut I will leave a pile to air and dry and need to move it later. Yes, a bit more work but we consider that paying the heating bill all year long...:lol3

Having it here I can use at my leisure, go out and split up a tank full in the evening or work all day if I really want to... Yeah, right...u:1drink

Oh, I paid right around 900 bux for it back then, replete with the ten gallons of hydraulic juice to fill the reservoir...
  17. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    For a small fee you can get the splitter with a crew...

[​IMG]

:D
  18. Tslapper

Oddometer:

Sounds well worth the investment. I'll poke around the hardware stores first to see about spending local.

I had a stove guy come out and look at my set up with the propane stove and he says the chimney will convert to wood easy enough. I'll be ripping it out this spring and putting a wood stove there.

Free beer and ribs. Find me at the grill half drunk when you're done.
  19. PWRCRZR

Oddometer:
    Be interested to here what you are looking at...maybe the high gas bill's this winter will push Ginger into seeing things my way...

I have a chain saw and a splitting maul, I am not afraid of tree length wood.
  20. BKMLWR

BKMLWR Wondering around...

Oddometer:
    been buying 8cd treelength (truckload) for $1040/load last yr and $880 previous yrs...