show us your XT660Z Tenere

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by y2blade, Jan 13, 2009.

1. phil ten

phil ten Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yes they are. i believe they are "high" enduro bars, there about 25mm higher than standard and you have to re-route the throttle cables (which isn't hard). but if there not quite high enough you cant add risers as the cable wont reach.

the advantage i have at the mo with my standard bars & shim stack risers is that i can change the height for what im riding. IE a 10mm drop to make the bars more comfy for a long tarmac ride or 10/15mm heigher for a day on the dirt.

Going with 613's means i will be stuck at one height, thats why i want some bars that are similar to the standard ones....but cant find any :huh
  2. MORT666

MORT666 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What do you think of removing the fork gaiters.?:ear
  3. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]
  4. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer:
    As an aside (and a cheaper option to explore) I bought riser suspension links for mine which lifted it up sufficiently for me..also helped with the handling .

:D
  5. Chris 690R

Chris 690R Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would any Tenere owners prefer a 690 Enduro R yes or no and why?

Chris
  6. webbiker

webbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Describe your riding. 690 R is lighter, more powerful etc. but thats just numbers. The Ten could srill,be the better choice depending on your needs.
  7. MORT666

MORT666 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KTM blow up more.:rofl
  8. dallastx

dallastx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, I´ll stick to my trusty Tenere(no major problems so far, at 90.000km's). It does all I want a bike to do(for me anyway, that's all day ridin' that is mostly backroads and twisty mountain roads and also highway runnin', touring/travelling, occasional offroad), got sufficient power, good fuel economy/EFI, not too expensive in maintenance and lotsa fun to ride and oh yeah.....it looks good too!! I've never ridden the 690, but from what I read in several tests and on forums, I don't need that kind of bike, imho.(and it breaks down too often...). To each its own, I guess.
    Greetz, Hans.
  9. Chris 690R

Chris 690R Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My problem is I have sold my KTM 300 EXC at age 46 cannot keep up with my brotherinlaw (10 year my junior) and his mates any more. So after 6 months of research I purchased a 2012 690 new with Akra. I have only done about 600 km, however it has become apparent to me that this thing loves dirt and just puts up with the road. It takes me almost 2 hours to get to decent dirt. The dirt close to me is to snotty for a 690 but perfect for a 300 or similar!

So I now categorise the 690 as the hoon of adventure bikes, however I test rode a Tenere the other day and yes much heavier, softer inferior suspension and less power, however it was way more comfy on the road!

So mad as it may seem I am thinking to sell my 690 and get a Tenere to do true adventure bike riding being both tar and dirt! The 12 690 is a massive improve over prior models, however I would have to spend money on it to get a dash like the Tenere has standard and change seat etc!

The 690 will blow any adventure bike off on the dirt, but is ordinary on the road and cannot do true single. So as much as I love KTM, I don't see the point as,a true adv bike without spending more money on it?

So I am thinking with the money left over to get another single trail dirt bike and Tenere, then I have all my bases covered!

Let me know if you think I am nuts?

Chris
  10. dallastx

Oddometer:
    It's all a matter of choices and priorities, in the end it's all up to you.
  11. samueleuk

samueleuk Sam

Oddometer:
    With regards to the choice between the XT660Z and the KTM 690R, you should also consider how much luggage you want to carry

If you just use the bike for some trail riding on weekends (i.e. carry a small tail pack), than the KTM 690R is fine.

However, if you want to carry lots of luggage for a long trip, you should consider that the XT660Z has a much stronger subframe (hence the weight !) to which you can attach securely a rack and some heavy panniers.
  12. atobá

atobá Atobá

Oddometer:
  13. mtbdemon

mtbdemon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good LORD!!!!! Why can't we get these sweet bikes in the U.S???
  14. dallastx

Oddometer:
    A passed station by YamahaUSA, I'm afraid......Don't know what the deal is at their HQ, but they missed an oppurtunity here, givin' the Americans the chance to choose. I'll keep praying(well, sort of....) that y'all get the chance to buy&ride the Tenere Stateside, as well for that matter, the R and X.
    Greetz from a happy Tenere-rider!
  15. S69

S69 n00b

Oddometer:
    I have a Ténéré XT660ZA... the ABS version. It's a great bike to ride but... when I go off road... I want to disable the ABS.
    Is there someboby that knows a way to disable the ABS ? Like with a little switch or something??? THX for your help.
  16. Tomsdad

Tomsdad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here are a few pictures of my 660Z taken on the Army training area of Salisbury Plain....UK
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Great day....great bike.
  17. wide

wide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great pics Buddy, cant wait to get the Ten over the Plains for a ride this year
  18. stamp

stamp Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. Tomsdad

Tomsdad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Happy to show you around when you fancy it..
  20. stamp

stamp Adventurer

Oddometer:

this sounds like a plan :deal :D