MOTOZ and the SE

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by JOKER650, Mar 25, 2013.

1. JOKER650

JOKER650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spring is here and it's time to retire:D
    .....and an oil change.

[​IMG]">

SO I thought I would try out the MOTOZ TRACTIONATOR DESERT.:clap
    My locaL KTM/HONDA/BERG/CAN-AM dealer has some prety good prices....$115
    It's got "SCOOPS" :lol3...and it's pat-pending:1drink
    [​IMG]">

It took 60psi to seat the bead:eek1
    <a href="<a href=" http:="" s1120.photobucket.com="" user="" joker650="" media="" 034_zpsf3e07d95.jpg.html"="" target="_blank">[​IMG]">

Mmmm...that feels BETTAaah
    <a href="<a href=" http:="" s1120.photobucket.com="" user="" joker650="" media="" 038_zps5a4576ed.jpg.html"="" target="_blank">[​IMG]"

Not sure if this shows it verry well...but it has a huge rim saver.(if that's what ya call it)
    <a href="<a href=" http:="" s1120.photobucket.com="" user="" joker650="" media="" 055_zps90472ae8.jpg.html"="" target="_blank">[​IMG]">

Decided to try the matching front.

<a href="<a href=" http:="" s1120.photobucket.com="" user="" joker650="" media="" 050_zpsf37732f3.jpg.html"="" target="_blank">[​IMG]">

The front also has a different PATENT PENDING tread design:wink:

<a href="<a href=" http:="" s1120.photobucket.com="" user="" joker650="" media="" 048_zps4ca153cf.jpg.html"="" target="_blank">[​IMG]">

If these tires work and last any where near what the previuos MOTOZ on the rear did...this will be my NEW tire of choice :freaky

YUPP......that's 3/4 inch of rubber on a street legal DOT tire for $115 :deal
    Go measure that new tire you just installed:1drink
    <a href="<a href=" http:="" s1120.photobucket.com="" user="" joker650="" media="" 043_zpsfbac2fe3.jpg.html"="" target="_blank">[​IMG]"
  2. Rodknee

Rodknee the post is mightier than the sword...

Oddometer:
    anxiously awaiting a ride report... :ear
  3. biggus

biggus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the same tires on my 06 950S.

I am finishing up a 1 month, 2,000 mile plus ride in Laos riding the Ho Chi Minh Trail. Plenty of hard pack, sand, bull dust, rocks and mud with a few asphalt stretches of 100k or so in between. Ran the front at 18psi and rear at 15 psi. All I can say is great tires and wish I had them before I dented the rims from running those soft walled TKC 80s.

Will be finishing off the trip with about 1,000k of tarmac so will see how they look after that but the look great now. Wear excellent and no chuncking. A very very happy customer.
  4. HooliKen

HooliKen Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer:
    You running stock size rear 140/80-18?
  5. biggus

biggus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    4.25" and a 140/80/18...
  6. HooliKen

HooliKen Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer:

How big of a PITA was it to change?
  7. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Hold on... the tire on the left is "worn out"?
  8. ABuck99

ABuck99 0.0

Oddometer:
    If you cant get that bead to seat at max of 40psi- deflate , & spray-or add some soap solution to the entire bead of the tire, (murphy's oil soap works great and is non-corrosive) and try again. Its not necessary to use 60psi or more to seat the bead, and it could cause you some safety issues- like exploding the tire:eek1, and we dont want to see an inmate taking himself out with a tire explosion- Save the injuries for riding related mis-haps:lol3.

Note to LC8 ADV Owners: the SE has a 2.5" rim width which makes fitment of any 140/80-18 including the Motoz with in spec. Mounting a 140/80-18 on the 950/990ADV 4.25" rim width is very much out of spec.

I know there are some inmates that do this regularly, but keep in mind the sidewall profile of the MotoZ 140 mounted on the 4.25" wide ADV rim is stretched over 1.25" beyond engineered safe limit. Load and sidewall strength is compromised. The tire profile becomes quite square- (flat sidewall- flat tread contact) instead of a curved radius which affects on-road handling and off-road hook up. Yes its being done, but it doesn't make it particularly safe. I support anyone's choice to do as they wish, my comments are intended only to inform others that its "non-standard" and to do so at their own risk. I'm stepping off my soap box now.....:gerg
  9. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    KTM from the factory specs the Dunlop 908 stock on the Baja Adventure with a 4.25 inch rim. Ya figure they might know a little bit about product liability? One company's tire measurement is not the same as another. Motoz specs this tire on rims up to 3.5 inches. You can look at many pictures of these tires mounted up on stock Adventure rims. They are not "quite square". They may not be perfect but they are not dangerous. Many of us have run these tires many years and tens of thousands of miles. 60 psi won't cause a tire to explode while getting it on the bead either.

Are you sure you ride a motorcycle? They are dangerous you know.:eek1 Just making sure you are aware.:D
  10. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think he makes a legitimate point. People may be doing it (I do) but that does not mean it's technically correct, and I appreciate the observation. And, simply because the KTM chose to use the Dunlop does not mean automatically the Motoz WILL work. As you pointed out yourself, different tires have different profiles.

I've emailed Motoz directly and asked specifically about this application, and will let theis thread know their response, if any.

Worth pointing out though- this is a direct quote from their website:

It's had an overhaul since 2007 and is now 1kg ligher, making it an excellent tyre for adventure bikes and big bore enduro bikes with a 2.5 inch rim used in off road applications.
  11. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure it is a legit point. My point is too. Empirical evidence has shown that mounting these tires on a 4.25 inch rim will not specifically cause them to fail.

Also, if you look under "Tyre Selection" on the Motoz website is shows a diagram of the 140 Tractionator on a 3.5 inch rim.
  12. ABuck99

ABuck99 0.0

Oddometer:
  13. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    Man this thread took a wrong turn:eek1 fantastic tire tho
  14. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Have you tried one on your SE?

Any feedback how "bad" they are on tarmac?
  15. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    I will not buy another 908 ever! Love the motoz.good as any other knobby on pavement
  16. ABuck99

ABuck99 0.0

Oddometer:
    you are right, sorry guys & joker660- I get carried away sometimes & didnt mean to hi-jack the thread
  17. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:
    I found your comments perfectly relevant and friendly in nature and tone.

You made it clear you were not scolding, and were offering only information based on theory, and that others may have had practical experience that differed from theory.

Hope you don't stop making posts like this- I find them helpful, and I appreciate it.
  18. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Sweet!
  19. JOKER650

JOKER650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    140/80-18
  20. JOKER650

JOKER650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How big of a PITA was it to change?

It was not any more difficult to spoon on than any other tire.
    ===============================

Hold on... the tire on the left is "worn out"?

No it aint worn out...but I can't stand the noise it makes on the pavement. Might stud it up for next winter:1drink
    ===============================

If you cant get that bead to seat at max of 40psi- deflate , & spray-or add some soap solution to the entire bead of the tire, (murphy's oil soap works great and is non-corrosive) and try again. Its not necessary to use 60psi or more to seat the bead, and it could cause you some safety issues- like exploding the tire:eek1, and we dont want to see an inmate taking himself out with a tire explosion- Save the injuries for riding related mis-haps:lol3.

Yeah I deflated used soap, a little WD-40 and re-inflated 4 times...each tim up to 60 psi. Each time it went a little further.
    There was about 6" that was giving me a problem. The final time it looked like it was continueing to move ever so slightly .
    Wifey and I took off for a 4x4 up in the bush foe a few hours and when I returned home it was all in place:clap
    ===================================
    Moto z on a SE
    Man this thread took a wrong turn:eek1 fantastic tire tho

LMAO :lol3
    It sure did
    =====================================

I will not buy another 908 ever! Love the motoz.good as any other knobby on pavement

+1...shittiest tire I have ever bought. Over priced, crapy off road and gave the bike a death wobble on the pavement at 120kph:huh
    ======================================

you are right, sorry guys & joker660- I get carried away sometimes & didnt mean to hi-jack the thread

HAHA:freaky

I found your comments perfectly relevant and friendly in nature and tone.

You made it clear you were not scolding, and were offering only information based on theory, and that others may have had practical experience that differed from theory.

Hope you don't stop making posts like this- I find them helpful, and I appreciate it.

Same here. Never too much information......well....um....not totally true !:eek1