Tiger Tumble

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by irvine_87, Aug 13, 2012.

1. irvine_87

irvine_87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    'It's not IF you'll come off, its WHEN' was what my brother first told me when I started riding in January.

and, well that time finally came last week, gutted :doh

I was only about 10 miles down the road from the Dealership where I had just collected the motorcycle (Triumph Tiger 800xc), approaching a roundabout (inside lane as I was going right round). Leaned a wee bit into the corner, a wee bit more... Watched, in what felt like slow motion the front end tuck away from me... resulting in me hitting the deck like a sack of tatties (Potatoes) :p3rry

Bike : This was the exhaust side that went down and only damage (to my amazement) was minor scratches to the underside of the right rider and pillion foot pegs, rear brake foot lever, mirror and hand guard. Nothing else got touched! :happay

Me : Right ankle stretched ligements, serious case of broken pride and confidence :(:

The Conclusion: Its my 1st 'Adventure' style and only 2nd motorcycle (Previous Ducati Monster 796) and they are very different of course. I believe my lean angle was ever so slightly too much for the skinnier front tyre ... (Rider error :shog )... But lets just say there was some diesel spillage as well, why not ha.

Anyway, been back out on the Tiger and no love lost. Confidence returning slowly :clap
  2. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brand new tires need to be broken in Bro!
  3. irvine_87

irvine_87 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Lol, I know, was being nice and careful/taking my time and what not. Just caught with 'my pants down' so to speak with the smallish/tight round about.

Still, I'm pretty sure I recall some diesel in my path, maybe even a banana peel too?? :D
  4. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    pics or it didn't happen.
  5. irvine_87

irvine_87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As requested (1st drop of many, when it comes to the dirt time :huh)

Happily no noticeable damage (just meh about the circumstances of the drop and the fact that I know the tiny marks are there lol)

The Motorcycle:
    [​IMG]

Pillion Foot Peg:
    [​IMG]

Rider Foot Peg:
    [​IMG]

Hand Guard + Mirror:
    [​IMG]
  6. TwoWheelExplorer

TwoWheelExplorer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, now your Tiger has both character and conversation starters, and you're more aware of the hazards of new tires. May the next 100k miles be drop-free! :freaky
  7. rjsurfer

rjsurfer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What gear were you wearing?

I'm thinking you were prepared because the injuries seem minor (I hope).

Ron W.
  8. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I drag knee's on my 950 adventure done it with the stock pirelli's and the conti trail attacks... It's not as forgiving as sport bike tires, but if you keep the throttle on it'll do it all day long.

Sounds like you where off the gas. It's almost impossible to loose the front on the throttle (remember I said almost).

And ya had new tires with who knows what spilled on them at the dealer, on a road that could have had shit in it. Don't blame the wheel size.
  9. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It aint the tires.
  10. harley1550

harley1550 Touring Rider

Oddometer:
    Glad you are okay, irvine. Now you know, it happens! :1drink Those small character marks will soon be mostly forgotten. That's a good looking bike by the way. Enjoy, and be safe.
  11. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    balls on the tank. i assure you that it takes a hell of a lot of lean angle to run out of tire, even on a ds. i've made sport bikes pull over & wave me by in the corners...

glad you made it ok, get back on and work up gradually. it's no ducati.
  12. blackx70

blackx70 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You all drive on the wrong side of the road. :roflGlad you were relatively unscathed.
  13. irvine_87

irvine_87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After putting a good few more hundred miles and getting more acqainted with it I think that is what it was, came off the throttle. Low gear, hi revs, off throttle = not a bright idea :doh.

Ankle feeling a lot better, confidence back and having a blast :ricky. Myself and 'Kitty' have forgiven, forgoten and moved on ha. Scratches as u guys said are are just part of the character, and I'm sure plenty more are to come with the journeys that lie ahead, but will easily be hidden with the mud (Loving the off track the now)

Just to be on the safe side first and foremost I got crash bars fitted (and far to many other gadgets)... now all I need is to fit some stabilisers :D
  14. DOGSROOT

DOGSROOT OUTSIDE

Oddometer:

Thought you buggers went left round?

:amazon

Anyways, glad you came out of it fine irvine, and that you learned something, and shared it w/ the rest of us.

Stick to the right side of the road from now on and all will be well. :1drink

As for the wee bit of damage done...do ye not have bedliner in Scotland?

:hide
  15. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    my Steamer has so many scratches that Ive lost track. All dirt naps. ride off road and its bound to happen. good luck!:freaky
  16. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    You make it sound like you just started riding...and you choose an 800CC bike to start on?!:eek1

A Guy I work with just started on a 1200 (I'll leave the make out of it) and already feels confident enough to go without his helmet and even take his kid along for the ride.:cry (Natural selection in action that can take out the bloodline entirely!)

I'll never understand this penis compensating need for a 2 wheeled strap-on.:evil

Glad you're ok and I hope you at least learned something from the experience.:freaky
  17. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    Many guys and gals don't even bother with the 1200's, and go bigger, with the expected results.
    The guy you work with already HAS kids though....

New bike time is time to be careful till you learn the bike, new tires, new throttle response, different weight bias, I always take it easy for a while on anything new.

18. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    Hence = he can end the entire bloodline when he F's up with his young Son on the back.
  19. DireWolf

DireWolf Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer:
    My first bike was a V-Max.

What's you're point?
  20. Bollocks

Bollocks Farts with an Accentâ„¢

Oddometer:
    I'm going to say the tires were not scrubbed in, I got to ride the 800 this past summer and the thing will lean.
    It felt like a bicycle compared to the 1050 and I did scrape the pegs on multiple occasions. :evil