Drz400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Britmick, May 4, 2007.

1. oldenuf

oldenuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Living 60 miles from the nearest 4 lane interstate and enjoying riding at 55-60 mph, and not minding stops every hour or less, the DRZ makes a fine and dependable motorcycle.
    Works great for me and the forest service roads I like to spend hours exploring.

Art
  2. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can climb anything out on the trails in 1st gear, and hit 100mph in 5th gear with stock 15/44 gearing, it does it for sure, around here freeway speeds are 80mph and the DRZ can hang with no issues, ive done LA to santa barbara on the 126, that is nonstop 80+ all the way, passed cars, stopped for gas once, had no issues at all.

So its able for sure, call me a freak but i also find the stock seat comfy. :D
  3. focallength

focallength Certifiable

Oddometer:
    dry weight, no gas, no oil,no battery, no air in the tires...:lol3

lol last time I chacked my DRZ was 280lbs. but Ive done just about everything possible to lighten it. Thats with 2 gallons of gas and oil

cheapest way to get a lighter bike...loose weight (you fatty, not the bike) I recently went from 295 to 270...huge difference in how the big handles and reacts, now I just have to resest the suspension, because now its like riding a pogostick at times.
    I used to run stock 15/44, but I found myself riding mostly dirt, so I use 14/47. What I used to clutch in first I now ride in second without ever touching the clutch. I do ride on the street from time to time, and the freeway too. I keep it around 60mph on the freeway, itll hit 80 when I need it to, but find that gearing likes maxing out at 60-63 mph. I do get left behind when/if we have to transition to the freeway or a long stretch of slab to the next trail, but I dont mind, I get to relax a bit and I always catch up when we hit the dirt.
  4. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    The DRZ is what it is. Diminishing returns to try to make the bike more than it is. I agree that my stock gearing is middle of the road for everything. Geared a bit too high for techy hard desert riding and to low for anything over 60 mph slab speed. There is no perfect nirvana bike.

However, the DRZ is more than capable of being an adventure bike.

Wesley on his DRZ
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=934709

Kim & Seb RTW
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932067

Becky (Bekstatic) and Andrea - South America.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=904659

There are other ride reports using a DRZ. Are there better ADV bikes, for sure. Can you get basic parts most anywhere in the world for a DRZ, yes.

Choices and more choices. :deal
  5. deliberate speed

deliberate speed Long timer

Oddometer:

I've found that I get some serious head shake when I start going 70mph or more if the wind hits me right. I think it's hitting my shoulders and causing the oscillation. If I let go of one bar or consciously push forward with both hands, it subsides. Sometimes the shaking is pretty wicked/scary.

I'm pretty sure it's me not being light enough on the grips, since I can kind of make it go away, but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced anything like that.
  6. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    This is simply not the experience for most DRZ riders. I've gone to both gearing extremes and there really is no happy medium. It's either good off road or good on road but never both. Saying that the DRZ can travel comfortably at 80 is a bit optimistic in my view. I like to overtake clueless cagers with ease when I'm on the road to avoid potential hazards and I simply cannot do that on a DRZ doing 80. And the buzziness of taxing the engine for more than half an hour gets old.
  7. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    This I can definitely be on board with. A solid platform and the ability to inexpensively customize it to suit your specific needs.

Hell, people have gone around he world on scooters and sportbikes alike. Ride what you brought.
  8. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd never had that until the last time I rode home from a dirt ride. Put my weight back - helped. I was also remiss in checking the tire pressure.
  9. Thorgrim

Thorgrim Used'ta could

Oddometer:
    I get that at times when I'm in choppy air behind a couple of trucks playing tag with each other, if I grip the tank more tightly with my knees and keep a light touch on the bars it goes away quickly.
  10. nhbubba

nhbubba Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer:
    I've felt the shake if I lean forward or move forward onto the tank. In the dirt that helps. On the road, notsomuch.
    I figured it was the geometry of the bike.
  11. phoneman

phoneman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got a quick question for some of you who might have more experience with this than I do.

I may be taking my drz 400 to Colorado this summer to do a little riding. Most of the riding will be at 6-8000 ft altitude forest road type of stuff. Might make a swing up Hwy 550 from Durango to Silverton and some of that is much higher in altitude.

Will I need to rejet before I go or will my bike run ok ? Carb is stock and no 3x3 mod.

I realize it will run a little rich--just want to make it will run if I don't rejet.
  12. Creeker747

Creeker747 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 The solution is to have multiple machines in the stable.

I like the line a guy said in the movie, Why We Ride, "I like hang'n around other motorcyclists because I don't have to keep explaining why I own four bikes".
  13. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    you got more than one wrench in your tool box don't you?
  14. Psycho18th

Psycho18th Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I run my DRZ from my front door to trails all around the valley and up to the rim. Stock E 14/47 gearing. 65 is fine, 75 is easily doable, but buzzy. I don't like hitting the highway for more than 15 miles at a shot if avoidable, especially in the summer when right above the pavement, temps are around 125. I worry more about tires than engine at those temps/speeds. Luckily AZ generally requires no more than a 15 mile stretch of interstate before you can take two Lane, dirt, trail, or desert. Not sure what some consider gnarly, but I can hit ridiculous AZ singletrack on my DRZ, and very difficult jeep trail/ easier Singletrack when loaded down adventure style. It will require clutch work, and in the heat of summer, will spit some fluid into the radiator overflow catch. A hundred and some dollar seat concepts seat fixes issue number one. A 10 dollar plastic trash can and a big pair of snips will get you a very useable windscreen.

DRs are big clunky pigs compared to a DRZ off-road. If you want to do street and gravel, then get a DR. If you want to ride the dirt, get a DRZ. simple to work on, easy to own, doesn't let you down and can go anywhere. If I had money for kindling, one of those wide range gear sets would be pretty darn cool though....

Psycho
  15. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    You should be fine. If you rail the bike, it's hot and 9,000 feet then most any bike will want to squawk.
    But crossing a pass and riding to a summit and taking it easy and enjoy the views, should be good to go. I rode a friends DRZ up into 8,000 feet and then soon later I rode it all over Baja. never ever jetted the bike, oh and I was told it was stock jetting.

Disclaimer, I know nothing and likely wrong.

16. redleger

redleger Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer:

+1 X Infinity.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
  17. redleger

redleger Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer:
    I've heard a fender brace helps this.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
  18. elnonio

elnonio shedding n00bness

Oddometer:
    Yes. A suggestion is to switch to SM fenders. Next option may be to relocate closer to wheel.

But there are other possibilities. The stock rear view mirrors are huge, as aerodynamic as a barn door, and can put a fair amount of pressure on the bars. In fact, I used to think that's what the Death Wings were. I have switched to smaller ones and that has helped at speed.

Lastly, I still think that the headstock bearing status may have something to do with it.
  19. johned206

johned206 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I live at 7500 feet here in Colorado. My 2012 DRZ400S is bone stock and runs just fine from 4000 feet in the Utah desert to the passes here at home at 10,000 feet. It doesn't set the world on fire at that altitude, but it gets me where I'm going. If you're a "forest road" rider like me you'll be just fine.
  20. nmtrialsguy

nmtrialsguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:

You will inevitably go over some of the passes at 10-11, 12k ft, so re-jet