Your Best Moto Garage Door Opener

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by dirtysouthjacket, Feb 22, 2014.

1. dirtysouthjacket

dirtysouthjacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So what are you using to open your garage door when coming home on the bike? I'm tired of having to stop the bike, unzip a pocket and don't like having hard items in my jacket.

Unfortunately the forum search tool is not working for me the past week (maybe one of my computer settings? Keeps telling me that I have to wait 6 more seconds to search (don't worry I've waited hours)) and I didn't see anything after thumbing back through quite a few pages.

I've also never seen a friend with one, and it doesn't seem like online there is much. The little bit I saw was over a benjamin.

I know that I could take a simple car garage door remote, hide it on the bike and possibly add a switch on the handlebars. I also see small remote fobs on Ebay that could maybe be added to handlebars. I don't want to zip tie my 3 button car remote to the handlebar. :rofl

I even saw on an R6 forum where someone did a hack into the high beams to use the high beam switch. (I'm doubt if my BMW CANBUS would like this option).

ANYWAYS, let me know what you have done to your bike.

Thanks!:lol3
  2. AR4CE

AR4CE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a transponder from harley that hard-wires to the garage door opener unit, and is on the high/low beam from the bike.

I haven't pulled the module out to see what it looks like, but I can't imagine it's anything more than a 12v interrupt- so any momentary 12v switch would work. I'm going to try putting them on all my bikes and see how it goes.

If I get the project up and running, I'll post a write-up.
  3. udoggie

udoggie Top Dog

Oddometer:
    I use a Flash2Pass, and it works great. Cost around $70 USD.

-UD
  4. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a garage door opener in my jacket pocket. Press my pocket as I ride up, and pull in the garage.
    Cheap. Been working for over 20 years like that. And it works no matter which bike I take to work.
  5. brakedw

brakedw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like having a key pad outside my garage that way I do not have to carry anything on me or the bike and allows me to get in to get bicycle, lawn equipment etc. I think I spent less than $30 on it and no wiring.

I don't have to take off gloves but I recommend getting off the bike first (don't ask how I know but no damage done )
  6. _Magoo_

_Magoo_ master of disaster....

Oddometer:
    Guess I'm old school, I get off the bike & use the keypad on the outside of the door.......:lol3
  7. Fayborg

Fayborg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another :thumb for flash2pass. I even put one on my riding mower. Works great.
  8. DaviGust

DaviGust Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Key chain remote mounted inside the right hand guard with 3M dual lock. Easy to touch with my index finger as I roll up. Never had a problem with water. It's lasted two years so far.
  9. Chuck Roll

Chuck Roll Allergic to Organic

Oddometer:
  10. some call me...tim

some call me...tim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Credit to inmate klinquist for this one, I'd thought of tapping into the flash to pass button, but this seems like a much easier solution. I actually just got the parts in yesterday and plan on doing this to my own this weekend, cost about $25 total for the remote and a packet of switches.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22372411&postcount=1757
  11. chrome bandit

chrome bandit Wide footed adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. Hucker

Hucker Lost

Oddometer:
    Another for sticking the opener in my pocket (buttons out) and hitting the button thru the pocket as I drive up. Simple.

I just use a generic opener. $20 at sears when on sale.
  13. ts3doug

ts3doug Long timer

Oddometer:
    I honk the horn and Wifey opens the door
  14. Hucker

Hucker Lost

Oddometer:
    That's good training!
  15. Guano11

Guano11 Stop me if you've heard this one....

Oddometer:
    Another remote-in-sleeve pocket here.:wave I just push the button through the fabric; no need to actually take it out. In fact, I do it on the fly as I'm approaching the house -- just like Batman returning to the Bat Cave!

Only catch is that my remote has 3 buttons. To ensure I get the right one every time, I put a little rubber "foot" on it (like the ones on the bottom of an ashtray or something....) and wrapped some tape around it. That way, the button I need is more prominent than the buttons for the other door.

Added advantage is that it doesn't matter what bike I ride since I wear the same 'Stich every ride.

[​IMG]
  16. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    +1. I've used this for the past four years. Works perfectly, never any issues. Nice to flash the lights and pull in the garage without even touching feet to the ground.
  17. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    I bought a cheap universal model from ebay, 12v, I took out the battery, wired it up to the turn signal or high beam. This was ages ago.

Later when I worked at a place tht had a large remote gate I picked up the same little remote and just velcroed it to the bike.

The universal remote was maybe $5 shipped.
  18. dirtysouthjacket

dirtysouthjacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all the responses in such a short time! Lots of good ideas in here.

I like this idea, this was kind of along the lines of what I was leaning towards trying and wanted to post the question first. Very clean looking and should hold up to adventure riding (at least for a couple of years) Something similar will be my long term solution.

I would keep riding with the clicker in my pocket, but I have the same problem as Guano11 did. I have the three button garage door opener as well as it likes to be lifted up above my head. So hitting the right button and being high enough up to trigger it is pretty hit or miss. I like the idea of adding something to the correct button to make it more pronounced. Should give me more patience to hit the button a few more times until the door opens. I will probably try this until I get something hardwired on the bike.

I also didn't think about just going to a universal with one button in the pocket. That would solve the problem of trying to hit 3. However, I still don't like having a hard plastic item right next to my lower ribs/kidney in a get off.

DaviGust, I hadn't thought of in the hand guard, I was originally thinking of the handlebars, but I've done a good job of keeping them uncluttered. I might just have enough room with a key fob. Will probably try this in the short term. I need another clicker for my truck anyways.

The Flash Pass is just too much cost for me. Ifs elegant, but I'm a cheapo BMW owner.

Thanks and keep the ideas coming. Pics or it didn't happen. I'll probably purchase a key fob in a day or two off ebay.
  19. bregmanr

bregmanr n00b

Oddometer:
    It is a piece of hardware that connects to the garage door motor. Installation requires connecting an additional magnet to the door (it tells the unit if the door is open or closed) and a wifi connection to your home network router. Once installed (about 45 minutes to an hour to install) you then download a free app from GooglePlay or the AppStore and install it on your Android, iPhone or BlackBerry device.

I have multiple motorcycles so while this device is not cheap, I don't have to install multiple devices on my rides.

I also receive alarm notifications of door open status, open/close reports via text messages etc.

Nice device that I highly recommend to any rider that needs a garage door opener.
  20. roger123

roger123 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like this idea. I've been using the remote in the pocket for years with good results but this does seem trick. Add 12V to eliminate the battery and you'll be all set!