60csx

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by PatrickG450, Sep 17, 2014.

1. PatrickG450

PatrickG450 point, aim and twist

Oddometer:
    So I have had my gps for quite the while. Not an expert but feel pretty good. I am getting ready to buy a tablet of some sort, I want to get one that I can put my Garmin SW on and carry with me on my scooter. For longer trips so I can add/edit tracks and for ease of use when it comes to looking at stuff.

Any suggestions?
  2. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    What software do you want to use? Mapsource? Basecamp?
  3. BKMLWR

BKMLWR Wondering around...

Oddometer:
  4. PatrickG450

Oddometer:
    oh sorry, Mapsource.

will look at linky, TY
  5. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    You'll need a Windows (full version, NOT RT) tablet.
    I have Mapsource on an 8" tablet. Mapsource, being older software, is not touch friendly.
    I suggest a 10" tablet with a 64Gb SSD and a Bluetooth mouse.
    The Acer Switch is getting good reviews.
  6. PatrickG450

Oddometer:

Good to know, thanks!!!!!!
  7. PatrickG450

Oddometer:
    UPDATE:

so I had to do my yearly updating of the maps..........well it entailed a call to the Garmin folks for some tech support. While we were yacking it up I asked her about the tablet and she confirmed that I needed a PRO version and not just a mobile version.

Thanks guys for the info and the thread, not a big windows fan but I guess I will go with it and carry me some tracks on one.
  8. PatrickG450

Oddometer:

sooooooo

I have a question. I found a good tablet with 32 gig, but Zippy the best buy boy suggested I keep files (tracks) on a usb and not worry about size. However it can be upgraded to 128 gig.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...t=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&keys=keys

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Transformer-Detachable-Touchscreen-Laptop/dp/B00OBQ59UK
  9. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    The track files are quite small and insignificant overall. It's the maps that eat up SSD space.

Since my previous post my tablet underwent a warranty repair and got a new mainboard. I was starting "fresh". Originally the tablet came with recovery discs. After the repair I had to make a recovery drive (USB stick) and got the space in the recovery partition freed up. Loaded everything back on that I had installed prior to repair and still have lots of room, so I don't consider 64GB as a must have any more. Ask about the recovery drive/partition thing. It's something that needs to be done first thing, basically right after firing the new tablet up, before loading any software.

That Asus looks like a good choice. Ask about the cost of SSD upgrade, probably best to have it done before you take it home.
    EDIT: Zippy the best buy boy was probably talking about the microSD as expansion not the actual SSD. Very different. That microSD slot is like having a USB drive that doesn't hang out the side. mircoSD chip is much easier to lose than a USB stick though.
  10. PatrickG450

Oddometer:
    ahhhh good point. Did not realize that when he was rambling off stuff to sound smart. Wonder if the micro sd "locks" in.

Thanks for the heads up
  11. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    The microSD locks in on my tablet.