Thumper riders have I got a dual sport tire set for you...

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by markk53, Feb 13, 2008.

1. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    All I can say is do the research both here and do a Google search. From what I've found the positives outweigh the negatives, including feedback on both the Thumper Page and the klr.net forum. The numbers "say" to try them and see if they work.

The Duros, like virtually any tire, will have some people who've had bad experience. I've found complaints on the Dunlops, Maxxis, Kenda, and others plus problems with the Metzlers in the process of researching tires. When it happens the riders, except the Metzler guys, claim that tire is junk and don't buy them. The Metzler guys just seem to think it must be voodoo - when they pay that much, it can't be a tire problem.

Of course, I didn't research the Duros... I used them for about 30,000 miles running about 4000 miles a set. So I have a few sets under my bike and have gotten a number of riders on them at the shop where I worked. No complaints, except for the friend that wouldn't use them because the price was too low. My research on the Duros came after all the negative comments from a few riders.

And remember, any tire may or may not work well for you. Avon Gripsters didn't work for me, but a bunch of KLR guys love them. It's that simple.
  2. Pete in PA

Pete in PA Back to a Nighthawk!

Oddometer:
    My rear MT21 is going fast, I already had a Duro rear bought before I read this or any thread on them.

I'll report back after some miles.

BTW I have some mild chunking on the Pirelli MT21.
  3. markk53

Oddometer:
    I'll be interested, since I've been running them on a lightly modified KLX650C for the past 8 or so years. I hope they do as well for you.
  4. SteveON

SteveON Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got a set of Duro tires for my '88 NX650 and was wondering what kind of tubes you are running and where's the best place to get them? My local source supplies Chin Shin stuff which I'm not overly impressed with. I will be riding 80% onroad and 20% dirt/gravel roads.
    Thanks,
    Steve
  5. markk53

Oddometer:
    I think I'm running IRC, but don't really know. I just ran what is on the shelf at the dealership where I bought my tires. Fact is this is the second set on those tubes. I've been very fortunate, only one flat in 40,000 miles with this bike - and it went when I was home and parked.
  6. SteveON

SteveON Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply, I ordered some IRC heavy duty tubes this morning and they should be in sometme later this week. Right now my bike has a set of older IRC tires installed. I'm not sure how many miles are on them since they came on the bike. They look almost brand new but the rear tire has a couple splits near the center lugs and a leak which causes it to go flat over night. I'm guessing the rubber got too old (dried out) and the tire was run with too little air pressure. I decided to just go ahead and replace both tires with the Duros and be done with it. I doubt I will ride the bike enough to actually wear the tires out faster than the rubber will get old and deteriorate since I have 4 bikes and work 6 days a week. I need to get out and ride more!!!
  7. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recently bought a set of the Duro tires for my 2005 KLR650.I'm on a major budget also.I might add that I got 10,250 miles out of the original set of tires on this bike.They were all street miles mostly commuting.I swapped the rear tire last night and will do the front maybe next weekend.I work at a motorcycle shop (= low pay,hence the budget), and got the tires from Parts Unlimited using my employee discount, so I got good deal.I did do some research on these tires and did hear some had a chunking problem.But many owners (many on KLR650 forums) had good results. I ride pretty easy and don't load much on the bike. I also ride year round commuting rain or shine here in western Wa. State.I have to as we are down to one car for my wife and I.I reused the tube also.My commute is 15 miles round trip on a back road at 50 mph tops.I do some freeway riding at 65-75 mph also.I just did a short test ride with the Duro so its too early to tell how I'll like it.I considered the OEM tires to be quite good on the street, as I could really heel this thing over on freeway on ramps and such and that tire really inspired confidence. I'm 54 years old and the techs at the dealership I work at said they'd be glad to swap my tires on their lunch break for me, but I wanted to do it myself the old fashioned way-in my garage with three tire irons,some talcum powder and Windex-no bike lift-no air compressor-just me and the tire.Well, no broken fingers or blood, an no pinched tube!! There was a bit of swearing on occasion. Anyway, I hope to get good results with the Duros.Well see.Thanks to Mark for bringing up a possible bargain tire that many seem to be having good results with.

Why do I ride a KLR650 as a street commuter? Cause I love thumpers and always have for 45 years of riding.

See what I ride below:

Jon
  8. markk53

Oddometer:
    I love the Royal Enfield. I have an SR500 and understand... simplicity.

You must be a glutton for punishment. I'm 54 and will be off like a shot to see if I can use the tire machine at the dealership if I can. I have another buddy with a manual changer. I've done enough with irons...

I'll look for a posting of your opinion of the Duros this summer.
  9. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hello, Mark. I just wanted to see if I could still do it.A co-worker has one of the Harbor Freight tire changing machines with the motorcycle kit for it, and he offered to swap the tires on that for me.I'll tell ya what though-it just made me feel good to do it myself. I always loved the Yamaha SR500s too!And the XT500s.I've owned lots of "dual sports" over the years.This Enfield Bullet, though slow as a slug, is a hoot to ride.I'm still doing the long break in.The Bullet has a kick starter (!) and ...points!!It also has electric start, but it starts so easily that I usually just kick it.

Take care, Jon
  10. Dirtnadvil

Dirtnadvil Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have about 3000 miles on my Duros. I usually run 28 psi on the street and 18 on dirt. I use them 80% for comuting but I have also done about 500 miles of dual sport touring, fully loaded on on trip and I have also done about 3, 100mi day rides. I keep checking for the cracks and chunking, so far its good. The tire rides fairly good, but I have had a few moments where I was caught off guard when the tire broke loose while on a corner, not bad, I just wasn't expecting it to happen.
  11. markk53

Oddometer:
    Good grief, a motorcycle that can be worked on without going to MMI and buying all the special diagnostic tools! Imagine that...
  12. Lefty52

Lefty52 Cork Dork

Oddometer:
    Having read this thread from start to finish, I'd say there's apparently no shortage of passion about tires in the asylum. I'm about to travel US Rt.20 from Pittsfield Massachusetts to Salem Oregon on my 08 DR650(leaving June 2nd).
    There were a number tires I considered for the trip such as: MEFO 99's/never in stock, Kenda K671/currently out of stock and IRC GP-1. Then I started reading this thread.:eek1 I've always been a gambling kind-o-guy, and often I just like to push buttons,:patch so today I bought a set of Duro's, kind of on a dare to myself. I'll spoon them on a few days before I go to wear off the "slick" and then it's 300 miles a day for 12 days.
    I believe that tires don't continue to sell if they are :csm , after all companies ARE in business to make money. I also believe that it's easier to blame the tires than oneself, as the old adage goes, "it's a poor workman who blames his tools". So I might just be in for a great ride or a big surprise, but that pretty much sums up my life anyway. I'll keep ya posted on the trip and the Duro's.
  13. zazz

zazz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From the long silence one can only assume that everyone is happy riding their duros rather than bitching about them......?
  14. ELM0T0L0C0

ELM0T0L0C0 Less Talk More Throttle

Oddometer:
    That cracks me up. Doesn't a sportster make like 50hp. What's a 450r these days right around 50. I think the kawi is over 50.

15. Benjava

Benjava ?

Oddometer:
    You're welcome, I like making people laugh :lol3
    But seriously if you want to pick nits. I didn't say Horse power specifically did I? A heavy bike with 50 p/f of TORQUE is possibly usefull info if one is trying to evaluate a tire.:wink:

ps 1200 Sporters make about 80/80 HP & Torque with very few mods.

:1drink
  16. keny72

keny72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure seems the Duro HF903/904 have mixed feelings! I have only 500kms of experience of a front 903, and actually mounted it the worng way (according to arrow on the side), so its like the Bridgestone its a copy of. It works well so, both street as gravel, and no cuping what ever!
    I might even get a rear 904, as the Bridgestone TW302 has got a carcass damage I noticed!
  17. markk53

Oddometer:
    Oddly enough the Heidenau K60S is very similar... at only a shade over twice the price...

[​IMG] [​IMG]