Someday is here!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by calimusjohn, Feb 2, 2014.

1. calimusjohn

calimusjohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Someday! Is here. Salome, Arizona​
    Salome, Arizona is home to a few hundred people during the summer. Why so few people? It is located smack dab in the middle of the desert about 100 miles west of Phoenix. Summers are quite warm. Then in October and November the population increases dramatically as Snowbirds from all over northern lands migrate to soak up warm sun rays as they run amok.

After 22 years of enjoying the wintertime pleasures of dealing with wood fired heating systems, frozen water pipes, and shoveling snow in Oregon, I am now a resident of Salome. It is perfectly poised as a training area for Adventure desert riding. It makes a great jumping off spot for touring Baja California and mainland Mexico. You can ride for thousands of off road miles . . .

[​IMG]

. . . . . or stick to less traveled back roads.

[​IMG]

The bike is loaded. Bills have been paid and pre-paid. The weather is good. I'm aging by the minute. I am ready for the next step; the ride from Salome to Nogales, Arizona and its Sister across the border - Nogales, Sonora, Mexico.

2. calimusjohn

Oddometer:
    "Someday!" ​
    Like many readers of these varied Ride Reports, I have often found myself muttering, "Someday". Well the years are starting to catch up with me. (Seventy five, so far.) If I continue to sit and whittle away the days, they are going to all run out and I will have gone nowhere.
    Which bike should I take? I rode a Goldwing Trike on the Four Corner's Tour. The WeeStrom carried me over the "Rattle Snake 1,000" course to qualify for the Iron Butt Association membership and then toted me from Cold Foot, Alaska to Cabo San Lucas. I love the Beemer on quickie 1,000 mile trips. The Harley is good for the evening run to get a Slurpee down at the 7/11 store.
    On past trips, the bikes were loaded with upwards of 200 pounds of basic essentials - besides my 180 pounds of bone and tissue.
    Then I began (and still am) reading John Downs, South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure. Whoa! Maybe there is a better or different way to travel. I had previously read and watched Crashmaster tour for two years with a single shirt and pair of pants. Maybe I could down size my safari. Finally, Travelbugblues. Elisa flew to Australia, bought a Super Sherpa, strapped on a bicycle basket and some fabic panniers and was off carrying fewer items than I usually haul around while moping about in my own neighborhood. That did it!
    The Yamaha TW200, hidden behind the bigger bikes was brought out to Front and Center position. To address basic ergonomics, I installed - raised - Hi-rise ATV handlebars adorned with a G.P.S. and a camera mount, to clear a larger gas tank. The new 4.1 gallon tank vs original 1.6, give the bike a 300 mile range. On the front, I fashioned a small shelf for a bicycle handlebar bag containing extra inner tubes, a pump and patches. The rear sports a plywood platform graced with a lockable Wal-Mart tool box and bicycle panniers left over from long ago touring days. A small tent, sleeping bag and a Thermarest mattress form a back rest. A welding rod container tube from Harbor Freight holds chain lube. Total out of pocket expenses for the plywood, tool box and storage tube was less then $30.00. I already had the other items. O.K. I bought the gas tank and hi-rise handlebars for another $250.00. With the bags and box packed - I'm carrying a total of 44 pounds of my new list of basic essentials.
    (O.K. I will prepare a list of what I consider essentials, later.)

[​IMG]
    Now, with the transportation wrinkles smoothed out. Where should I go? It's February. I am in southern Arizona. North and East are cold and snowy. Westward is limited by that big Pacific pond. How about South? Baja? No. I need to see some new territory. Mainland Mexico it is.
    Where in Mexico? How much of Mexico? I am not a tourist. Tourists have destinations and schedules to keep. I follow my nose, wander about needlessly and occasionally heed people's recommendations. My firm plans are: I will enter Mexico at Nogales and expect to turn north somewhere on the Yucatan peninsula - we'll see.
    This will not be a speed run. My intent is to travel no more than 250 miles per day. I will stop everytime I get the urge. I'll take photographs of what interests me. (Pretty girls are always good. :evil) I will keep track of expenditures. I will utilize motels/hotels and camp when necessary. I am not carrying cooking gear. I hope to keep the Ride Report as current as possible. (This paragraph sounds like a New Year's Resolution list. . . . and I love sunsets, long walks on the beach, warm puppies, am all for eating right, exercise, and World Peace.) gag!!!
    If you have the time and the inkling, I'd sure like to have you along for the ride. You can even make suggestions about what I should see and do. I have made a past career out of ignoring advice. Maybe this time I will be different. - - - -- Nah. . .. Doubt it.

My "Someday" is February 6, 2014. John
  3. 1Man2Wheels

1Man2Wheels Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In! You have the right attitude for Mexico traveling:clap Looking forward to the RR
  4. Dette

Dette n00b

Oddometer:
    Can't wait to read your ride reports...YAY for the TW!!! :clap
  5. Vato Jinete

Vato Jinete Feo del Norte Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like you style.:clap
  6. JDowns

JDowns Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer:
    Great start! Keep up the good work.

small bikes = big fun!

Go git 'em

Kindest regards,
    John Downs
  7. AST236

AST236 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in!!!
  8. dovetailredux

dovetailredux bakery hound

Oddometer:
    I like the small bike/old age combo. Gives me hope. Happy trails brother.
  9. Bikerjosh

Bikerjosh I was punk once.

Oddometer:
    Good luck. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your adventure, thanks for letting this desk jockey ride a long at least in spirit.:freaky
  10. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go Minimalist. I need minimalist.
    Watch out for those bags and you muffler, tho.
  11. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    :lurk I'm in for your ride..
  12. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd stay off the toll roads on a TW, the locals drive very fast
  13. calimusjohn

Oddometer:
    Well thanks for the encouragement folks. It has been 70 degrees plus for the last month. February 6 now has rain forecast. It never fails to fascinate me how that happens. God sure has a wicked sense of humor. :poser
  14. St_rydr

St_rydr #livelikerob

Oddometer:
    In...:freaky Uno mas cerveza por favor....dos tacos, eu tu. :D
  15. ontargetnow

ontargetnow Mudslinger

Oddometer:
    Mid Hudson River Valley of Communist N.Y. State
    Looks like you have the right attitude and the right bike. I rode my tw last year more than any of my more capable steeds. There is something about this turtle touring mule that always brings a smile to my face. Safe travels, Dave
  16. Manuelsv

Manuelsv Traveling South

Oddometer:
    Hey there..
    I just PM'd you my number.. I am originally from Mexico, and I have ridden down all the way to the Guatemala Border 2x, and heading down again at the end of march.. Call me and I'll hook you up with some insider info and perhaps link you up with some of my friends down there so you can have some connections along the way!
  17. potski

potski Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer:

Hi Calimusjohn, thanks for the invite, don't mind if I do! This looks like a fun ADVenture.

Liking the choice of little TW, even though you have bigger machines. More and more riders seem to be taking their smaller ride and maybe having just as big an ADVenture.:clap

Keep it coming

Ride safe

Cheers
    Potski :freaky
  18. gr8grins

gr8grins Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are my hero! Most people never make their "someday" happen. Nice work... I live in Oregon and just finished shoveling my driveway. You have me thinking...
    Thank you and travel safely!
    Brad
    Ps- I'm in!!!:clap:freaky
  19. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    We have another snow storm forecast for Feb 5th.
    I'll be enviously reading about your adventure - thanks for sharing!
  20. Marine By Choice

Marine By Choice Sergeant 0311

Oddometer:
    I am 67, recently retired and arranging several long distance rides beginning this April.

So subscribed and looking forward to following you!

Be safe,
    Keith