The KTM 500 XC-W Thread.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Geek, Mar 16, 2012.

1. BMerrick

BMerrick Idaho Desert Rider

Oddometer:
    Abyss - I could not have said it better myself.

I made the mistake of buying an '06 Honda 450R, when I should have bought a 450X. I spent a fortune trying to make that bike fit my open desert riding style. I finally sold it and bought a bike designed for how I ride. Never again will I buy a bike and try to turn it into something it is not. I love my xc-w, and would not trade it for anything.

The only issue that I have had with mine is keeping it cool. A little over a week ago, I pulled a 10 paddle sand tire at Saint Anthony up here in ID and started overheating when the ambient temperature was above 75F. I do have to admit that I was working her out pretty hard. Once I address the cooling, I think this bike is going to be fine when the summer temperatures arrive.

My cooling mods are going to be a two stage process:

Stage 1 -
    Part 1. Replace the thermo fan switch with an NAPA Echlin model that will close the circuit to engage the fan @ 198F, and opens the circuit @ 189F.

Part 2. Wire a second pull switch (identical switch as the headlight) to the factory dash console as a fan override, drawing from the battery. The thermo-switch will still work as designed, however this will give me discretion as to extra cooling.

Stage 2 -
    I talked to the Samco rep last week, and I am getting ready to remove my thermostat all together. His suggestion was to install a KTM-47 hose kit with an FTP-4 T-hose replacement. Apparently the factory T-hose fittings are a bit restrictive.

I have all of the parts ordered for stage one, and will likely be posting pictures at some point. After some research, I am pretty sure I have identified the correct parts. When I verify that everything will work out I will post part numbers. I hate to lead people astray until I have verified everything.

Bryce
  2. ABYSS

ABYSS KTM

Oddometer:
    I would think twice about removing the thermostat, as that completey defeats the purpose of the cooling circut. I havent had any issues but if they arrise I beleive Ill just replace the radatior with a larger core one that can hold more and move & cool the fluid more efficiantly.
  3. 5hunge

5hunge Banned

Oddometer:
    I'm 99% certain that the Aussie EXC is the same bike as the Yankie XC-W with the street legal gear on it. The 500 XC-W USA is listed on my owners manual where the USA EXC is not. And that is a great thing.
  4. child

child poop is fun

Oddometer:
    I hope I don't regret saying this, but I've had no cooling issues running slow to medium speed trails in the 95 degree weather we've been having down here in Texas. Granted, I'm not WOT on dunes or anything all day, but I'm in the throttle quite a bit going slow through the woods. The fan seems to kick on when we come to a stop, it isn't running all the time.
  5. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    I've been swamped with a few other projects the last while (Sprinter build and 950 build).
    Now my XCW is back to being the number one target of my OCD.

Time to get to work on it :evil
  6. ABYSS

ABYSS KTM

Oddometer:
    I was at my dealer yesterday and he has the liturature for the 2013 lineup. the EXC and XCW's are virtually unchanged.

changes are "BOLD NEW graphics", different rims and the starter is lighter that is about it! I believe Black rims are GONE on the EXC

So you folks that want a 2013 the real only thing that is negitive "According to my Dealer" is the rims are not as good of quality. Sorry guys. But that is nothing that Woodys cant FIX :lol3
  7. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    For 2012 I thought the excel silver rims on the XCW were the better rims - so for 2013 you'd get the better rims for both bikes? :dunno
  8. ABYSS

ABYSS KTM

Oddometer:
    You are correct the AL7 Excel rims are the better rims however according to the dealer and the literature KTM is not using Excel rims in 2013 on either the exc or XCW. I found out from Woody's and verified with Excel USA directly that the Excel rims that are on the XCW are a generic Excel rim they're not the same quality as the ones you get directly from Excel. Excel said that they are not even made at the same facility. Excel has a new RIM out called the A60 it is 15% stronger than the traditional Excel Takasogo RIM but it is only available in black and has a pinstripe.

I opted to stick with their traditional Excel Takasogo RIM superlaced for my new set up.

Excell did verify that in order of strength the A60 is the strongest, the traditional Excel Takasogo is second next is the Excel on the XCW which is designated AL7 is third in the wheels on the EXC which is the weakest of the group.

Yet another reason to get a XCW over a EXC. ha sorry had to say it.
  9. 5hunge

5hunge Banned

Oddometer:
    Hmm I read the 2012 black rims were actually built by Giant, Jiangsu province, China under licence. And that KTM were moving to the Chinese Giant branded rims , for 2013 :ear
  10. ABYSS

ABYSS KTM

Oddometer:
  11. 5hunge

5hunge Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks Abyss, I cannot find the actual article about the licence agreement between Excel and Giant again although i did find this from Total Motorcycle here http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcycles/2012models/2012-KTM-500EXC.htm

"NOW WITH AN EVEN MORE SUPERIOR CHASSIS
    NEW FRAME

The completely revamped frame made from high-quality chrome-molybdenum steel is characterised by even greater lateral stiffness. Furthermore, it is even better at absorbing jolts introduced by the suspension system, whereby the simple handling and comfort of the 450 EXC have been further optimised.

NEW SWINGARM, NEW PDS, NEW SETTING

The 450 EXC's new, lighter, cast aluminium swingarm accommodates the shock absorber more centrally, in order to load the swing arms more evenly. The new, 7 mm (0.28 in) longer PDS shock absorber with adjustable rebound and high/low-speed compression damping, and a new setting is installed more flatly, so providing even more progression.

TELESCOPIC FORK, NEW SETTING

The 450 EXC is equipped with the latest WP upside-down fork with wider adjustment ranges and a new setting. The sensitive responsiveness and outstanding damping of the open-cartridge fork with 48 mm (1.89 in) outer tubes are a perfect complement for the 450 EXC's simple handling and precision.

NEW WHEELS

Practically unbeatable in terms of weight and stability, the new wheels have CNC-machined hubs, new black-anodised rims from Giant, black zinc/nickel-coated spokes and ultra-light aluminium nipples. They reduce the unsprung and gyroscopic masses, hence bolstering the simple handling of the 450 EXC."

The article is actually refering to the 2012 450 & 500, I know it says 450 EXC.
  12. 5hunge

5hunge Banned

Oddometer:
    Anyone experiencing excessive runout on thier rims? I have 0.5mm F & R
  13. helotaxi

helotaxi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You blokes are lucky in that you don't have to deal with the national implications of a bunch of shysters posing as eco-nuts in California and the scam that they have going with the California Air Resource Board. The US EXC is a result of these meddling asshats. The rest of the world only got the XC-W and none of the PITA "smog reducing" crap. All this while it's still perfectly OK to drive an outdated POS car that pollutes more in a day than all the dirtbikes will in a year...and let's not get started on the fraud of "oxygenated gas".
  14. ABYSS

ABYSS KTM

Oddometer:

Wel that just further colaborates what Excel told me. For what the sales gusy said they were nto to happy with the quality and have severed the agreement with the outside source which appears to be GIANT. I guess KTM is trying to cut out the middle man to try and save some bucks but after what I have seen and heard on the EXC's I wont be using the GIANT wheel product any time soon.

THANK YOU AGAIN WOODY!!!
  15. Big Poppa T

Big Poppa T I love it when you call me Big Poppa

Oddometer:
    Well I am finally chugging the orange koolaid. I wasn't planning on getting this bike for awhile. I sold two bikes (2009 Honda crf450r and 2010 wr250x) and was waiting until after my wife's surgery and my son moving to Hawaii to pull the trigger which would be closer to July. Well the crazy thing is my loving and extremely generous sister decided she wanted to give me an early bday present and to my surprise we walked into the dealership today and this became an unforgettable moment!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And it's already been tagged and legal!
  16. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any pics of a 500 with the bigger aftermarket tanks?

I've seen the "KTM" tank in person (13L?) and like it.. but I've been putting off purchasing it waiting to see how the larger options look (i.e. how big an impact on the bike's width).

Does anyone have a tank larger than 13L yet on their bike? :lurk
  17. toddler

toddler Unpronouncible

Oddometer:
    Pinewood Springs, CO(between Lyons and Estes Park)
    I have one of the 5.3g on order from justgastanks, but they are not supposed to be in til mid-june now. I may let you see it:rofl
  18. toddler

toddler Unpronouncible

Oddometer:
    Pinewood Springs, CO(between Lyons and Estes Park)
    That is one cool sister my long lost brother. Let sis know I could use a 690, it has been awhile since we talked:rofl
  19. KevXR

KevXR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sadly those in california don't have the EXC vs XCW choice for a plate bike.
  20. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Tried my 500 on the hitch carrier today for the first time (usually it would go inside the van).
    I finally figured out the right angle for the straps and such so that there is no rubbing on the plastics :thumb

I don't for-see the bike spending much time in this position.. but it's nice to have it figured out before hand for when I want to throw it on and head out spontaneously to moab or the like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The overhead camera works well to keep an eye on things

[​IMG]