Looking for a carry on bag

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Apxgrndr, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Apxgrndr

Apxgrndr In the snow

Oddometer:
    I'm sick of using my old MEC backpack as a carry on, time to upgrade to something a little....shinier.

Thinking of this:
    http://www.filson.com/products/sportsman-s-bag.70266.html

the saddleback leather stuff looks pretty good but a little too pricey IMO.

Any of YFFs have something in carry on size requirements that you would recommend?
  2. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    $300 for a tiny bag? :bluduh

I have a German military backpack I've been using for 18 years that cost maybe $30. :deal
    Lotsa cool buckles and straps!
  3. dbg326

dbg326 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use my Chrome messenger bag.. A bit uncomfortable after a while if it's loaded down heavily, but with a light-to-medium load, I find it pretty comfortable. Same bag I use for class, as well as on the bike.
  4. cab591

cab591 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :huh

Looks nice, but it's also expensive. I was always taught to travel "under the radar", so to speak. That bag practically screams "steal me, I have expensive things". I guess it depends on where you travel, though.

I usually just use a cheap, small duffle. If it starts to tear or break, I can replace it cheap. Right now, I've got one of these. Small LLBean duffle bag, bright f**king yellow. Fully packed, I've carried: snowboarding jacket / pants / gloves / hat / goggles, 4 pairs of jeans, 10 T-shirts, 2 long sleeve button downs, toiletries, a 15" laptop (with charger), and a GoPro (with a few of the mounts). It's all about how you pack it. On top of looking fairly unassuming (and, I'm usually not well dressed either), it's also bright f**king yellow. Which is good, because you really can't loose sight of your bag.

To each their own, I guess. If you feel like spending $300 on a quality bag, go for it. Looks decent, no idea how much it holds though.
  5. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:
    The Filson bag is bomb proof you can't go wrong there with the exception of the spendy factor. You may also want to check Duluth Pack company and J W Hume (they make the Orvis canvas/leather luggage) they make awesome stuff as well. I have a Duluth Pack brief case that's close to 10 years old and aside from some scuffs and fading it's in fine shape.
  6. SR1

SR1 We gotta get outta this place!

Oddometer:
  7. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    I have a Swiss Gear back pack. Good zippers, well thought out in terms of pockets and strong. Has a padded spot for lap top, little pocket for an e-reader, another for your passport. It's big enough for a few days of clothes.

I think they label it as a computer back pack. I think amazon has them for around $60-70.
  8. Apxgrndr

Apxgrndr In the snow

Oddometer:
    I know, they're a lot of money, but made in the US? And I've heard they're warranty is great.
    I will have a look at that messenger bag also, looks pretty nice.
  9. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    "Might as well have the best". :nod

Everything I have got from Filson has been fantastic. They are expensive but their stuff lasts forever. I have never regretted anything of theirs that I have purchased.
  10. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    Do you normally fly First/Business Class or in some preferred seating group? or are you a typical buy the cheapest coach ticket you can find?

If you're in the latter group, odds are you'll be boarding the plane last and 75% of the time there's no more room in the overhead and you'll have to gate check your $300 bag, where some monkey is going to be drop kicking it into the plane.

Checked luggage turns to shit quick and for that reason alone I don't shell out big bucks on luggage. My "Carry-On" is a Samsonite I picked up at Marshalls for like $80. If you're a bargain shopper there's quality stuff out there for not a lot of coin.
  11. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've started planning on that. :lol3 I have the biggest possible softside expandable carry on and jam the fucker full. Invariably the gate agent asks if I'd like to check it and I say, sure!

All the shit I really want with me is in a small messenger bag. Screw you, Delta, I will not pay $50 to check a bag.
  12. lumpyrutherford

lumpyrutherford Banned

Oddometer:
  13. gremor

gremor RS'er

Oddometer:
    One word

MAXPEDITION

:clap
  14. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
  15. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:

:clapThats right.
  16. BigIron

BigIron Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer:
    +1
  17. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    I get upgraded lots and and am preferred with most airlines, so I always carry-on and never check (I'm at an airport now).

If you're lugging weight, wheels are best and backpacks second best. Tumi is the way to go for either.

If you pack light and don't have to haul a laptop, the op's bag looks killer. I'd do it.

And guys, don't look like an amateur when you travel. Pjs, sweats, cloth bags, Nike bags, flip flops, winter coats, scarves, shorts and smelly sandwiches, et al mark you for the fool you are and you'll be treated accordingly.

And lose some weight, for Christ sake, if you're in a middle seat.

And blow your fucking nose!! I don't wanna listen to you sniff for 5 hours.

Oh, and Bose noise canceling headphones are wonderful.

Argh.
  18. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    how much do you travel?

i switched from bose noise cancelling headphones to sennheiser, as the sennheiser works in passive mode when the batteries die. i then switched to shure noise blocking headphones, as they don't require batteries, and block out screaming babies much better. :D

i also don't do roll-aboards anymore- hand carry from bike to plane for me:
    http://www.aerostich.com/medium-motofizz-camping-seat-bag.html
  19. falconati

falconati baller

Oddometer:
    +++++++++

Please, for the love of christ just be small if you're going to take a middle seat. If you're large, buy a better ticket.

Back on topic....I just use a Ducati-branded Puma messenger bag, though I've been looking at what bags Prada/Cartier offer. There's not a lot out there if you're used to a larger bag and want something very nice and high-quality leather. If you're looking for just something there are tons of options. Really anything will do, but Tumi makes nice quality stuff (so does Samsonite, though many items have gone down in quality recently).

PS posting from first class on a plane right now using Bose QC15s :evil
  20. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    I'm suffering in 2a right now. Couldn't get an aisle. Though, it's nice to not be jostled by shopping bags, carried by the unwashed, being loaded into the back.:wink: