Great Spacecoaster dualsporting

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Kommando, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    'Rode up 524 and Adamson to get to Palmetto and Pine near Cocoa today, then cut west towards Cherven and Satellite Rd. North of Cherven, it was the driest I've ever seen it. The sand was loose, and some of the smaller canals/ditches were crossable without getting wet. The whoops get crazy in a few places on a big DR rolling 70/30 rubber, with not much room for error when riding anywhere near fast between the palmettos, trees, and overgrown canals. A lot of people were out shooting and fishing today, so after a quick run through the most open trails, I decided to go find the place Mark described above.

Turning E off US1 onto E Jayjay Rd., north of Chain-Of-Lakes Park took me to Hammock Rd. It's strange finding myself in this area, as I lived in Titusville for a few months in HS, between Brewer ME and Chicago. The Astronaut HS X-country team used to run the dirt roads up north of town here, all the way to County Line Rd. I can't believe I'm dualsporting them over 20yrs later. The sand here is pretty packed and easy to negotiate right now. I can smell the river beyond the trees. There are MILES of dirt roads in this network...Roads the developers have just never gotten to.

These will be must-do rides for later. We saw a LOT of birds and other wildlife out by Kennedy SC when we did the bus tour with my GF's family. I can't wait to see what other critters abound.
  2. mark1305

mark1305 Old Enough To Know Better Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hit me up sometime when you want to ride. For the first time in over a year, I have both bikes running and both need the exercise. I'll either be able to make it, or not on rare occasions. Not bothered with a job, just stuff breaking down around here every so often.

Oh yeah, PM me and I'll send my email and cell number.
  3. scubadown

scubadown Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello fellow Merritt Islanders. I have a KLR650 and would love to get together to ride some dirt.

Best

Tom

scubadown at hotmail.com
  4. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spacecoasters,

I'm going to try and get a ride going for the morning. You can PM me, reply in the Great Spacecoaster Dualsporting thread, or send me a text. I plan to leave my place by 0800. I'm about 30 minutes from 520 and A1A. We can meet somewhere for breakfast.

I'll be checking the site, and my phone (for those of you who have my #), for any replies until I head out. As the gameplan evolves, it will be posted in this thread.
  5. scubadown

scubadown Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would love to go, unfortunately I have my 2nd day of the two day motorcycle safety course tomorrow. Had a license years ago but they wouldn't let me grandfather in. Would really like to meet up with some locals to ride together. How about next weekend?

Best

Tom
  6. EZman671

EZman671 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cannot today, but you have a great ride idea here. Keep it going.

If you get into the park check out Biolab Rd. It will get you 5 miles or so north and connects to 3 up there.
  7. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, we'll have to see what everybody is doing next weekend.:1drink
  8. EZman671

EZman671 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Next weekend 4/22 - Lotza activity at Port Malabar Pistol Range.

3-gun on Saturday and IDPA ( Sunshine Games Version) on Sunday.

So I will miss another ride. Mean while the KLX is doing fine.

Rode maybe 20 miles today all pavement. Came home and pulled a 4 inch piece of heavy wire out of my recently new rear tire.

It was in maybe 0.5 inches and at a shallow angle so maybe the tube did not get hit. Holding pressure so far. Will see what it is tomorrow.
  9. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    'Got out to Meritt Island for some fun in the sun. I rode Courtenay up towards the Space Center and spotted two 4' gators in the ditch as I got to the closed gate and was turning off towards the Visitor Center and Astronaut Hall of Fame. 'Took some pics and kept rolling back towards US1 to head north to Titusville.

I then puttered across the causeway up by Garden St. and cut off the pavement by the fishing pullout to play in the little strip of dirt along the river as I made my way into the wildlife refuge. Some bold turkey vultures were so intent on cleaning up some filleted fish carcasses that even the thumper rolling past didn't disturb them.

When I got to the first dirt road on the right, I turned off and followed that out around the mud flats. There weren't many people out fishing for a weekend, so there were lots of birds stalking fish and other critters in the shallows. I saw another 4' gator ('seems to be a popular size for these things), a bunch of different birds (including some kind of fishing hawk), and swarms of little crabs. (Note to self: If you fall out here, DO NOT stay on the ground long!:lol3)
  10. mark1305

Oddometer:
    Kommando, how are those dirt roads in that section? As many times as I have ridden up that way to do the Shiloh Marsh Road and the Wildlife Loop, I have never crossed over to check out the roads on that side of the highway.

I need to scout it for fishing purposes, too.
  11. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Easy enough for a streetbike or 2WD cage with decent clearance, when it's dry, but you'd want to take it slow. A bunch of those little roads have shallow craters all over, but it's mostly smooth and winding hardpack with small rocks embedded in it. Most dualsports would make short work of it at pavement speed, but it'd be more comfortable standing than sitting. Watch out for critters...2-legged and otherwise.

The mudflats look pretty cool. They remind me of going clam-digging in ME as a kid, with open expanses like a miniature version of the Bonneville salt flats. It's a birdwatchers' paradise out there in the refuge.

I'd guess most of the dirt out there is pretty devoid of people in January, when temps dip into the 30s and 40s.

I'll see if I can get some pics posted...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. mark1305

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks. Looks like more mudflats that get exposed than up in Shiloh Marsh, where I usually ride (when that road is open all the way). Still looks like some potentially good fishing spots to check out.
  13. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went out to Satellite Rd after work this afternoon. The trails are REALLY dry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. RSOJIM

RSOJIM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    EZman671, is that you Pete ? I can truck over sometime with bike in back and unload at a safe place and ride for a day. Did I mention I do not like sugar sand. thanks Jim
  15. HotSoup

HotSoup Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would love to join you guys, but until i get my chain and sprockets replaced no can do. worst part is its my only transport so im babying it.
  16. scubadown

scubadown Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would be up for a ride this weekend. Let me know.

scubadown at hotmail.com
  17. RSOJIM

RSOJIM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Going 4 wheelin today at Suburban Estates at Holopaw. My 4 wheeler ain't been dirty in a while.
  18. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Saturday morning is the tentative plan.

Who's on board to see if Shiloh Marsh Rd. is open, and to possibly ride Gator Creek Rd. later, out on the island?

Somebody who knows the island, go ahead and chime in...recommend a decent inexpensive meeting place for breakfast out that way.

For those of you that don't like riding sugarsand, but want to get off the pavement here in Spacecoast FL, Gator Creek Rd. is your ride. It's pretty much cratered hardpack with some small rocks here and there. It's a birdwatcher bonanza most days out there too. You never know what you're gonna see.
  19. scubadown

scubadown Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Causeway Diner,3712 N. Courtenay Parkway, Merritt Island, Fl 32953
    (321) 454-9898 is pretty good. Although the weather forecast for Saturday sucks;

Saturday:
    Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. High near 77. Windy, with a south wind between 10 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
  20. mark1305

Oddometer:
    I just stumbled across a web page showing road status in the Refuge.

Looks like Shiloh Marsh is closed for major maintenance TFN.

East & West Gator Creek Rds are open. BTW, Where is Gator Creek Rd? I have never seen it and couldn't get Google to find it either, except for a biking page and a fishing page - no maps.