Crystal Crane/Steens Trip September 13-15

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by linkweewee, Aug 29, 2014.

1. tblume

tblume Always Be Gambling

Oddometer:
    :thumb

thanks guys!
  2. sprocket3

sprocket3 Long timer

Oddometer:

They don't seem to want people off main roads or out of the typical tourist areas. I called them once about a road in the Pueblo Mtns and they discouraged me from even going into that area. Stuff like "it's a critical area" "proposed wilderness" and so forth. Of course the rancher is up there on a side x side or chevy truck checking on his 200 head of cattle that graze the meadows.

They are paying contractors to remove the Juniper trees that have taken over critical habitat since fires are so well suppressed now.

It's a mess.
  3. peterman

peterman cop magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    a full mature juniper can suck up 500 gallons of water in no time,:huh,,look at all those thousands of gallons not making it into the ground.:deal
    It works too,,the Chewacan river is up since they cut there many years ago.
  4. linkweewee

linkweewee momento mori

Oddometer:
    Are fires allowed in the fire pits at CCHS right now?
  5. Squishy

Squishy Elastically-kinematic.

Oddometer:
    Don't know, give them a call.
    I don't even remember if we had a pit at our site.
    [​IMG]

Maybe these sites up on the bank have them...can't quite tell in this picture. I think they are fire pits.
    [​IMG]
  6. peterman

Oddometer:
    Gonna sit on my ass and turn 65 on Sundy, and I don't wanna spend the day riding home with a hangover,,other earth shattering news may be in play,,no shit!:huh
  7. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    :stupid I'm with the old wise guy...
    Except the earth shattering anything or turning older just yet...
  8. linkweewee

linkweewee momento mori

Oddometer:
    I hope Harbicks is serving chicken on a stick in about an hour... :ricky
  9. doggitter

doggitter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have fun guys.
  10. tblume

Oddometer:
    Bacon, french toast with rustic bread fried in bacon grease, OJ, coffee, dip in the hot pool, going out on the loop....

Winning Saturday.:D
  11. Squishy

Oddometer:
    Excellent !!!
  12. peterman

Oddometer:
    Jeez,,not rilly,,come on!:huh
    I got a call from crystal crane,,she said there were missing riders,,please hold til I contact "the other rider". off on the old cart she went!,,,the scent of turkey bacon comes thru the phone,,I freak out and hang up right away!
    So Linkweewee calls back a few minuets later and says he is there, showed up a while ago,Crystal is giving him a backrub,,(wink, wink),and TBlume and NoPoChicken camp is set up,,but they are not there.
    Linkweewee is concerned as it is getting dark over there,,(not here tho,,right?),,anyhow,,if they stopped in Fields for a bite, or had a mechanical, tire, or gasoline problem,,I told him there is nothing he,,or we,, can do at this point. I suggested he wait for another hour,,and see if they show up,,If I do NOT get a call in the next hour or so, then things are okey dokey,,,what happens if I DO get a call in the next hour remains unclear to me at this juncture.
    Don'tcha love it when there is no plan,,and it still doesn't come together!?:lol3
    no notes left about directional intention,,no signs posted,,I figger they ran across the MonkeyClan out in the playa somewhere, and Linkweewee missed it cuz he showed up late to the party.

Anyway,, by now, the 2 cosmic bursts from the recent solar flares should be hitting them all full force,, so we may never see or hear from any of them ever again!
    Just thought I'd share,,,:1drink
  13. oldmonkeybut

oldmonkeybut Flatulent Supporter

Oddometer:
    Monkeyclan is NOT on or near any Playa. Had a good trip which included revisions beginning at "a" all the way up to either "f" or "g". Saw a lot of great country. Paddled some great water. Experienced great customer service from Cascadia Vehicle Tents. One trip to the E.R. Fantastic camp sites. Minor hair loss due to propane explosion and resulting giant fireball. Rolled into the ranch tonight worn out, torn up and cooked. All is good!!
  14. peterman

Oddometer:
    I just called Crystal and told her how hot she looks wearing that shirt,,she didn't know that I can see thru the telephone wires,,anyway,,the kids are back at camp,,safe and sound and on the ground,,,

Link needs to get out and ride more,,,,,worry less!
    Saw the old airhead R60 and sidehack get loaded into the neece Molly toyhauler today,,gone to a good new home!:clap
    Them fuggers are HEAVY!:huh

FUCK DAGWOOD!
  15. doggitter

doggitter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think Tim and Krista enjoy riding too much to be bothered with a schedule. I had to leave them coming back from Dug Bar when my time ran short and they could still ride with the breezes.
  16. tblume

Oddometer:
    [urlhtttp://tblume.smugmug.com/Dumpingground-1/pending-sort/27862810_nThG7s#!i=3536130872&k=XhNVmg7&lb=1&s=A][​IMG][/url]

Whoa whoa whoa...

Steve was in some time warp or something, he's now a photographic hologram in the 8th dimension..

Or something...

105 mph on the playa.
  17. Squishy

Oddometer:
    105, very cool! But you know a girl :huh:D got to 512 mph there in 1976! :deal :lol3 ...she probably didn'[t drink as much the previous night though!

Good effort guys, more photos. :lurk
  18. linkweewee

linkweewee momento mori

Oddometer:
    Nice 800 mile ride. No fires allowed anywhere out east but Crystal Crane was great as usual. We had fun.

Me and the new land speed record-setting Triumph Tiger yesterday on the Alvord Desert playa.

[​IMG]

Was a little smokey but not bad.

[​IMG]

The Steens area is da bomb.

[​IMG]

Pin that throttle for about as long as you want to.

[​IMG]

Notice the carefully balanced bbq sauce Miguel.

[​IMG]

Tim and Krista right after the record-setting run trying to digest what they just witnessed.

[​IMG]
  19. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Nice pictures. Looks like fun out there. Got my Alvord on earlier this year, but missed out on the Steens. Maybe next year. Did you ride the Steens loop?
  20. Miguel Sanchez

Miguel Sanchez VD #110 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice work! Good to see you are learning to eat without wearing your food.

What was the Tiger top speed?

Sent from my fart smone using crapatalk