Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2014, 03:45 AM   #1
1- Hansi OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Pissed Export from USA to Europe

Fr. num: WB10439A54ZF50068
October 2013, i bought a BMW R1150R - 2004, in Los Angeles. Traveled for 8 months - 23 states + Canada. Took the bike with me home to Norway, and the trouble began. Because of some COC rules, it look like it is impossible / difficult to get Norwegian plates on the bike.
1. Do anyone on this site know where / how to get COC certificate on a BMW R1150R - in Germany ( TUV ) ?
2. Can I drive in European Countries with USA plates ?
1- Hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:34 AM   #2
trefall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Coc

Many on here know more than I do BUT, I'm sure you can ride in Europe with US plates. I doubt the various countries check to see if you have a US passport with a US bike. Best of luck on the problem.
trefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #3
Hollyr
Vesterislendingur

Oddometer: 696
That would be fine for photo radar, but it you are stopped it isn't going to fly. Lots of US and Canadian citizens use N. American plated bikes in Europe. Rather than paying to ship the bike back, we often sell it to another N. American who wants to ride in Europe. Stefan Knopf knows all the rules from years of dealing with these situations. http://knopftours.com/
Talk to him.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:58 AM   #4
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,795
what is their reasoning for not allowing you to register YOUR motorcycle in YOUR country?sounds like they want money

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #5
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1- Hansi View Post
Fr. num: WB10439A54ZF50068
October 2013, i bought a BMW R1150R - 2004, in Los Angeles. Traveled for 8 months - 23 states + Canada. Took the bike with me home to Norway, and the trouble began. Because of some COC rules, it look like it is impossible / difficult to get Norwegian plates on the bike.
1. Do anyone on this site know where / how to get COC certificate on a BMW R1150R - in Germany ( TUV ) ?
2. Can I drive in European Countries with USA plates ?
You speak about "export". When it IS export, then you have succesfully dis-registered your bike in the US and entered it into an EU State as import. Are you European or US citizen?
Since if you are US cititzen riding around in Europe, technically it is not export and you would not have any documents probably stating that this is an export. If you are f.e. German, and you would have really EXPORTED the bike from the US, then the basic principle is, that you CAN NOT drive with US plates around here, for obvious reasons, of course fiscal ones (you did not pay taxes in the receiving State?) but also because your bike then would not be registered anywhere. What in case of accidents, speeding tickets, etc etc etc ?
That said, there is a EU regulation somewhere, that under specific circumstances you may drive with a special "transit" license/plates so you do not have to import (=pay taxes etc etc) I believe you can do that for 6 months. But then, after those 6 months, you would either have to import then, or have it sold within.
If you are a German and ride into Germany with US Plates, EU Law allows for Germany to have that seen as IMPORT at once, and you may even have to pay whilst staying at the border with the customs. That can be VERY pricey and if you can not pay cash, they will confiscate your bike. So it really depends on a lot of things, what your nationality is, where you are listed as a civilian, etc etc.
I was visiting my young friend last night when I asked if I could borrow a newspaper. “This is the 21st century, old man,” he said. “We don’t waste money on newspapers. Here, you can borrow my iPad.” I can tell you, that fly never knew what hit it...
Simplyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:51 PM   #6
Mark.F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
I don't about Norway but in the UK you can definitely register a bike that was previously owned in the states so I don't know why it's impossible in Norway.
Can you register a bike from a EU country? If so maybe you could get it registered in the UK then import it to Norway?
Mark.F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:34 PM   #7
gunnirider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
us bike in europe

i bought my bike, '96 GS, from another American. it's titled and registered in Colorado with CO plates on the bike. i've been riding it for 6 years now all over the EU and Switzerland. been stopped a few times and even got a ticket in France(passing on a solid white line.....who doesn't?). all they ever want to see is your "green card" insurance for the Schengen states. i buy mine from Stefan Knopf....same guy mentioned above. i keep the bike in France now since that's where i live in the winter since retirement. i keep up to date plates and registration in CO and ride with the CO plates. i just scan all my updated documents to Stefan each year and he sends my insurance to my address in France. good luck
Old 08-25-2014, 06:56 PM   #8
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,871
Not concerning "Access issues, Action Alerts, and Conservation Measures", moved to Regionals - Europe.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:57 AM   #9
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,192
+1 on the insurance thing.

My old UK plated VF was a Yank import (back when Greenham Common was a USAF base).

As far as I'm aware you can drive a non EU plated vehicle for 6 months, as a resident, before having to register it. Just make sure you're insured....

As for the CoC, I suspect that it's because BMW set their US bound bike emissions up differently (the standards over there aren't quite as strict). Have you contacted BMW to see if they can help? That'd be my first email.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:28 AM   #10
phil2104
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...s/index_en.htm

but Norway no UE
phil2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:00 AM   #11
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
The simplest solution - and cheaper too- is to keep the bike with US plates and every 6 month plan a trip outside EU.
Even Switzerland counts.
DRZ400 S '03 XT600 '90 XT550 '82 XT500 '81 - giorgioxt@email.it - www.polverosi.org - EchM#645
"se sei incerto tieni APERTO !
GiorgioXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:47 AM   #12
gungnir
Norse adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Here is useful information about import for those who read Norwegian:

http://nmcu.org/files/Godkjenning av importert MC_0.pdf
Old 09-04-2014, 01:09 AM   #13
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,921
You could register the bike in the UK/Ireland or most other Euro countries for a fee of approx 10-30% of the value.. I personally imported 2 bikes and had zero issues re registering both.
I do hear Norway has a very high import tax as has Ireland but, proof you lived outside the country and have owned the bike for more than 1 year makes you exempt from this rule.
There is no logical reason that a European bike cannot be imported into Norway.
Riding on USA plates with a US passport is fine but, problems occur if you cannot produce this proof of non EU residence.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:47 AM   #14
khpossum
poster

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnirider View Post
i keep up to date plates and registration in CO and ride with the CO plates.
ha, I don't even do that with my CO plated bike in Europe. It has been years since I paid a dime to the fine state of Colorado for my bike and haven't gotten a sticker since 2010. I have only been questioned once at a border about that and they didn't really care either. My owners document and the last registration are officially looking laminated with some official looking stamps and signatures and everybody is happy when they see it. So far none of the camera taken pictures, I am sure over the years there must have been some, have gotten back to me.

Maybe I have been lucky.
khpossum is offline   Reply With Quote