The Best Adventure Bike Ever.......

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Motard_Menace, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Motard_Menace

Motard_Menace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Okay so we have GS's, Tenere's, TransAlps, Africa Twins, Tigers, DR's, Elephant's and many many more.......

What is the best adventure ride ever made. I don't care what year or if it has GPS, ABS, TC or whatever but what was the best and still might be the best. What would to take on your RTW tour if you could have any bike. I'm interested to see what folks think. I'm guessing we will have a wide variety of bikes. I personally am pretty much a noob to the adventure bike concept therefore this could be very informative if some of the long timer's who have ridden all over the globe on different bikes speak up. I don't have enough knowledge to even weigh in at this point. Anyway lets hear it...........
  2. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    KTM950 Adventure gets my vote. 50K miles on mine with Zero issues, I can commute, go chase down sportbikes in the twisties, or ride it around the world. Ask Aurel and Marion.
  3. monkeythumpa

monkeythumpa When I go slow, I go fast

Oddometer:
    It is the one that fits you, goes where you want to go, the way you want to get there.

Now, what is the best sandwich?
  4. bones_708

bones_708 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well the idea that there is one best anything is just stupid. That being said I will give a nod to one of my favorate bikes as a great early adventure bike. The 76-79 Yamaha XT500.
  5. orangebear

orangebear Long timer

Oddometer:
    for me a 06 KTM 990 Adventure been to Timbuktu and back to the uk all only thing went was the fuel pump because the fuel was so crap and a good top speed of 135mph.
  6. high dangler

high dangler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lighter is better is all im going to say .
  7. FinlandThumper

FinlandThumper Sleepy Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Bacon lettuce and tomato. What the hell kind of question is that? :lol3
  8. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    Roast Beast!:D

From some of the pics I've seen on the threads around here where Guys are way out in the jungle and need to cross a large river system on a small villagers boat...IF I'd have to generalize I'd say the smallest bike that can do the job. (so it wont sink the boat)

I'm still of the humble opinion that a simple oil/air cooled 350 class bike without any sophisticated shit on it would be the best choice. (For me, based on the R.T.W. areas I'd visit if I were so inclined)
  9. orangebear

orangebear Long timer

Oddometer:
    thats why i will keep clear of a klr 650 had one but never again. stuff like the Honda xr are good and nice and light.
  10. M-Cat

M-Cat 2 wheeled slacker

Oddometer:
    Whatever bike suits you best after riding as many as possible is usually the best one.

Personally, I would consider purchase price, ease of maintenance, reliability and comfort as the determining factors. A strong aftermarket for various upgrades never hurts.

KLR650 is my choice.
    No milk crates for me, though..
  11. Motard_Menace

Motard_Menace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So far we have 2 votes for the KTM's, XT500 and one for a KLR and one for a BLT & RB sandwich. Wasn't trying to make this a deep thinker thread but thought if you truly thought about what bike is the best there might be some cool answers. Such as the XT500 an older bike. I did have a KLR myself which is what started me looking into the Adventure Segment. Might have been the easiest bike to every ride however didn't have enough giddie up for me. I would need a little more oomph. A trade off for sure..........
  12. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    The Honda Super Cub, greatest motorcycle ever.

The bike that launched a million adventurers.

God bless you Soichiro!
  13. EastSideSM

EastSideSM Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer:
    MMMMMMMMM BLT!!!!:clap

Seriously though, I'm gonna throw my vote to the big KATOOM! KTM 9X0. It would definitely get you where you need to go AND keep a big smile on your face while doing it.
  14. Spiritwalker2222

Spiritwalker2222 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you give your definition of Adventure?
  15. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Salt Lake City Utah (formerly Park City/Heber)
    Terrain dictates this question heavily. For riding 1 up and being able to be really flexible I'm leaning more towards a KTM 690 or 640 adventure currently instead of a 950...
  16. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:
    Being stuck in Timbuktu with a busted fuel pump?

:hide
  17. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    I think I would want a bmw boxer engine,, around 900cc on a modern bike w/o abs, t/c, computers etc, and with a chain not a final drive... or at least a final drive made by Yamaha. :evil Would need better suspension than BMW has ever put on a boxer other than the HP2, so KTM suspension then, and need to weigh in less than 400lbs. A kitted out HP2 might be the answer too.

edit: i would want 8 gallons of fuel.. split 4 in a conventional tank and 4 under the seat.
  18. Aussijussi

Aussijussi Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 'vicious beast' 990adv. What else was i going to say, as i ride one! If it's mostly sealed roads, GS or the new multistrada, i dont know how reliable the Ducati is. It's a hard ask to name just one bike as the best. One bike often overlooked is the Yamahas DTM 900, with few alterations like more dirt orientated tyres and wider, higher bar's, makes it a good all arounder. I know there is the new Tenerere, different price tag though Not forgetting the KLR, DR 650's I am glad i am not the one deciding.:huh
  19. Tip Over

Tip Over Whoopsie!

Oddometer:
    Hmmm. After a neighbor let me ride one, A Ural Solo ST would be my choice. Mostly light, so simple I can fix it, and can be modified to suit whatever I need.
  20. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    And not as good of a bike as a /5 with 50,000 miles already on the clock..