TT350 Not XT350

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by zerohype, Feb 2, 2008.

1. zerohype

zerohype Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a TT350? Wanting to make it street legal and better for longer distances. Baja Designs and IMS do not make a larger tank. Does anyone know who does. This is a total loss / magneto ignition (no key and kick start only) so how would I add turn signals and brake light? Would I need a higher out stator? Anyone know who specializes in old 1980's enduro bikes close to Illinois?
    Anyway, I've searched this forum and found tons of XT350 threads. Should I just use XT350 stuff (stator, turn signals and brake light switch)?

Any and ALL advice appreciated.
    Tim
  2. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its not a total loss system (total loss means it has no charging system and the ignition would be powered by a battery).

Otherwise, I'm afraid I'm not much help.

best of luck:clap
  3. switchback

switchback Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer:
    I had a TT350 and made it street legal in a very easy state to do so. The first question I would ask is what are the min. requirements in your state?

f you want a kit call Trick Dual Sport for a version that will draw the minimum wattage. http://www.trickdualsport.com/ A kit would be similar to one for any XR.

You my be able to add a stator from an XT for more juice.

I would swap out the tail light with an LED 1157 bulb first.

The existing taillight has a third wire for a brake light that I would wire to the front brake using a hydraulic switch.

Swap the headlight for a DOT 55/60W low/high beam (if not using a kit).

If you do require blinkers get some LED versions.

TT350s are one of my favorite bikes of all time!
  4. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor, TOI T1 finisher

Oddometer:
    Clarke makes a big tank
  5. zerohype

zerohype Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. All 3 of you guys rule.
    Tim
  6. TTKlaus

TTKlaus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a TT350, wouldn't get rid of it for nothing. It's easy to make streetlegal. You would not gain enough by using the XT350 stator and flywheel. The stock stator is enough to power the stock 55W headlight and the tailight. The cheap way to do it would be to get a halogen headlight and run a 35W H4 in it. Get a rectifier put it in line and change the taillight to an LED, get LED blinkers and your home free, don't forget the horn. I used to run mine using the cheap way, but now I have a Universal Baja Designs system on it, Baja Designs also rewired my stator for higher output. Works great. I don't think Clarke has a bigger tank, I believe their's is stock size 2.6gallon. But the stock tank with a properly running bike should get you anywhere from 80 to 120 miles. I've gone 140 miles before on a tank (would not recommend it, it was scary out in the middle of nowhere and no gas station in site).

TTKlaus
  7. zerohype

zerohype Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I went to the Clarke website and they make an over sized for the XT models. Stock capacity on the TT tanks. I'm going to go the TTKlaus route with the lighting. Man this is going to be one fun bike.
    xltrider
  8. kta

kta Riding Everything Everywhere

Oddometer:
    Hey Gang!

I just joined the TT350 following. I've owned LOTS of bikes, but this one feels real solid to me. I bought it on a whim. I definitely dont' need it but only paid $100, so who cares.

[​IMG]

As you can see I am missing the kickstarter, everything else is in very good shape - obviously it has a bad rattle can job, but that's fixable.

I have recently been thinking that it would make a killer dual sport. Reading a few threads here I think has made me decide to keep it and fix it up.

Anyone happen to have a spare kickstarter shaft?
  9. zerohype

zerohype Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last weekend (Sunday 03/02/08) I made a BIG mess of mine. In a good way, off roading for an hour and a half. Cold, wet, shivering and smiling. Mine has a Supertrapp w/ jet kit. No other engine performance mods needed. It's quite fast enough. Suspension works good too! I'm really going to enjot this bike.:wink:

Tim

Attached Files:

10. Hair

Hair I am on my way.

Oddometer:
    Klaus knows his TT shit. He easily kicks our modern bike asses. That is when he is not busy adjusting his points. :lol3
  11. zerohype

zerohype Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haven't posted in a while. Got a Baja Design dual sport kit and am currently trying to title it. Using Western Surety Company as my bonding company and I still need dual sport legal tires. I'll post with any updates in the next couple of weeks for those wanting to title a TT350.

Tim
  12. zerohype

zerohype Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haven't posted in a while. Got a Baja Design dual sport kit and am currently trying to title it. Using Western Surety Company as my bonding company and I still need dual sport legal tires. I'll post with any updates in the next couple of weeks for those wanting to title a TT350.

Tim
  13. bigboy87

bigboy87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys I just joined this site and I have a 87 tt350 and a 89 tt350 parts bike... I was just saying whats up :freaky
  14. 76 bronco J

76 bronco J Adventurer

Oddometer:
    >>>>>> I've started dual sporting my 1986 TT350 & replaced the stock trip meter with a speedometer from a mid 70's DT250.......the speedo attaches to the stock cable & it was even at 30mph when tested with my friends 2005 XT225.......I imagine a speedo from any of the DT series with 21" front wheel would work & lots have the yamaha label on the gauge face for the "looks like it's suppose to be there look" which might help during inspection...... I got mine off ebay with shipping for only $16 & these old metal housing nippon seiki speedometers are built pretty durable .........

Attached Files:

15. zerohype

zerohype Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finally located a oversized tank and skid plate. Now for the speedo. Thanks bronco J.
  16. GlennF33

GlennF33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a 1986 TT350 and in those days, you could get a title with an off road bike. Today, you can do the same thing in Ohio with a "change of body affidavit". What I did, was get the XT350 brake light switches (the tail light is a dual element). Adding turn signals would also be a snap.

The TT350 was a much lighter, better suspended bike than the XT350 (which I also owned) and I wish I still had mine.
  17. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Been tidying mine up.

[​IMG]

Front suspension is next then maybe a big tank.
  18. LC8TY

LC8TY must......find........fuel

Oddometer:
    A long time ago I had a TT350 and it was a realy great bike. It was my first 4 stroke and they rolled of the showroom floor street registered in Aus.
    It was also my first adv bike too, although that term hadn't been invented then. Most of my mates had XR 600's and the TT would keep up with them pretty well except for outright speed.

It was a lot simpler back then, no GPS or fancy luggage/riding gear. Just a bag and a jerry can strapped onto the back and off you go.

Note the WD40 on the tyres to make them shine for the "glamour pic". The things you do when your young and dumb. :lol3 Don't try that at home kids.

[​IMG]
  19. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    This should give a bit more range...

81-82 XR250/500 Acerbis tank.
    [​IMG]

83 XR350 seat.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

None of the mounts line up even vaguely but it's surprisingly comfortable around the knees for such a wide tank.

It has potential :freaky
    Noely likes this.
  20. jimkat

jimkat jim

Oddometer:
    Did that set up with the XR tank and seat work out ok?
    Looks good