Waiting for the Blood

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by NDspd, Mar 8, 2013.

1. NDspd

NDspd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, first time posting here, but been a stalker for a long time. I'm going to be embarking on my longest ride yet in less than a week. I live in the beautiful City of Savannah, and I plan to take a 4 day trip to Blood Mountain. I know, it's definitely no where close to how rough and tough you guys are.

So as other's have done, I'm going to report the whole thing, from planning to falling in my warm bed after a good trip.

To give you some background on me, I will be riding a '02 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, which is basically stock. I am an Eagle Scout with 11 years of serious camping experience. Gear wise for me is listed below.
    -Teknic Sprint Jacket
    -Tourmaster Rain pants
    -Tourmaster soft saddle bags
    -Northface expedition duffle (water resistant)
    -Shoei RF1100
    -Sena SMH10
    -Alpinestars SMX-5 boots
    -Eureka Apex 2XT (tent)
    -and the list goes on.

The Plan
    To take the 5.5+ hour ride to Blood Mountain and camp at Vogel State Park. I will be leaving on the 16th of this month and returning the 19th. It's a short trip, but I want to be back for St. Patty's day. :freaky

As this week and the next goes by I'll photograph as things happen.

Questions
    I do have a question though, how would you all pack food for a short trip like this? I have a Jet Boil stove and it seems there is a firepit with a grate at the campsite.

[​IMG]
  2. doorman

doorman Aimless

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to the report.

I keep the food pretty simple on my trips. Nothing I have to keep cool. Typically canned soups, ramen, coffee, fruit, etc..

Have fun, and don't forget to take pictures.
  3. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Welcome, brother.

Curious what kind of weather you might bump into on this quest?

(last weekend we got nine inches of lumpy ass white rain that needs to be shoveled) :evil

Regarding camp food,

I wander up n down the isles at the store. I try to identify stuff that requires no frigadeezing. You can do some wack stuff with Bisquick. Twist it around a stick, cook it near the fire, an shazaam, you have a dirty bread like camp roll. Turn it into pancakes, etc, I have breaded fresh caught fish with it too. Double-zip lock it, ask me how I know... And look on the box to see what else you need to go with it, powdered milk, some oil.

I bring some of those foil packs of tuna and salmon. Can be ate cold with a plastic fork. Couple of crackers, and you got a fulfilling snack or meal if it's raining and you had to run for the tent. Dispose of the empty foil pack if in bear country or you may have a very rude awakening.

Breakfast bars. Not just for breakfast anymore. Great item for the tank bag.

Drink powder flavoring. For when water starts to taste like, uhh, water.

Couple packs of RAMEN, just in case. It's fast, warms yea up, and with a handful of something else, it fills a hole for awhile.

I like to freeze a steak, pork chop, couple of heat and eat brats or something for the FIRST NIGHT. They can be rolled up in a plastic bag and wrapped with newspaper and they will make it till dinner time unless it's freaking ass hot out. Hint: you can warm up heat and eat brats in a jetboil.

Nice to have some meat the first night in camp. I will back out now and let someone else converse with ya.

Be well, and remember, "pictures or it never happened". :deal

[​IMG]
  4. NDspd

NDspd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Curious what kind of weather you might bump into on this quest?
    The weather guys says mid 50s friday, mid 60s sunday and monday. But things can change fast.

Regarding camp food,

You can do some wack stuff with Bisquick.
    Awesome, I'll have to look into that.

I like to freeze a steak, pork chop, couple of heat and eat brats or something for the FIRST NIGHT. They can be rolled up in a plastic bag and wrapped with newspaper and they will make it till dinner time unless it's freaking ass hot out. Hint: you can warm up heat and eat brats in a jetboil.
    My god I didn't even think of that. It just happens I have some brats ready to go!!!
  5. 9Realms

Oddometer:
  6. NDspd

NDspd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hmm....interesting.

Well it looks like I won't be alone on this trip. Just had a friend ask if he could join, so I guess I now have some one to get pics of me.

His name is Corey and he has a 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 650r, he lives a few hours away form Savannah, so it looks like we will meet at a in between point before heading to Blood Mountain.
  7. 9Realms

Oddometer:
    It's nice to be able to split up gear between bikes, one guy carries the tent, one guy carries the ground cloth, another guy carries the stove while the other brings a fryin pan, etc. I'll even extend that to, one guy can bring carry a 1/4 drive socket set, the other guy some open-box end combo wrenches, etc. Tools responsibility can be split up a little to. Oh, I ride a KLR, tools mandatory. Then you don't need em- it's a Karma thing ~
  8. Rutabaga

Rutabaga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live about 15 miles North of you and do quite a bit of riding inland and north of here, probably 300-500 per week. You might be surprised at how quickly the temps drop away from our area. Wrap yourself accordingly and be a happy warm adventurer. Hypothermia is very unpleasant and dangerous. Have a great time on your road trip.
  9. NDspd

NDspd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dang man...too cool.

Yeah it may be warm during the day, but I will have a fire going in the evenings and mornings. I also have a 0degree bag ready to go, and if need be I have my insulated riding jacket.
  10. NDspd

NDspd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got a good point there. I may have my partner carry most of the food. Gonna pack early and see the best way to arrange things.
  11. NDspd

NDspd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Welp, unfortunately I have to call off the trip. Going to be too damn cold and wet to make it an enjoyable trip. I know I could tough it out, but I'd rather not ride on wet twisty unfamiliar roads.

So, my alternative is taking the car, I know I know...I will retake the trip again with the bike when it's warmer and dryer. 25F+rain+limited luggage space=stuck in tent.