Yooperbikemike's 2013 MotoGP Thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by yooperbikemike, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Kropotkin

Kropotkin Big Girl's Blouse Supporter

Oddometer:
    Suzuki are still holding out for a one-year contract. One year. How does that help build a series? And what does that say about how seriously they are taking MotoGP?
  2. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
    I have not seen that stated anywhere else. You must have some knowledge on the situation that is not public.

Obviously both sides are playing games. I am not sure Suzuki has the means, but if they do and they can come back full time, sooner would be better.
  3. Mike Yanagita

Mike Yanagita Gurgling bloody mess

Oddometer:
    The reason Ezpeleta is playing hardball is because Suzuki has reneged on promises on the past, and while it would be nice to have another manufacturer in the series, it would be worse for a manufacturer to come in, sign up a rider/sponsor, then bail on them as soon as things got tough, which Suzuki has already done.

Michael Scott has been moaning about there not being enough prototypes on the grid for years; until he comes up with a sack of millions of dollars for teams to lease factory machines again, it's empty complaining. If he were running things we'd have a 12-bike grid.
  4. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
  5. bluegreen

bluegreen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This.

That article was ridiculous. I'm not a giant Dorna fan, but pretty much everything they get blamed for in the article was done by Honda (Sorry MSMA lol ).
  6. DogBoy

DogBoy Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Me again. How do they build a series by putting up roadblocks to large manufacturers with a history of supporting racing? I guess Suzuki needs to realize that Dorna is all knowing and above question or negotiation.
  7. twotyred

twotyred Practising Recedivist

Oddometer:
    Great story on the heart rate of racers!! :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
  8. Mike Yanagita

Oddometer:
    It's a little like riders and contract time: what have you done for me lately? And Suzuki has shit the bed lately.
  9. DogBoy

DogBoy Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    But where is the value for Dorna in playing games with a major manufacturer?
  10. Mike Yanagita

Oddometer:
    1. Relative to Honda and Yamaha -- pfft.

2. The MSMA is on the verge of being more trouble than it's worth.

If the factory teams were to disappear tomorrow -- like Rossi -- there would be short-term losses from the dorks, but the long-term gains to the sport would be worth it.
  11. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hate to agree, but I really think it's true. I'd love to see a field of CRT bikes and superbikes be set to BSB rules. Let the manufacturers start their own series.
  12. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    what you propose already exists its called superbikes.This is a series for prototypes.Its supposed to be the pinnacle of engineering and skill.It will be a sad day if the factories are sidelined imho.It will cease to be GP for me
  13. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the factories quit, then that's the end of MotoGP. No point in running another series with modified production bikes a la WSB.

This is why I'd like to see Suzuki return (and then also hope Honda, Yamaha or Ducati don't get fed up with something and leave).
  14. sTE610vE

sTE610vE First on the brakes, last on the gas... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in the Ducati Cafe in Rome! Having lunch a few Italian micro brews and waiting for Moto GP in Assen, GO ROSSI! :D:clap:D could get crazy after seeing the morning warmup times!
  15. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lucky mongrel!! Enjoy! :clap:lol3
  16. sTE610vE

sTE610vE First on the brakes, last on the gas... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Grazie (Italian for thank you)
    The wife is shopping and I'm watching Moto Gp, were both in our "happy places"

I can't believe Lorenzo is riding and as fast as he was in warmup!
    I have the same titanium plate and screws my collarbone and that has to be brutal trying to hold on in acceleration and braking and using the clutch 1 day after the operation!
  17. Dirt_Boy

Dirt_Boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adelaide, Australia Home of Coopers Pale Ale MMMMM
    Vale in the end at Assen..go 46
  18. Dirt_Boy

Dirt_Boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adelaide, Australia Home of Coopers Pale Ale MMMMM
    The lead, the lead :rofl
  19. 8703

8703 message in a bottle

Oddometer:
    Purists assume the sport would survive a level of obscurity. Its a risky assumption. Prototype racing at this level consumes cubic dollars and without the factory support the performance level would plummet. The separation between superbike and mgp has to be choreographed for both to survive - that's why they have one owner.
  20. sailor22

sailor22 Jay Pegg pusher

Oddometer:
    Yes, what he said. The AMA decided it didn't need the manufacturers and even with lots of NASCAR money and supposedly potential sponsors waiting in the wings there wasn't enough promo buzz to keep fan interest.

Besides the money spent on riders and bikes the manufacturers do a LOT of promotion, publicity and hospitality that directly translates into fan enthusiasm. It's their efforts that create the hero worship that keeps fan interest.