Vstrom + Oil Slick = Vstrom Down

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by TravellingStrom, Feb 28, 2013.

1. TravellingStrom

TravellingStrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all

I had a small moment yesterday and thought I would share the good news. I survived without a scratch. The bike took one for the team again ;) I was wearing full gear at the time and although I have a couple of small sore spots on my bum and hip, I lived to ride another day.

The bike suffered the removal of the last front indicator, the right hand guard was ripped off, the right passenger foot peg once again was bent up, one of my panniers has ablated a lot and I may have some leakage.(note, soft luggage would have been ripped apart in this, or the bike may not have slid so much but dug in and flipped) A few scrapes in other areas, sort of hard to see from previous damage ;)

The situation- I was riding in the inside lane of a two lane 110kmh highway. I was coming up fast on a truck that was passing a slower truck, I had to drop speed and 2 gears so I was probably doing 80kmh at the time, once we had both cleared the slower truck and knowing here in SEA the truck would most likely stay in this lane, I changed lanes and added throttle to get past the one I was following. I did not see the oil slick and the rest is history. I am thankful that I was moving sideways to the outside of the road edge as I did not stay long under the wheels of the truck I had just passed.

The interesting thing is the bike was still in gear and screaming its head off until I got close, then it shut off.

Oil in Oil a lucky day, we get to continue our travels. Here is the movie, on my brand new Drift 1080:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6pen9YvS3w

Cheers
    TravellingStrom
  2. Schlug

Schlug A natural, zesty enterprise.

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    That was, plainly put, some of the worst motorcycle riding I've seen in a long time.

You sure are lucky.
  3. Rakthi

Rakthi So what happens next?

Oddometer:
    bloody lucky! Good thing you slid out of the way of the slow truck you just passed ...
  4. greyplague

greyplague Greyplague

Oddometer:
    I think the truck on the left never saw you. You passed under his range of view. Chances are he did'nt even seee you going down.
    Good thing you came out well tho.

Thieu.
    The sky ain't the limit. The ground is.
  5. livo

livo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm with Bobby - that was not smart riding. Take risks like that and you'll go down. One day you'll use up all your luck and you won't be getting back up

6. sparklr

sparklr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really enjoy the laughable nature you present after a near death experience. By your own admission it is not the first time and likely won't be your last either, judging by your decision making abilities. It is clearly evident from your cam POV that something is certainly amiss in the lane to your left. You obviously missed a sign heeding a warning condition, ignored it altogether, or thought it was minimal enough that your prowess and skills would compensate for it.

From the very first second of the video it is clearly evident that something is different in the other lane, not just an oil spill as you regard it, more like preparation for upcoming road work of some sort. Either way it will boil down to the situational awareness equation that I'm sure will get chimed in on by one famous resident expert.

Consider yourself very fortunate that you didn't end up a statistic. If you are considering an insurance claim, I would recommend you edit the post or have it deleted by a MOD.
  7. Gonzoso

Gonzoso Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow that was bad! That's a dangerous way to ride, fortune smiled on you that day.

I hope you learn from this and take a little more care. I did something similar once, pulling in between two semi's on a 65 mph highway with the flow of traffic going 75 to make an exit. I hit my front brake a bit hard and felt my new Metzler touring tire break loose and start to wash out at 75 mph while I was merely a few feet in front of a Yuengling beer truck.

I've no doubt if I hadn't let go of the brake and righted myself I would have died. I drive more carefully now.

That was terrible how no one stopped or anything. I'm also surprised you were so quiet, I would have been cursing a bit more.
  8. avgas

avgas amateur

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you're alright. Please learn a lesson from this, driving aggressively around traffic (especially trucks) is a really bad idea. You were very lucky to have slid clear of the trucks, that mistake could have easily ended with your death.
  9. bumbeen

bumbeen Banned

Oddometer:
    I thought it was crazy just from the speed at which you approached the vehicle in front of you haha!
  10. livo

livo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excerpts from the youtube channel :deal - didn't have to dig very hard to find these

Oops, not paying attention
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GnoMmWTV1U&list=UUYvb9XACj3OJw6YhTYj_Diw&index=3

Truck passing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJb_a8yLFUg&list=UUYvb9XACj3OJw6YhTYj_Diw&index=7

Road Works, Not So Squeezy Trucks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhhrbzgBo-Y&list=UUYvb9XACj3OJw6YhTYj_Diw&index=10

:rolleyes
  11. Antiquar

Antiquar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Glad you evaded the reaper.
  13. Islesfan91

Islesfan91 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    those youtube videos make me uncomfortable watching them. Like at some point you're going to get smoked by something.
  14. total_n00b

total_n00b Bits. Bytes. Bikes.

Oddometer:
    I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit watching that, yikes!

Cut him some slack - anyone on this thread that hasn't had a moment of weakness related to right hand is not being honest.

These moments are to be learned from.
  15. katanarama

katanarama riding > posting

Oddometer:
    Pretty gnarly. :yikes

I think most of us are guilty of pulling a move like that tat some stage.

Glad you are OK.
  16. hanksmybuddy

hanksmybuddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMHO if you continue to ride like that it won't make any difference if there is an oil slick or not. You won't be around long. Scary riding practices from what I saw in that video. Glad you survived this one. Hopefully, you'll learn from it.
  17. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    fuck, 80+ videos of near misses in one place. sub'd just to learn what not to do.
  18. rdcamp

rdcamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really hope you never ride 2 up.

The first video was careless, but by itself forgivable, a lesson to be learned and utilized.
    Obviously from your other videos your dangerous practices are endemic.

For the love of god dont subject an ignorant passenger to the danger you feel is acceptable to yourself.
    :huh
  19. _Davi_

_Davi_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, y'all being a little harsh on the dude, IMHO. Yeah, the vids in his feed are a bit aggressive, but it looks like southeast asia or india to me, and as someone who has ridden around those parts plenty, people drive differently, and you just fall into the rhythm. That said, it's prolly better to leave the gps/iphone in the pocket while the stand's up, amirite?
  20. Tebpac

Tebpac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ..a bit ballsy. When you're feeling the bike and the road and the whole rhythm of it all, you can get lost in what you are doing. I thought I'd never change my riding practices until I jumped on a Duc Multistrada. The raw power and ability of the bike was exhilarating! Next thing I know, I'm abandoning all the rules that I adhered to because the bike could do so much more than the one I owned at the time. Went with a GS instead. Not saying I can't get in trouble with it but it feels like home. It's all fun and games till someone loses an eye.....or a leg....or a life. Glad you made it through ok. Hopefully, a lesson learned.....