CB900 Scrambler / Racer

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Entrepre-neer, May 13, 2013.

1. hiawassee

hiawassee Fair play t'ya!

Oddometer:
    looking at the pics of the bottom mount for the new shock (in the last 3 pics), I'm not sure what you need to cut. looks like it'll mount just fine. did I miss something?

also, can I assume that swingarm mount point is threaded?
  2. Entrepre-neer

Entrepre-neer Ultimate Tight A$$

Oddometer:
    The swingarm mount is just a rubber bushing with a metal insert. The clevis on the stock shock is threaded on one of the ears.

Mounting to the stock eye on the swinger forces the shock out of alightment (to the outside) at the bottom. I'm not a fan of that angle. It is more pronounced as the shock compresses and I'm not sure if that lateral force will eat the rubber bushings or perhaps the internal shock seals.

Here's what I have in mind for my first try at mounting. I'm going to machine two plates for each side of the swingarm. Ill bolt them together via the stock mount hole and an additional hole I'll drill through the axle carrier plate on the swingarm.
    [​IMG]
  3. hiawassee

hiawassee Fair play t'ya!

Oddometer:

yeah, seems like if it's not flush, the awkward angle and repeated compression would most likely have an adverse affect on the soft bushing as well as the shock seal. improper wear = premature deterioration.

since you've essentially got a blank canvas to work with, may as well do it right. if you're racing that thing at RWV next month, you can bet that course won't be very forgiving. the logging roads weren't bad for the most part, but there are a couple sections where the suspension, especially on that heavy ass bike, will take a beating.
  4. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    isn't the original shock of that bike equipped with a kind of 'fork' on the low-side that graps from above to both sides of the mounting-eye on the swinging-arm? Is your shock mounted in a straight line between the upper and lower mounting-point? It may not be mounted canted to the out- or the inside! Please show a pic taken from behind of the bike showing both mounts.
    Kind regards, Bambi
  5. Entrepre-neer

Oddometer:
    The stock shock clevis mount looks like this. There are plenty of options up to 15" that offer this but 16"+ shocks have the more common eye-2-eye ends.
    [​IMG]

Some guys have made extentions for these to get extra ride height.

[​IMG]
    http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43860.0

CRD uses something like this slid over the swingarm to get extra height.

[​IMG]

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43860.0

I'm going to mount the eye to eye shocks in line with the stock mount but slightly forward.

Here's a rough rear view. The red will be my mounting plates on either side with bolts through at 3 points.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Entrepre-neer

Oddometer:
    suspension blah blah wrenchin blah blah.

Let's ride.

I'm taking the Scrambler out for a nice dual sport loop on Sunday. The loop starts north and heads south to Shawnee State Park in southern Ohio. It's 60 miles each way to the start of this loop and then the loop is about 140 miles. Thanks to the guys on the Cinci DS thread for posting up some ride reports of the area and parking the idea.

[​IMG] <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Here are some videos of off-road racing shenanigans on heavy street bikes to keep you guys entertained while I'm gone. Google W800 Gentlemen Cup for more. You're welcome. :wink:

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HawNynxsn7Y?t=2m9s" frameBorder=0 width=420 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7fyJbmErMSk" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
  7. Entrepre-neer

Oddometer:
    A little back yard video...some real dirt vids after the weekend. :wink:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HU36pHY3q1Y?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  8. ohiofathead

ohiofathead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, how was the loop? :ear
  9. Entrepre-neer

Oddometer:
    Complete success!:freaky Thanks to all those who help put gpx like this in the public hands.

We left my place at about 8:15 Sunday and got back at 8:00 in the evening. Total milage was 291. I'd say 70 miles of that was gravel and another 30-40 was one lane pavement. About 20 miles of was 4-lane..the rest was 2-lane through the coutryside. Somehow we avoided the rain until about the last 20 minutes of the ride and then just got some sprinkles.

The bike performed really well. (better than my buddies thought it would) The length and weight make it super stable on the dirt and gravel and there's no shortage of smooth power. The Shinko 50/50 tires track really nicely and gripped really well in all but the really deep gravel. The length helps when the rear gets loose because it swings out really slowly. The gps track has our max speed on gravel at 75 and it was super stable throughout that range.

I got turned around by the water bars (dirt mounds that deflect water) when we hit the logging roads. 5 inched of ground clearance and a long wheel base equal getting high centered on the pipes(better than the oil pan). Similarly, the limit to speed on rougher terrain is suspension travel and clearance as seen by my inner fender rub marks. The coming upgrades should fix that.

I'll post up some video in a day or two once I have it edited to a watchable length. I wish the mic on the gopro could do justice to the magical sound of this DOHC motor when it cracks open and breaks traction exiting a turn on gravel. It might just make Chuck Norris weep a single tear of joy. :D

Dirty Girl
    [​IMG]

A little fender rub on the big hits...[​IMG]

Pipe wrap didn't survive the barrage of gravel. A deflector is needed.

[​IMG]

Lookout Tower
    [​IMG]
  10. Entrepre-neer

Oddometer:
    Highlight reel. There are some seriously fun roads in this part of Ohio!

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nhz1uSPIbyU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]
  11. ohiofathead

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. Looks like a blast. Was that tower in Shawnee?
  12. Entrepre-neer

Oddometer:
    Yeah. It's called Copperhead lookout tower. I read somewhere that it's ohio's oldest remaining fire lookout tower.

It's only four stories tall but it's on a peak that's higher than everything nearby so you can see for miles from the top. The stairs and landings are made of rough cut lumber and the handrails would make OSHA wet their diaper. Very cool.

http://goo.gl/maps/e5r97

DNR info: http://ohiodnr.com/tabid/5136/Default.aspx
  13. ohiofathead

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'll have to check it out later this summer.
  14. Marco Moto

Marco Moto Voyager

Oddometer:
    Bike looks good, but man, that seat hurts me just by looking at it! Any plans to put more foam in it?
  15. Entrepre-neer

Oddometer:
    It has 4 layers of neoprene foam on the lower area. It's suprisingly comfortable. Its' as good as my EE soft seat on my 450. I can do about 150 miles before I start to squirm. I don't do rides longer than that very often so I think it will stay as is. Luckily we stopped about every 75 miles for gas on Sunday.

Maybe I'm justt used to riding uncomfortable bikes. If I every buy a proper touring bike I'll be screwed. :rofl
  16. Bluebone

Bluebone half band

Oddometer:
    it's amazing what your butt will get used to if you stick it out......altho those damn folding metal chairs give my ass fits.
  17. CoyoteCowboy

CoyoteCowboy Easily Distracted

Oddometer:
    Seriously cool bike, I've been tempted to do this to my 72 CB750, but I just can't bring myself to using it like that. Although I do know where a cb900 or 2 are at...:wink:

And...
    quoted for posterity...or posterior, whatever :lol3. Sorry Bluebone, I couldn't pass that one up! :rofl
  18. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you put Vaseline on the surface you don't want painted it cleans up easily. I'm sure you have that around...if your boss is anything like most!:rofl:rofl

This is almost exactly what I'm doing to my 82 cb750f/ss. I've been waiting for the kids to be gone, close enough, all outta school, maybe now daddy can have a toy or 3!

I'm goin' with either the xr or drz front end, whole thing if possible, I think a single shock. Hell I'll lose some lbs. just on those two mods. I'm keepin' the 4 into 2, sexy sounding beast, especially w/supertrapps!

You got me motivated now, just got my new stator the other day, check the rest of the electrical and I'll be able to light her up!
  19. Wile_E

Wile_E n00b

Oddometer:
    After much delay, XR650R front end is headed your way.

[​IMG]

Speaking of delay, what took so long? I was using my free cycle time to prep the sub-sonic swine for hare scramblin' on the 4th of July. Now that all that is wrapped up, I got everything sorted and stuffed into cardboard. It looks like someone might have hit something really hard with the front wheel, just sayin. :evil

[​IMG]
  20. Entrepre-neer

Oddometer:

Let's see some pics when ya get her movin!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2