Wrapping Wiring Harness

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by indr, Apr 24, 2013.

1. indr

indr .

Oddometer:
  2. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    why not some of that spilt loom stuff (I know, I don't like the look either) or the woven plastic chinese finger puzzle stuff?

there is self-vulcanizing tape available . . . . . I've used it, and it sticks to itself wondefully, but I'm not patient enough to wrap and entire harness.
  3. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    It would depend on what I'm doing....

Liquid rubber electrical tape
    Convolex tubing or it's sister with the continuous cut
    Vulcanized tape
    Electric tape
    Heat shrink tubing
    If you want a more bling look but cheap buy some steel braided line from a plumbing store and pull it over your existing cable. You can then use clear shrink tubing to protect anything that it may touch to prevent chafing.

And sometimes I've used all together....
  4. the_gr8t_waldo

the_gr8t_waldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    i use vinyl tape...mostly because i get it for free. but if i were buying something, it would be CHEAP black vinyl tape. when wrapping the bundle all you really want is a single layer to hold the bundle together. and where the bundle is tie wraped to a hard point, a few additional wraps will cushion the wiring. at some point we all go back into that bundle for modifications.... it can be easyly be unwraped or if you'd rather, be slit opened.
  5. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Techflex braided material. Most marine rigging shops carry it.
  6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    That is the best, but shrink wrap the ends, unlike what I did, to keep it from unraveling.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Split loom works, but is very bulky. Not to good for tight areas.

PS Rescue tape is good for one time use, but has to be cut off. It is waterproof though. NEVER use tape that has adhesive. Next time in you will cuss yourself for the stickey mess it leaves.:deal

Jim :brow
  7. wos

wos Long timer

Oddometer:
    We use self vulcanizing tape (non civy) version of rescue tape on the CF18. probably originally cheaper than rescue tape but triple that after the contractor has his way with us. We use a teflon wrap to isolate the wires from the tape, lets things move a little and maintain a little more flexibility, important when you have several hundred 22 ga wires in a bundle.
  8. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are different grades of tech flex. Some you have to cut with a hot blade, and others you can just cut with scissors, and it won't unravel.

I'll be experimenting with this product and Rigid LED lights in the near future. :evil
  9. mwood7800

mwood7800 Banned

Oddometer:
    No way on the cheap elect tape. With that you will have a gooey mess. Why not cloth elect tape? BMW used it for years. Still looks good on my 40 yr old r bike and its original.
  10. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    Use wiring harness tape. It's stretchy black plastic tape with no adhesive. Tie one end to a couple of wires in the bundle and start taping. When the other end is reached, tie it off same as the start. The best way to tape is to construct the harness on the bike holding it together with one wrap of cloth tape at each take off point, then remove the harness and plastic tape it on the bench.
  11. vanaman

vanaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ive been buying the cloth harness tape, off ebay. According to the seller its the oem tape for alot of euro cars and it seems similar to my vw wiring.
  12. 74C5

74C5 Long timer

Oddometer:

3M 69. Fiberglass acrylic adhesive. White though.

Put it on an engineering drawing and people look at you kind of oddly.:rofl

Then call it out in a note that, when interpreted, says "69 here".
  13. aussie_king_mick

aussie_king_mick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Jim…please give us your feedback on the FUZEBLOCK unit…I have seen them and they look good…what can you tell us after installing and using it??? Thanks regards Mick
  14. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    ^^^ this. There was someone here that was doing a group buy a few years ago and I bought a few rolls and couldn't be happier. Truly looks factory.
  15. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    This is my second one, and the 10-12th one I have installed. I like the size, the built in relay that simplifies wiring and that you can have either switched or non-switched circuits. Pretty decent quality, and great customer service!

Jim :brow
  16. HighFructose

HighFructose Banned

Oddometer:
    i used scotch super 33 electrical tape when i soldered all the connections in a 97 vfr wiring harness. love the stuff, its thin and wraps well
  17. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
  18. zoltan

zoltan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 This is not the gooey type tape, and does not leave any residue, even when exposed to the elements. easy to find and relatively cheap.
  19. The Shifty Jesus

The Shifty Jesus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use PVC tubing to run harnesses through, similar to this: http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70137824

It can be a pain to get bundles of wire through long lengths of it, but a little talcum powder helps it all slip through.

I like it because it's seamless and continuous, and I just finish the ends with a section of adhesive lined heat shrink and/or a tiny ziptie.

Really only worth it if you use it a lot and don't mind buying decent lengths in multiple diameters.
  20. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Hockey stick-baseball bat tape.

Doesn't get goo-ee like elec. tape does when warm.

I put it OVER split loom in places.