ktm 500 exc?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Apr 27, 2011.

1. heetseeker

heetseeker Hopelessly addicted

Oddometer:
    Hell ya...awesome post, great pics.
  2. ABYSS

ABYSS KTM

Oddometer:

Or KTM 500 XCW & EXC. HA!

ABYSS
  3. Ridetosea

Ridetosea Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. heetseeker

Oddometer:
    Tried to install my 'clever lever' (adjustable and less pull) clutch lever without sucess today. The large housing of the turn/headlight/horn assembly is too big to allow for complete use of the clutch. So if you're on the fence about this lever, hang tight until another solution for the signal assembly is found...This is for the EXC, obviously...:1drink
  5. SteveO

SteveO scratched and bruised, but not out Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting! I put my C-lever on last week and rode without issue. But, now i see that any user of this C-lever on the KTM maguara hydraulic clutch will need to have the slim aftermarket switch housing. Bummer, didn't even think about that before i picked it up...

However, i can say this C-lever does make a difference. It really is an easy lever....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. heetseeker

Oddometer:
    I agree...the lever is going to work out fine once I figure out where I can find a smaller solution for the controls... one finger clutching...sweet!
  7. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    Sicassracing.com has the solution you need for the turn/headlight/horn assembly. I installed one on my EXC and it works great.
  8. Lulu7404

Lulu7404 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Until someone discovers that they are indeed different enough to separate, I think we should combine them into one thread.

I find it interesting how different our dealers are handling issues. My dealer had already installed the new fuel filter, but didn't give me the little bag of bolts to fix the suicide kickstand, or desmog. I had to buy the bolt and washer for the XCW. They didn't have any idea, what the "blue" gas was in the tank. They said we CANNOT use the map switch on this bike and that there may be someone coming out with a tuner. Also "gosh, I have always de-smoged all my bikes, but I would not do it to this bike".

I am fortunate (finally) that there are several KTM dealers in the Dallas area. I bought at RPM on I-35, can any of you guys in the Dallas area post up about the KTM place in Desoto, or up in Denton?
  9. SteveO

SteveO scratched and bruised, but not out Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. Red Barron

Red Barron Adventurer

Oddometer:

I know you didn't ask about the dealer in Decatur (Action Motorsports) but they have been the greatest to me. Orange Wrench (or something like that) service department. Offer 20% off internet orders on Monday's. I have bought a 2012 500 EXC and 2008 990 Adventure from them. Handled any warranty issues immediately. Installed the filter kit on the EXC before I picked it up. :clap

Just good folks.
    Craig Martin is the owner.

Don't want to tieup this thread. PM me if you have any questions. AND no I don't work for them. I just live in
    Decatur and am happy with their service and pricing.

Chris... and not the Kris in their parts department.
  11. ABYSS

ABYSS KTM

Oddometer:

My XCW was delivered to SMS RACING in Denton. Brain Storie is the owner and a great guy they do fantastic suspension work the take care of alot fo race teams.

Let us also not forget Curtis White @ Cycle Town South. I bought both my 950 SE and SMT from him. He is a top notch guy and knows the LC8 and the RC8 motors COLD. I'd put him up aginst any shop in that realm. Plus he can make magic happen with KTM US on occasion when others cant.

Parts wise in CHIP MUNN at Munn Racing is hard to beat.
  12. reidinitaly

reidinitaly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is a picture of my 500 EXC with the Clever Lever and the Sicass Racing Switch Installed. Tons of clearance, but I did have to cut the front part of the grip back to clear the lever.

https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/r/reidinitaly_IMAG0288.jpg
  13. heetseeker

Oddometer:

Proof! I got on their website today and have been trying to combine several items to save on shipping...just too many items to look at right now...but that switch is a winner.

Giant loop or Wolfman bags? Hmm...switches, levers, bar clamps, risers....deep breath. whew!

Beer time. :freaky
  14. dvwalker

dvwalker Lets go

Oddometer:
    curious if any of the various compact switches (baja designs, sicass, trail tech, hdb, etc) come with pre-wired with the 2 ktm connectors?
  15. reidinitaly

reidinitaly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sicass is plug and play, just order the one made for KTM 07-12. Thats why it's a bit more expensive than HDB.
  16. DanAllen

DanAllen ha-HAA

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone. Im looking to buy a 500 exc in the next month or so. My local dealer quoted me $9800 OTD, does this sound like as decent price to you guys or am I getting screwed?

Thanks in advance.
    -Dan
  17. heetseeker

Oddometer:
    Exellent price for OTD. That is below the suggested retail price.
  18. Lulu7404

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Below sticker in Dallas too. Jump on it.
  19. Lulu7404

Oddometer:
    Appreciated. Nope, just forgot about them. A bit of a drive, but having one two blocks away has done nothing for me anyway. Thanks for the contact info.
    Abyss. yes, sms was the dealer in denton I was talking about. Have family there so I frequent Denton.
    Thanks guys for the suggestions.
  20. Lulu7404

Oddometer:
    Sorry if this is a stupid question. I checked my owners manual but couldn't find the info.
    I am wanting to buy the HDB KTM specific top clamp and hand guard combo. On his website he lists the ADV version for "fat bars only". Comparing my KTM bars to my wifes CRF bars, the KTM gets larger just past the grip and control area. BUT, are these considered fat bars? I would just go ahead and order the "KTM" kit but am wondering if we already have fat bars if I can go ahead and get the ADV version so I can add some switches and plugs later, also may need a bit of a rise to stand up more comfortably. I bought this to be an ADV bike not a woods racer.

Thanks for any help. I hear he is very busy so I thought I would ask the collective before calling HDB.

Brad