2013 Yamaha FJR

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    I doubt you'll see any major changes in the ergonomics department ...
  2. bungie4

bungie4 Frostback

Oddometer:
    I came from cruisers and dirt bikes before I bought my FJR. I know the feeling. But it goes away after about 10 minutes of saddle time. Haven't notice it in nearly a 100,000 miles on my FJR since.
  3. richarddacat

richarddacat Everything is green and submarine.

Oddometer:
    "FJR1300A includes a two-position adjustable rider seat, low for shorter riders or nearly 1-inch higher for a more spacious feel for taller riders, plus handlebars that can be adjusted to one of three different positions. The result is a superb, custom-fit ride."

The 2013 FJR
  4. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    Ummmmm...the old ones had that too. :D
  5. richarddacat

Oddometer:
    The handlebars were adjustable from the factory? I didn't know that. :thwak
  6. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Ya, you can adjust them to tilt in or out.. I'll be in for a Motorcycle Larry triple clamp, where the risers are built in and the handlebars are moved a bit closer to the rider..
  7. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    £1000 off is a good start, but I still think they will end up discounting the bike.

One of the two Yamaha dealers near me has gone bust, the other looks like an empty showroom. It's very sad.

But that can happen when you want £20,000 for a Vmax and £7000 for the single-cylinder MT-03.

Yamaha tried to position themselves as a premium brand, but with old models on the floor (S10 apart), no-one bought that schtick.

Btw, the FJR has a 289kg weight??
  8. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have to agree. Interesting piece by Kevin Ash in MCN last week. He intimates things are not rosy at Yamaha. While the euro marques have invested in new product, the big 4 have battened down the hatches in the hope of riding out the storm. It hasn't worked.

Case in point - i pick up a new Ducati MTS 12 on Thursday.

Nothing from the big 4 comes close to what the Duck does. The galling factor is Yamaha started the trend for big road going motards. How long has the TDM gone without an update?

Lets hope the announcement of the new Triple gives what few dealers are left some hope.
  9. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy I like pussy

Oddometer:
    I'm sure that new Multi iz a fine bike, butt the FJR rocks my world, not just by performance, butt by insanely low maintenance, and the reliability of an anvil.
    With iridium plugs, ya only need ta change 'em, check the valves, 'n do a TB synch every 30,000 miles! :thumb
    Like a good woman, it's all 'bout the total package!:wings 'N see'in I ride most every day, this is important ta me. :rayof
  10. richarddacat

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
  11. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    I agree with this. The FJR is for the person who wants a very good, reliable bike at a reasonable price. Not necessarily the latest technology or the best bike, but good enough.

The European bikes are for those who want the better performance and are willing to accept both teething pains that new high tech brings and the cost best in class requires.

Both are fine. Pick yer poison.
  12. ______

______ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought my '09 AE in June of this year. I like the AE (AS) version enough that I'm hoping they will eventually offer it again here. Since they had '09's in stock during '12 I can understand why the company didn't want to bring us their pricy option just to have it sit around and sell for less than the manual a few years later. Fortunately, I will have many years before I need a new bike.
  13. GB

Oddometer:
    Maybe it's a sign of "maturity" i.e. :gerg but I'm now looking to get a sport touring bike that's reliable, comfortable and easy to maintain without being married to the dealer for software updates, recalls and technical bulletins...

I've always had a thing for the FJR as a long distance mile muncher and daily rider... now that they've added factory cruise control, I'm very interested....

Has anyone here pulled the trigger on a '13 FJR? I'd like to hear how it is to ride it as a commuter bike.. any heat issues?

Also, I've read that in Europe there's an electronically adjustable suspension model coming in April '13. I'm not sure I'd be interested in that but will wait to see what it's about and if it's got upside down forks..
  14. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was under the impression that the heat issue was resolved with the minor redesign of a couple of years ago.

Also curious to see if it remains a problem.

NFE
  15. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Yep, bought mine on the 6th of this month. Have only racked up a whopping 154 miles, she's put away for the winter and farkling. What little I've ridden her, she is all I was looking for and the cruise control is a must for me anymore. No regrets here.:freaky
  16. GB

Oddometer:
    Thanks for chiming in... we'll look forward to an update once you're back on the road..

I'm curious if those LED lights on the edge of the headlights are just marker lights when the lights are off, or can they still be seen and are bright enough to be noticed when the headlights are running?
  17. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Considering mine can be seen on my cheapo 300cc scooter, and they're
    wrapped around the main headlight, I'm gonna say yes (for any new bike).
  18. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After looking at these lights and rereading the Yamaha literature, they are NOT LED lights, they LOOK like LEDs. :eek1 :eek1 Semantics I guess. Not sure how visible they are on the road.
  19. BikerGeek99

BikerGeek99 Horizon Chaser

Oddometer:
    A couple of guys over on the FJRforum (Warchild and fairlaner) have threads going on their 2013's.

There's gonna be an FJR gathering in June around Huntsville, Ontario. C'mon up!

And I found 2013 FJR #86 today - it's on the floor at the Iron Pony here in Columbus. Sorry for the crappy iPhone pic...
    [​IMG]
  20. xcsp

xcsp Been here awhile

Oddometer: