Treemans 2014

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Mad Jack, Feb 13, 2014.

1. ChuckV

ChuckV Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's why I left that stuff in Kay's truck.:rofl
  2. TreeManG23

TreeManG23 TreeMan Racing

Oddometer:
    I posted on KLRworld also. I just posted it there for you
  3. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    Did you hear back from Bob. I hope he made it home ok.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. ChromeSux

ChromeSux Un-plated and Unscrewed

Oddometer:
    I have been riding one of those KLX450R's lately. A friend of mine has 2 of them. FUN to ride, nice power. Too bad Kawi did not attempt to make them easy to title for street every where. His has the Baja designs dual sport kits on them. We have been just sticking a tag on them and riding.

Oh and glad Bob is OK. I ask Hurricane about Bob today.
  5. halmc

halmc Turkey T*urd

Oddometer:
    Tallahassee, Florida -- home of good ideas
    I did! Very nice job, Vic, I think you captured the flavor of the ride very well. Thanks!

On another note, anyone have Mark Bruce's email, or his ADV user name?
  6. TreeManG23

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  7. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    Some pics from Sat. night--in the foreground we have Treeman and Kay. In the background, various and sundry hooligans, gazoonies and nogoodniks.
    [​IMG]

Speaking of, here's Pete and his bottle of "15-year" tequila, which he graciously shared with everybody:
    [​IMG]

Treeman's place sure looks different without all the trees:
    [​IMG]

The view from the top of the hill overlooking the tree farm:
    [​IMG]

Mark said, go to the top of that hill and look off to the east, and you'll see that Florida AIN'T totally flat! And he was right, by golly:
    [​IMG]

Hit some nice 2-track on the way out there and again on the way back:
    [​IMG]

This was a little bit out-of-route, but I wanted to get some altitude and breathe some fresh mountain air:D
    [​IMG]

Good times, they were had. Ya know what I say? Let's do it again!:clap
  8. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    Glad you made the journey! You make even a one nighter a real Adventure ride with a stop by the "bamboo garden" and then a stop by the highest point in FL. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Maybe Mark should think about changing is Avatar to

TreelessMan
  9. Hatch

Hatch Perpetually lost

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [australian voice]Notice the KTM in it's native habitat, where it has ventured out from the trees to graze in the open as the sun sets[/australian voice]
  10. TreeManG23

Oddometer:
    I just wanted everyone to know that Bob is doing just fine. I talked to his wife & him this morning
  11. StandingRoomOnly

StandingRoomOnly n00b

Oddometer:
    How about Stumpy?
    Been thinking about Road Grader for me :tb
    I appreciate all the thoughts and concern.
    Especially Vic's hospitality, which I probably wore out.
    The head is fine, neck is fine and the black eye is almost gone.
    Looking forward to next year.
  12. KawDlr

KawDlr Kawasaki GURU

Oddometer:
    Thanks Chrome! I built two and titled them, back in 2008 for myself and a buddy in Tallahassee to pack light and hit the TAT. I designed and lasered out the t/s mounts and tag mounts from stainless, the remaining parts are off the shelf. But the economy took its toll and he sold his and we never made the journey. I talked endlessly with Kawasaki's dealer hotline regarding the ability to ride cross country on the TAT, and they didn't feel like the motor was up to the task of 5000 miles without rebuilds, since the factory recommends pistons every 900 mi. Apparently the motor would have made it just fine, because I've got over 11k miles on my motor and just this past weekend she show'd signs of needing her first valve adjustment. I've checked them every 900 mi and changed the oil every 600 mi like the factory recommended and it's treated me right! Needs a new battery and valve adjustment now, and it'll be ready for another adventure!:clap:clap
  13. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    What is it with manufacture recommended maintenance? 900 miles on a piston!!!

My KTM is even worse, but alas I don't pay attention to recommendations and use my own judgment. I had 9000 on my 2008 piston before changing and that was just because I was going to sell it and wanted it fresh for new owner.

Got 3k on my 5hunny without issues.

Go figure
  14. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Inept, I take it you didn't re-jet and could not make it all the way to the summit?

Its OK, I would never even consider taking a non-efi bike to those kinds of altitudes?

[​IMG]

15. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    KLR's jetted for sea level, it died in the parking lot. I hiked up to the summit but was getting lightheaded just before I made it, thought I was gonna pass out but I endeavored to persevere. Coulda used some oxygen but there was none left; I used it all up earlier in the ascent. Made it back down to the bike before altitude sickness took hold, but it wouldn't start, so I coasted down to about 200' and she cranked up but ran rough for a good part of the remaining descent. That was my first solo trip up there, I was really pushin the edge of the envelope but sometimes ya gotta go all out and live dangerously, ya know?:wink:
  16. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are a true adventurer.
    I made the mistake of feeling so refreshed by the mountain air that I jogged down to the parking lot.
    Got that tunnel vision/hissing thing, passed out for at least 5 mins. according to the nice couple that found me there.

Actually I think that might have happened at pikes peak, I get those 2 places confused.
  17. Orange Crushed

Orange Crushed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Inept,

Your bike may have been suffering from Ethanol poisoning due to it coming out of solution in your tank at such extreme altitudes. :pot<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  18. TreeManG23

Oddometer:
    Y'all crack me up...LOL
  19. halmc

halmc Turkey T*urd

Oddometer:
    Tallahassee, Florida -- home of good ideas
    Was the Breashears crew any where in sight? BTW, at that altitude, the 'pack it in, pack it out' is an essential consideration. I hope you did the right thing.