I'm stuck...Alternator pulley nut NM #?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by RJK, Aug 26, 2006.

1. RJK

RJK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I'm cruising down 81S today from PA and I hear a pop and the batt. light comes on...:baldy and I have 40 miles to go. Luckily I make it to my friends house with tools before the batt goes tits-up, but I have a problem....

The belt is kinda shreaded but it came off more then anything...I've never heard of this before, but the nut that holds on the alternator wheel and shim is so loose that it caused the belt to slip off and tear.

I have a spare belt, so I'm good there, but what's the torque setting for nut? I've been looking but can't find this one.

Any help would be great or else I might just put 20nm on it and check it later. BTW: Has anyone else ever had this happen?

Thanks Ji
  2. Makalu

Makalu Long timer

Oddometer:
    According to the Hall of Wisdom maintenance manual (and this is for an 1100/1150), a torque of 5.9 ft.lbs (8 Nm) for the adjuster bolt. Once the belt is under proper tension, tighten the 2 nuts and 1 bolt to 15 ft.lb. (20 Nm). As I recall, the rule of thumb for proper belt tension is if you can twist the belt 90 degrees, midway between the pulleys, you are good to go.

Hope this helps.
  3. spicychili

spicychili Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check this site out.

http://www.r1200gs.info/misc/torque.html

I think this is what you are looking for

<table border="1" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td> Belt pulley to alternator
    Flange nut, M14 x 1.5 </td> <td> 50 Nm (37 ft-lbs) </td> </tr> <tr><td>
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
  4. RJK

RJK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys...my bad for leaving out the most obvious info...02 1150GS ADV :D

I think that'll work Chilli. With any luck, I'll be on the road in a few hours, or maybe I'll just fix it, chill, get drunk, and ride tomorrow :freaky

Thanks again, Ji
  5. markgsnw

markgsnw WTF?

Oddometer:
    this is from the 1150 factory service manual:

Poly-V belt preload ............8 Nm
    Alternator to alternator carrier cover .............20 Nm
    Retaining screw for belt pulley......................50 Nm
  6. RJK

RJK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help guys. I found out that the nut holding the alternator wheel on was abt to fall off. I got it on there tight enough to hold the belt on but it's still pretty wobbley. Definitely not the 50nm it requires.

So far I can't figure out a good way of torquing that nut down without taking the entire alternator assem. out. The damn axle just turns with the nut. I tired pinching the belt to add tension with no luck. I also tried putting a punch in the splines of the alternator to hold the axle still, which just resulted in bending those fins:baldy

At least I'm on the road albiet maybe for only a little while :lol3 :lol3

Thanks again, Ji
  7. markgsnw

markgsnw WTF?

Oddometer:
    the factory manual shows a (what else) special BMW tool to lock the clutch housing:

[​IMG]
  8. RJK

RJK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mark,

Figures...
  9. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could you do it with the bike in gear?
  10. bmwmick

bmwmick Old and Slow....Sorta

Oddometer:
    There is a hole in the end of the alternator shaft. A special T-50 Star tool is made for that hole. You can get by with using an 8mm socket wrench to hold the shaft while you tighten the nut. :clap

Mick
  11. RJK

RJK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks

I'll give that one a try. I also just heard from a mechanic friend of mine, that a punch might work by sticking it in one of the two access holes to lock the...stuff inside...:1drink , which would allow tightening the nut.

Technical ain't I :lol3 :lol3

I'm an idiot, but it's fun working on my own bike.
  12. bmwmick

bmwmick Old and Slow....Sorta

Oddometer:

I've heard of guys sticking a punch inside the alternator to tighten the nut. The usually chip the varnish off the rotor or break the vanes. :(

Mick
  13. Aventeren

Aventeren Did It: US to Ushuaia Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know this is an old (and dead) thread, however I just took off one of the long crash bar bolts and slid that in the hole. So if you're on the road and in a pinch, just back out one of these bolts and drop it in the hole.

Good luck.