Looking for a truck...

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by adventure girl, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Wotsisname

Wotsisname Banned

Oddometer:
    Boys,boys,boys!!!!!
    She's asked for a truck & you two are having a pissing contest about what you both think you know!?!?!?!
    Get over it & go & try to impress the drunk down at the local bar!!!!!
  2. doc_ricketts

doc_ricketts Thumper jockey

Oddometer:
  3. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    I think others mentioned it, but you might want to look at vans. You can get a 2000's era Ford E150 in that price range. Bike and gear is locked and out of the weather for peace of mind.
  4. DavisWelding

DavisWelding Banned

Oddometer:

Since when has the 429/460 considered junk?! You must be high man:lol3 The only problem BBF had was valve train geometry much like BBC do. A set of roller rockers fixes that right, quick and in a hurry. A BBF is tough, always has been, always will be. The bottom end on my '86 460 is damn near are big as the PSD parts are. Almost all the BBF's had forged rods and crank. The 429 car motors with a 2bbl were cast but still very strong. '87 and up had major changes to the top end including EFI. Nothing is the same but you can swap the later top end to an early bottom end with little effort. The other change was from internally balanced to externally balanced in '87 up. The blocks are the same but do need clearance when installing an early, internally balanced rotating assembly. They are far from junk!
  5. Z_HARSH

Z_HARSH Like margarine?

Oddometer:
    ooops, forgot that part, it is just the 5.4L V8 Gas.
  6. tmz1m

tmz1m Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any interest in just selling the truck?
  7. _Harry_

_Harry_ Redneck Emeritus

Oddometer:
    For a thread started by Adventure Girl I am sorely dissapointed :nah

I thought this would be 4 solid pages of leg humping, not a discussion about the finer points of Ford engineering. So far only GS Dave has stepped up [​IMG]:rofl

:hide

:wave Becky!

I like the idea of a cheap van as well. It's kind of a pain to load in/out, but you have secure storage. It should be easy to find a good used <strike>Free Candy</strike> work van within your budget :thumb

And you had better pay us a visit on your way down :deal
  8. princess jamaica

princess jamaica OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer:
    Maybe some of you knuckleheads should join her.
  9. Hair

Hair I am on my way.

Oddometer:
    Well it's not like you are married. So maybe you need to up your game too. :evil
  10. Z_HARSH

Z_HARSH Like margarine?

Oddometer:
    I assume that is for me...

Unless I get a killer offer I can't refuse we are planning to camp and dirtbike in Utah over Thanksgiving and I probably won't want to sell it before then. I would be interested in just selling the truck but the $7500 price for the truck and camper is heavily discounted so I don't have to go through the hassle of bolting on the jacks again for the camper and hassle with selling it separately so I would probably take something in the $6500 range for just the truck, more if you wanted it before Thanksgiving and maybe a little less if you can wait until after.
  11. _CJ

_CJ Sitting on pins and needles

Oddometer:
    I think you misunderstood what I was saying, or maybe I was unclear. I agree with most of what you said, but there are a few inaccuracies. No need to muck up this thread with that stuff any further.

Relative to the OP's question, I think somebody said avoid 60's vehicles, and I'll agree with that to some extent, but more relative to brakes and other systems. While I drive a 1970 F100 almost every day, I wouldn't want to drive it much more than an hour at a time. 4-wheel manual drum brakes, points ignition, clunky old manual trans, no air, etc. etc. etc. It's essentially 1950's technology, and gets kind of tiresome to drive for much more than an hour at a time. Most trucks and vans took a huge leap forward in drivability/reliability/safety in the 70's, and pretty much carried that technology forward to the late 90's or so.
  12. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :nod

and CJ is right...old Fords are good.
    doc is not the know-it-all he professes to be on old Fords - if you do get something old, there's nothing wrong with a Y block Ford V8 or one of their straight sixes.

Wish I'd never sold my pre-Twin I-beam '60 F100 w/ 223 six and granny low 4 spd. That's a truck I'd take down to Mulege :nod
  13. DavisWelding

DavisWelding Banned

Oddometer:

No trying to be a dick or anything but what was inaccurate? I always like to learn new things:wink:

Found the perfect ADV Baja party truck for you!!:lol3 Just a little over budget though.

Custom pickup for sale or trade ?? - $25000

[​IMG]
  14. _CJ

Oddometer:
    Okay fine....let's muck it up then.

-There's nothing wrong with the valvetrain geometry in stock form, and installing roller rockers doesn't change the geometry significantly in and of itself. Stock valvetrain components can and do last the life of the engine without any adjustment or maintenance in most cases. The only "issue" is when trying to install an aftermarket hyd roller cam and lifters as the lifters are too tall and THAT creates geometry problems which impact higher rpm applications negatively.

-The only 429/460 equipped with a forged crank from the factory was the industrial 429, and not even all of them had them. All other 429/460 cranks were cast nodular iron. All factory rods are forged, but of 1053 steel, which isn't as strong as the 5140 and 4340 steel used in most aftermarket rods.

-When the 460's went EFI, there were only minor changes in manifolding, port size/shape, and valve cover configuration. Port locations, valve locations and angles were unchanged, as were the valvetrain components.

-All engines produced after 1978 are an external balance design using a smaller diameter crankshaft but the same rods and pistons as the earlier engines (with small changes in dish volume and ring size/configuration). The change to external balance was accompanied by the "new" D9TE block that has deeper cylinder bores which makes it the preferred block for use in some stroker applications.

:D
  15. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
  16. Greg@RME

Greg@RME Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. DavisWelding

DavisWelding Banned

Oddometer:

All this big block Ford talk makes me want to do a Cummins swap on my welding truck:lol3 The ONLY reason I would ever swap out the 460 for a 12v Cummins is fuel mileage. None of the 429/460 trucks, whether EFI or carb, ever got very good mileage. My carb'd '86 F-350 get about 12 on the highway at 65 or less but only gets 3-5 around town. Oh course it weighs 12k pounds!:wink:
  18. DavisWelding

DavisWelding Banned

Oddometer:
    If it were me being a vehicle to take to to Mexico I would buy something you wouldn't mind being stolen:lol3 While the majority of Mexico is safe and calm, there are parts you have to go through that are anything but. Baja Sur has had a fair amount of robbery and vehicle theft since Odile went through. Even the police in La Paz and Cabo are being arrested for illegal dealings!

Mind you, this info is from Mexican news sources, not Fox or CNN:lol3
  19. _CJ

Oddometer:
    And the inaccuracies continue.

-----------------------------------

My apologies to the OP for mucking up the thread.

Back on topic.....how about this one?

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4736840634.html

[​IMG]
  20. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    E150's came with V6, small V8 or large V8.

IME, the bigger engines get sucky mileage most of the time, while the smaller engines will get similar sucky mileage when heavily loaded.

I had an older E350 with the 460CI. Pretty bullet proof motor, but got 9-11 mpg regardless of what you were doing.