Houston Area Riders

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by fnjeep314, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Grits&Gravy

Grits&Gravy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats! That's a nice ride you have there. Let the farkling begin....
  2. Whec716

Whec716 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where is Spring do you ride?
  3. urbanXJ

urbanXJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    tickets for Turn 15

staying at Homewood Suites
  4. EnduroRdr

EnduroRdr Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer:
    Formerly BR-LA, LR-AR, Houston-Tx, now SouthMS
    Some good tutorials here:

http://ridedualsport.com/forum/index.php?board=76.0
  5. stuntheavy

stuntheavy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys I'll give it another shot. I'm trying to convert the TAT maps into tracks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  6. EnduroRdr

EnduroRdr Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer:
    Formerly BR-LA, LR-AR, Houston-Tx, now SouthMS
    Here's some basics to remember (but you probably know some of this already).

At track is a set of points that lays out on the map like breadcrumbs. It doesn't change it is just there to show the path.

A route is where your gps tells you which way to go. If you use "Auto Routing" it is dynamic and will change as you travel - in other words it updates if you miss a turn etc.

If you have maps loaded you will find that routing on a TOPO map is point to point. So if you say I want to go from this point to that point it will draw a direct line to it (handhelds with TOPO maps assume you can cross the land and dont have to follow a road).

If you are routing with road maps like - NA 2013 aka North America Streets 2013 (or older versions) now it will route using a road "NOT A DIRECT LINE GOING POINT TO POINT" like in TOPO maps.

In either case, a track will still be a set of bread crumbs showing a path along the map (TOPO or Streets). This is why a lot of riders prefer to have tracks to follow.

I tried out Base Camp, but after having used both I prefer Map Source. I also have TOPO and Streets loaded on the PC so I can load either one.

Most times going on D/S rides I just use the Streets in my Garmin 60csx. I have found that even the smallest roads (some that dont qualify as a road) usually show up in the Streets maps.

I also like to have both tracks and routes. It takes a lot of time of you are trying to create both. The routes are easier and faster to make but once in a while they will send you way off track. Every once in a while I find that it doesn't realize that you can connect two roads together so it will send you miles out of the way to connect the next wayoint.

I have been using my Garmin for about 5 years now and I still get hung up once in a while - like last week in Arkansas I forgot that my 60csx only allows 500 points in a saved track. I loaded some tracks given to me and forgot to consolidate the tracks before downloading to handheld - well my hand held just stopped the track once it got to 500 so on the map while riding the track just ended prematurely. If i had used the consolidation trick before downloading it would not have happened. (in map source, if you right click and check the properties of a track, you can select the limit to maximum # like in my case 500) and it will automatically cut out all the redundant points (like 20 points in a straight line) but leave more points where there are lots of turns. You see the PC doesn't care how many points are in your track it is a limit of the handheld and mine "the 60csx" limits to 500 for saved tracks. I can log many more tracks on my 60CSX and up load them to PC - I have one track from last week where my gps logged over 4000 points - it is just the "saved track" files within the gps. I know this gets complicated. And this post is getting long winded! So if your buddy that has another brand gps that allows him to "Save" tracks larger than your gps will allow you to save - you will have to remember to consolidate your tracks to the number YOUR gps is limited to. I dont know what the Montana limits are but I suspect you can save tracks larger than 500 points. The 60csx is a great unit but it is dated and was originally intended "as a handheld" for hikers in mind so that 500 limit was one of the things that needed to be improved once it got popular with the wheeled crowds.

The best advice I can give is - DO THE TUTORIALS! And ride with other guys and ask questions. Sooner or later you're going to ride with someone that is savvy and will clear things up.
  7. Whec716

Whec716 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any of you fine Houston riders have a TE 610?
  8. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:

I have a 2000 TE610e and a 99 ( I think, it's a work in progress ) TE610.
  9. Whec716

Whec716 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    pm sent
  10. Grits&Gravy

Oddometer:
    Took a ride this morning.... Left the house around 6:30am and went to Bob's Tacos in Rosenberg :dg From here I went to Newgulf and took some pics of the old smoke stacks where the Boling sulphur mine was.

[​IMG]
  11. Bender

Bender I can pass this guy..

Oddometer:
    Tell me more about this place??
  12. Grits&Gravy

Oddometer:
    Just google Newgulf sulphur mine or Newgulf, TX you will find plenty....

It is private property, but the guy that was working at the power generation plant saw me and came over and spoke for a few minutes. He told me that they might lock the gates and I could get locked in, and was just basically being nice and telling me that I didn't need to go any further onto the property or ride any further down the road. I was only 100 yds inside the gate and the gate didn't have any "private property" or "keep out" signs. Of course, it would be fun to plunder around there some more, but the pic of the stacks is enough for now.
  13. Grits&Gravy

Oddometer:
    I left Katy at 6:30 this morning and went back to Bob's Taco's in Rosenberg for breakfast again. Must be a reason for that..... Anyhow, the other weekend I was headed for Galveston, but changed plans so this morning I went back to my original plan and made it to Freeport and Surfside Beach.

[​IMG]
  14. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    I tend to leave LJ on days like this, it gets so busy with beach traffic. I almost went the other way today to Rosenberg and then Brenham!
  15. Grits&Gravy

Oddometer:
    I took backroads with very minimal hwy zigging and zagging my way down. There wasn't any traffic at all for me.

I usually spend a little time mapping a route before I go riding anywhere and if anyone rides with me they are always surprised or asking me how I know these roads..... I just put a little effort into my route planning so that I get away from the main roads and the traffic.

It was a good day and another ride to somewhere I've never been before.
  16. kalonji

kalonji nihilism or nothing

Oddometer:
    Hey guys I'm looking for a little help I'm interested in purchasing a bike sight unseen and have it shipped or do a fly and ride if I can get time away. The bike is located in Rosenberg, Texas. Is anyone available to check the bike out for a fellow inmate?

This thread might be dead but it's worth a try.
  17. fritzcoinc

Oddometer:
    I might be able to help.
    When is the bike available to look at?
  18. kalonji

kalonji nihilism or nothing

Oddometer:
    I've got another inmate that has offered up his services via pm. If he falls through I'll be in touch with you. Thanks, we've got a great community here.
  19. motherduce

motherduce Duce

Oddometer:
    Howdy.

Just picked up a 2013 700GS from a friend of mine. Rode it home from Pittsburgh to Houston. Need to write up my ride report because I found some great roads.

Anyhow, I'm looking for good BMW or dual sport service shops in the Houston area. I'm a noob to dual sport and hoping to learn rather than just dropping it off.

Also, greetings to fellow locals. Hope to meet up with y'all soon for a ride.

Any of you riding the Roll the Bones Rally?
  20. fritzcoinc

Oddometer:
    MPH Automotive
    16510 Park Row
    Houston, TX 77084

281-647-6557

Mike runs the place. He is a Guzzi dealer and services BMW.
    Ask for Larry in service.